Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2014, 03:13 PM

I'm in oakland, but my friend ( who's new to the bay area, and not yet a forum member) is in SF. That is where the thefts occurred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I guess I assumed Oakland because OPs location.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:27 PM

That sucks I have an extra 57 if you need to borrow ,
It is too bad that thieves have to live in paradise with us.

It is a beautiful day outside tis stunning today
I am serious about the loaner

Cheers
Old 01-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Thanks Fixed...he's a 54, so he fits by wifes bikes.... but if My garage gets hit, I'm looking you up!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
That sucks I have an extra 57 if you need to borrow ,
It is too bad that thieves have to live in paradise with us.

It is a beautiful day outside tis stunning today
I am serious about the loaner

Cheers
Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Fixed, you're an awesome dude.

The owner lost 5 custom bikes. Haven't even looked at the builds but north of $30000 would probably be conservative. If he needs a loaner, he could probably get Mike Sinyard, himself, to deliver a ready to ride Roubaix.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
The investment in time for either an organized theft ring or a junkie is too high. These custom bikes can never grab anywhere near their value in the black market. That's just the economics of bike theft. And the Strava/Stalking theory is also not compelling. I live within a half mile of denapista and in 3 years I've seen the guy on the road once (recognized his white Speedvagen) and that was last week when the saturday group ride swept him up on the largest street in the area. Junkies and pro thieves dont have the time to be trying to figure a potential mark's riding schedule. These Oaktown thieves seem to be lucking into boutique bikes but I bet they would be happier finding Giants and Fuji's with 808s.
I agree on the Strava theory, but the stalking doesn't really sound too far fetched to me (for a professional, not a junkie). Hang around affluent neighborhoods and watch for people riding by and note where they live. There aren't a lot of other things like this that you can steal from a garage that are as easy to smash and grab with as low a risk of encountering a human/dog/security system, and also allow you to be long gone by the time the person notices. Obviously they're not going to follow you on a 50 mile ride, but if you were to hang around an entrance to the right kind of neighborhood mid-morning on the weekend, I wouldn't think it would be that hard to pick out a person on a fancy bike and follow them to their house. Maybe a little far fetched but not totally improbable.

Unloading them is another issue all together. Not sure how they're unloading such distinct bikes.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:57 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Quote:
The investment in time for either an organized theft ring or a junkie is too high. These custom bikes can never grab anywhere near their value in the black market. That's just the economics of bike theft. And the Strava/Stalking theory is also not compelling. I live within a half mile of denapista and in 3 years I've seen the guy on the road once (recognized his white Speedvagen) and that was last week when the saturday group ride swept him up on the largest street in the area. Junkies and pro thieves dont have the time to be trying to figure a potential mark's riding schedule. These Oaktown thieves seem to be lucking into boutique bikes but I bet they would be happier finding Giants and Fuji's with 808s.
Just because junkies steal bikes it does not mean that only junkies steal bikes. There was that high end bike theft ring in LA last year that involved people using craigslist and selling bikes to a shop that were fencing the parts...wait, googling...There you go.

ABC Story on High-end Bike Theft Ring

It seems like these guys are doing different research than the guys cutting locks downtown and pawning whatever they grab. I imagine most thieves would have a difficult time taking five bikes from a location. You'd have to plan ahead.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
Just because junkies steal bikes it does not mean that only junkies steal bikes. There was that high end bike theft ring in LA last year that involved people using craigslist and selling bikes to a shop that were fencing the parts...wait, googling...There you go.

ABC Story on High-end Bike Theft Ring

It seems like these guys are doing different research than the guys cutting locks downtown and pawning whatever they grab. I imagine most thieves would have a difficult time taking five bikes from a location. You'd have to plan ahead.
That was my thinking. You see a steelman on a roof rack and you follow it home. Chances are person has other nice things that might or might not be bike related.

Could be luck too though. Who knows.

In any case I'll be on the lookout.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:14 PM

I've had a few bikes stolen in the past years - bontrager racelite, sycip, and IF mtb. it sucked so bad that i stop riding for about a year. worst feeling ever so i definitely feel for the owners of those bikes/frame.

as for craigslist and also thieves following you home because your bike is on the roof during transport, i've also thought about that every time i list or transport my bikes. but, i believe that the Man up there is very fair. we lose our bikes and eventually get new one to ride because of our love for the sport. in return, we have good health and more time to spend with our love ones. the thieves that steel from us will eventually die of cancer. so yeah!

sorry for the rant. this hits home and i feel bad for the OP's friend.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM

"The investment in time for either an organized theft ring or a junkie is too high. These custom bikes can never grab anywhere near their value in the black market. That's just the economics of bike theft. And the Strava/Stalking theory is also not compelling. I live within a half mile of denapista and in 3 years I've seen the guy on the road once (recognized his white Speedvagen) and that was last week when the saturday group ride swept him up on the largest street in the area. Junkies and pro thieves dont have the time to be trying to figure a potential mark's riding schedule."

Lots of the thefts are by junkies and opportunists but there are folks stalking neighborhoods and the internet looking for easy marks. Ask someone with a law enforcement background what they think of people who post pictures of their mancaves and high priced toys or discuss their vacation plans or race schedules on a public forum...... intelligent successful people often lack basic street smarts.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:52 PM

Only takes one guy to make a crime wave. Could be an individual who knows bikes and settled on this niche. Or it could be someone who is just hitting garages, power tools and hi-end bikes would be the most valuable items usually encountered.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Post Mod-ern

I would wager . . .

. . . the perp is someone with cycling community connections. Somehow they are learning where these bikes are. I doubt these owners are the types who just leave their garage doors open all the time.

BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Oakland has now been warned.

That's two high end bike thefts out of Oakland garages in a matter of a couple months. Someone is targeting these high end rigs and has found a way to unload them quick.

I've got my eyes peeled.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 01-15-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
"The investment in time for either an organized theft ring or a junkie is too high. These custom bikes can never grab anywhere near their value in the black market. That's just the economics of bike theft. And the Strava/Stalking theory is also not compelling. I live within a half mile of denapista and in 3 years I've seen the guy on the road once (recognized his white Speedvagen) and that was last week when the saturday group ride swept him up on the largest street in the area. Junkies and pro thieves dont have the time to be trying to figure a potential mark's riding schedule."

Lots of the thefts are by junkies and opportunists but there are folks stalking neighborhoods and the internet looking for easy marks. Ask someone with a law enforcement background what they think of people who post pictures of their mancaves and high priced toys or discuss their vacation plans or race schedules on a public forum...... intelligent successful people often lack basic street smarts.
Right, and if the thieves know what they're doing, they use that vacation info or ride info to hit you when you're not home. Then, they take things that actually have value, eg, jewelry, electronics and cash.

Last edited by beeatnik; 01-15-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 PM

That absolutely sucks! Hope they catch the thief.
Makes me appreciate where I live, haven't locked a car door in my driveway in 25 years.

Mike
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 PM

At the condo..I leave one bike downstairs in the locked bike room ,the bianchi commuter gravel grinder

But the Bottecchia is right next to even now I bought three locks since I have been here
I hate thieves

Cheers

Last edited by Fixed; 01-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Fixed, you're an awesome dude.

The owner lost 5 custom bikes. Haven't even looked at the builds but north of $30000 would probably be conservative. If he needs a loaner, he could probably get Mike Sinyard, himself, to deliver a ready to ride Roubaix.
Wow I have noticed since I moved many movers and shakers /important people live here ..cool
Cheers