Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2014, 04:43 PM

No Grand fondo for Lance

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/...e-fondo_350166

Where it was once the wild west and the bumpkin deputy (usac) followed the big sheriff's (uci) lead, now the deputy is laying down the law and by golly we can't have the mastermind of the greatest sporting conspiracy EVER riding a fondo. Of course we shall overlook the guy putting it on & his role with a development squad. Some stuff you cant make up...

Last edited by Jgrooms; 10-23-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:47 PM

···
Old 10-22-2014, 04:55 PM

A doper not allowed to participate in an event organized by another doper is the ultimate irony.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:15 PM

And the answer is ...

I don't see any reason why the organizers would need a USAC permit for a Grand Fondo. About the only thing that a USAC permit gets you for a "fun ride" is insurance coverage - but there's other places to get that. The organizers should simply get their insurance (and whatever services USAC might provide) from somewhere else and then anyone can participate.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

What I thought was interesting was that the sanction for non-compliance would be against the rider and not the event organizer.

The bureaucrats must be pretty bored if they have to wring their hands over a fun ride.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:27 PM

If LA is unavailable, perhaps George can get the Iglinski brothers to attend. I hear they aren't doing much these days.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:41 PM
The B!

I'm sometimes struck by how much more the general non-cycling public despises Lance than we do.

Does anyone here give 2 poops about Lance Armstrong? I don't. Let the guy ride, for all I care; or don't.

But not the general public. OH HELL NO. The guy is a CHEAT, a national SHAME, a complete piece of crap. Don't let him ride anywhere in any organized event ever again! He should be in prison!

We see it as a symptom of the condition of the professional subculture as a whole, not a collective wound to our national pride. Perhaps we're (cyclists) are just less nationalistic in general.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:43 PM

I think the general public cares less than you do. In this case, it sounds like the folks are USAC are just trying to wield their power, just because they can.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:53 PM

Who exactly said "no?" USADA or USA Cycling?
Old 10-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad luskin View Post
A doper not allowed to participate in an event organized by another doper is the ultimate irony.
Plus 1

The ride is just ninety minutes from me, but not riding. Both guys let me down too much.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B View Post
I'm sometimes struck by how much more the general non-cycling public despises Lance than we do.

Does anyone here give 2 poops about Lance Armstrong? I don't. Let the guy ride, for all I care; or don't.

But not the general public. OH HELL NO. The guy is a CHEAT, a national SHAME, a complete piece of crap. Don't let him ride anywhere in any organized event ever again! He should be in prison!

We see it as a symptom of the condition of the professional subculture as a whole, not a collective wound to our national pride. Perhaps we're (cyclists) are just less nationalistic in general.
I'm not sure you're reading some of the same threads that I've seen.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 PM

Cycling Tips' article about it.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/ar...tiny-by-usada/

Aside from the utter stupidity of trying to ban people from riding glorified centuries, what strikes me odd is how Betsy Andreu is involved in about every article that comes out about Armstrong. Does she spend twenty-four hours a day following Armstrong's every step? She really seems determined to prove that Armstrong was right about her being a crazy axe grinder.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:30 PM

You won't find a bigger supporter of Lance's lifetime ban than me, but even I think this is ridiculous. Let him ride the cookie ride. I hope some folks throw rotten vegetables and fruit at the introduction.

Is Betsy going a bit overboard? Probably. But after a decade of someone calling you every name in the book publicly only to then be vindicated, a little turnabout is fair play I think.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Vendor

While preventing Lance (in isolation) from riding a recreational Fondo in absolute terms seems petty, I will say that in relative terms, when I read it I didn't like it. He does have a life ban from the professional sport.

In fact, I don't like much of the cheery gang of USPS guys hanging around the younger active pros that are there. There are quotes about TJVG training with Lance etc.

It comes down to role models. Literally, role.... models.... if I'm a pro, to me it looks like Mr. Hincapie did everything right. He's winning at life. He had a long and successful professional career. He's got a healthy business. He's got his events. Why not follow his role? Why doesn't a young pro model his life after that? He's done pretty well, no?

I also agree that these sanctioned older riders can and should be able to move on. That's fair. But do so away from the professional world of cycling and the younger pros. I actually find it hard to understand how guys (like TJVG) who are so vocal in the media about "doping cheats" want to go and do this ride anyway?

(sorry for being so verbose)

Last edited by rain dogs; 10-22-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
Cycling Tips' article about it.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/ar...tiny-by-usada/

Aside from the utter stupidity of trying to ban people from riding glorified centuries, what strikes me odd is how Betsy Andreu is involved in about every article that comes out about Armstrong. Does she spend twenty-four hours a day following Armstrong's every step? She really seems determined to prove that Armstrong was right about her being a crazy axe grinder.

No, she was right and you're in danger of shooting the messenger.

If you were to analyse the article a little more closely you'd realise that it first paraphrases years old news to introduce her name, and that either her 'comment' is based on a tweet or a very very short phone call, almost certainly initiated by the journalist.

If she is involved in comment on every article you've read it may be because her story and message has been unswervingly on point. It's called attribution, and sometimes is more like inference.

Even if a subject says 'no comment' it can be inferred as 'has reservations' or 'is scared of the consequences and will not be publicly quoted'. What happened in this case is not clear, but you are wrong to consider she might be crazy, or an axe grinder.

Betsy Andreu was right, correct, and deserves to be recognised as such. Somewhere I have the full transcript of her evidence from back then, not to mention a couple of those interesting mp3 phone recordings which made their way in to the public domain at some point (if you were interested in reviewing the evidence).