Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 AM

what size are you looking for?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 PM

There's a 54 on Ebay. You might try calling some of the shops which carry Soma to see if they have a 58. A friend tried to find a 56 but was unsuccessful and was told that Soma sold out quickly, the next batch won't be available until late November. American Cyclery in San Francisco is taking orders if you want to reserve one.
http://americancyclery.com/products/soma-wolverine
Old 10-25-2014, 08:11 AM

I actually emailed Soma and they said it will be late December before they are back in stock, but are allowing dealers to back order them.

I don't think there are any shops in my area that actually carry them.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:57 AM

I recently built up a Soma Stanyan which uses Tange DB Prestige tubing. Ride is sublime ( as is most good steel). I wanted a road'centric euro geo good looking fine handling frame that can handle larger tires (700x32c or 650Bx38) the Stanyan succeeds on all those levels. This is the last year for this model and there are some good deals if you search around. The paint with the detail of chrome on HT and fork doesn't show well in photos looks much better in person.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:52 PM

Just heard from soma today in regards to the wolverine frameset availability. They are now saying end of January.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
it comes in variety decent dimensions as can be seen when you open this pdf:

http://www.tange-design.com/tubing_list.php?type_sn=3
Japanese Columbus or maybe Deda tubing. Like 3Rensho, some Panasonics, even some Waterfords/Schwinns. That era, and Tange tubing today, is very well made stuff. Can ya tell the difference between a Soma with Tange and Surly with 4130 C-M tubes? Probably not but I'd give the nod to the Tange frame..just 'cuz.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:49 AM

Its funny how things work out sometimes, I had decided to move on from the wolverine and just cram the biggest tires I could into my dirt road/cross bike. I was able to get a 38 in the back, and a 40 in the front. I rode it all spring/summer/fall. Along the way I picked up Trek Crocket as I am switching my race bikes over to disc. It seemed like it would work good, bigger tires, disc, fender mounts etc. The thought was to switch it over to my dirt road bike after the cross season. On the local mtb forum, someone posted a new, never built wolverine in my size, so of course I can't resist emailing the guy about it just because. Well turns out, I ended up buying it how could I not? I have just about all the parts laying around to put it together. Last night I was fitting the fork and just had a mtb front wheel handy with a specialized ground control 2.3 on it, figured no way this will fit. To my surprise it fit with some extra clearance, I was very surprised. Hopefully I can get it built up this weekend.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Unless something has changed, Soma frames are not entirely Tange. The Double Cross I had was Tange in the front triangle only. Regardless, I would challenge anyone to be able to identify what type of tubing a frame is made of, excluding obvious tubesets like Max. The ride is determined by the design and build quality. Dave Kirk could make a better riding frame from just about any tubeset than Surly could with the fanciest tubes.

FWIW, my Soma broke right in the area of the butting of the top and down tubes. It was a JRA situation on a dirt walking path with a tiny dip about the size of an inverse speed bump. Probably moving about 10mph. Soma refused any warranty service and the frame was only about two months old. I've ridden the path on road bikes, rigid mtbs with narrow slicks, and have seen kids riding big box store bikes on the path often. I never had any problems except with the Soma. I was certainly not exceeding the expected capacity of the frame.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Its funny how things work out sometimes, I had decided to move on from the wolverine and just cram the biggest tires I could into my dirt road/cross bike. I was able to get a 38 in the back, and a 40 in the front. I rode it all spring/summer/fall. Along the way I picked up Trek Crocket as I am switching my race bikes over to disc. It seemed like it would work good, bigger tires, disc, fender mounts etc. The thought was to switch it over to my dirt road bike after the cross season. On the local mtb forum, someone posted a new, never built wolverine in my size, so of course I can't resist emailing the guy about it just because. Well turns out, I ended up buying it how could I not? I have just about all the parts laying around to put it together. Last night I was fitting the fork and just had a mtb front wheel handy with a specialized ground control 2.3 on it, figured no way this will fit. To my surprise it fit with some extra clearance, I was very surprised. Hopefully I can get it built up this weekend.
I am interested to hear what you think of it. I am very interested in picking one up myself.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:16 AM

I have a Soma Grand Randonneur v1 with about 3000 miles this year (including a lot of dirt roads), A Double Cross with about 300 and a SanMarcos (that didn't fit but that isn't the bikes fault) that got 500 before I sold it.

Not a squeak of trouble with any of them.

No question that Kirk or any of a number of great framebuilders could build better bikes, but for 6-10 times the price they sure should.

Soma builds decent bikes at a very fair price. They are good tools not art work. If you want to ride while you save for that Kirk they are an excellent choice...
Old 12-11-2015, 11:22 PM

I like the wolverine.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:18 AM

My buddy has a Wolverine built with belt drive and an 11 speed internal hub. I spent an afternoon on it last summer. The bike was a tank to pick up, but it rode much lighter than it carried. It didn't feel like a slug at all.
My LBS, Transit Cycles in Tucson has a nice one on display now- 1x9 SRAM and decent wheels. It feels and rides like a road bike.

I was tempted to pick up a Wolverine, but decided to put money down on a BMC cross frame as I couldn't find a reason to run disc brakes or a belt drive.

Steve
Old 12-12-2015, 12:13 PM

sjbraun -- Curious if you were considering the Wolverine for cx? It seems to have a long-and-low geo...
Old 12-12-2015, 02:09 PM

Nope. I don't do anything that resembles a race. My buddy uses his for a gravel/winter commuter in Sioux Falls.