Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . there is no mention anywhere there of the dpi of the scan or the resulting file size. You might want to check those out before moving forward.

BBD
Dave,

From what I gather, it is simply a small sensor camera (suggests 20mp) with a light source and fixed focus lens. Unlike a traditional scanner, it is not a device in which scan dpi is user adjustable. Although, to be fair, even with a traditional scanner, it is best to capture at full device resolution, and downsample at a later point.

Also, as you likely know, just because a scanner advertises 5000dpi doesn't mean it can resolve to that level.

Nooch,

That device may be better with negatives than slides. Slides tend to have a higher Dmax (think of it as shadow density). Better scanners are able to differentiate areas of higher density, while less expensive devices will render such areas as solid black. Try to give it a good workout soon after delivery to verify that it satisfies your requirements.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Dave,

From what I gather, it is simply a small sensor camera (suggests 20mp) with a light source and fixed focus lens. Unlike a traditional scanner, it is not a device in which scan dpi is user adjustable. Although, to be fair, even with a traditional scanner, it is best to capture at full device resolution, and downsample at a later point.

Also, as you likely know, just because a scanner advertises 5000dpi doesn't mean it can resolve to that level.

Nooch,

That device may be better with negatives than slides. Slides tend to have a higher Dmax (think of it as shadow density). Better scanners are able to differentiate areas of higher density, while less expensive devices will render such areas as solid black. Try to give it a good workout soon after delivery to verify that it satisfies your requirements.
Sounds good. But yeah, again, my MIL (tossing out 60 might offend some of you, i don't mean to make it sound old) is pretty simple -- and technologically challenged -- just looking to do something with a box of slides. So anything will probably suffice
Old 11-27-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Sounds good. But yeah, again, my MIL (tossing out 60 might offend some of you, i don't mean to make it sound old) is pretty simple -- and technologically challenged -- just looking to do something with a box of slides. So anything will probably suffice
I do hear you and understand. However, $130 will buy you 500 professional scans from this guy: https://www.digitalscansolutions.com...scanning2.html

I've never used him, but his pedigree is ridiculously strong:
https://www.digitalscansolutions.com/about-us.html

Wouldn't hurt to send off a test batch of 50 or so. Even with my skills, that is rather tempting to not have to do it myself.

BTW, I'm 52. Its all good.