Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
The Jet 6 Plus are 1734g/pr. Are you looking at used, demo, or NOS FR?
I was looking at the Hed Jet 6+ FR's. I see some different weights quoted....
1660g on Competitive Cyclist's website, but then further down in the specs it says 1760.
On HED's website it claims 1734.....
Even if the difference is 150 grams from the other wheelsets, its not a decision maker for me. Those small weight amounts simply make no difference in speed.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Those small weight amounts simply make no difference in speed.
Okay.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Okay.
Don't take my word for it. Tons of info via Google, etc. Hard to argue against physics..
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Don't take my word for it. Tons of info via Google, etc. Hard to argue against physics..
Solo speed, yes, I agree, and in fact my Jets (6/9) are faster than my Bastognes/Ardennes when I ride solo. If solo riding is your concern then the rest of my typing doesn't apply.

The problem is you have to apply the physics properly to get an accurate comparison. I can't find any calculations that illustrate some balance between acceleration (to stay in the draft) and aero/weight savings in a group situation (group ride or race). There's definitely punishment for not being able to accelerate quickly and stay in the draft.

For me I've always, without question, found that heavier wheels, even aero, handicap me in most race situations. They force me to work much harder when I accelerate, wearing me out quickly. Exception is if the race is such that there are sustained speeds and not much accelerating (so few turns and huge fields).

In fact when I go truck hunting (typically goal is to draft at 45 mph) I use non-aero Bastogne/Ardennes because I have such a hard time accelerating up to speed with the Jets. Around here most of my "draft zones" are flat so it really hurts to use the Jets.

In CA I got to link up with a few trucks in slight downgrade areas so even though the drafting ended up on slight uphills, I could use the downgrade to offset the weight penalty. First draft, yellow truck, is at about 2:30 and I have a Bastogne front, Jet 9 rear. Second draft, white truck, immediately after, I have the Jet 6/9. I went a touch faster in the second draft.

I used the Bastogne front on the bit with the descent because it was a long day to/from Palomar, I'd have a few 50+ mph descents, and the Jet 6 was scary at 50 mph with the white trucks.

I raced a crit (Red Trolley) the last Sunday of that SoCal trip and I chose to use the Bastognes, not the Jets. If I'd known better I'd have brought the Bastognes and the Stingers.

Actually I never would have bought the Jets, period.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I was looking at the Hed Jet 6+ FR's. I see some different weights quoted....
1660g on Competitive Cyclist's website, but then further down in the specs it says 1760.
On HED's website it claims 1734.....
Even if the difference is 150 grams from the other wheelsets, its not a decision maker for me. Those small weight amounts simply make no difference in speed.
In a lab, w/o a rider, they actually do, teeny, tiny differences. But with a human on the bike, whether or not the day started with a healthy trip to the loo makes more difference than 150 grams on your wheels.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
In a lab, w/o a rider, they actually do, teeny, tiny differences. But with a human on the bike, whether or not the day started with a healthy trip to the loo makes more difference than 150 grams on your wheels.
Exactly.
I absolutely agree that light wheels can make a bike -feel- different underneath you. But in terms of speed, its just not there. About the only time it is barely measureable is when having to accelerate from a stop, and that is very rare in a ride/race, and even that acceleration is very brief. Accelerating in a crit from 30km/hr in a sharp corner back up to 40+km/hr, it just doesn't make a diff.
I know lots will disagree, thats OK.
Fact is, the mind is pretty powerful. If you've convinced yourself that you are faster on lighter wheels, then you probably will be.

As power meters become more common, and folks do more and more testing, more and more myths are dispelled. Aside from weight, another good myth is how aero doesn't matter until you get beyond a certain speed...... Oh, and then there is the 'rotating mass is more important' myth....

Anyway, happy Friday!

Last edited by oldguy00; 10-24-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks all for the input.
Ended up getting a great deal from a fellow Slowtwitcher on a new set of Jet 6's ('old' 23mm version), couldn't pass up the deal.

Cheers