Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2014, 07:25 AM

I am following this closely because I have a 9000 group showing up (hopefully) today for a project I've got going.

I have Campagnolo cables that are years old, with thousands of miles, and work great, with no adjustment or wear.

The 9000 stuff on my Indy Fab Gravel Royale has worked very nicely so far but the bike has fewer than 1000 miles on it, probably far fewer. Likely closer to 600 or 700.

The road bike will get many more. I certainly hope this doesn't turn into a big deal or that I can figure out the right way to avoid this issue as I can't think of a bigger turnoff than having a cable start to fray or break in the housing every few hundred miles and need replacement with a $20 cable.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:27 AM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I can't think of a bigger turnoff than having a cable start to fray or break in the housing every few hundred miles and need replacement with a $20 cable.
I'm not exactly sure how much I got out of this first cable before it broke, but I would estimate it about 100 hours of ride time.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like it's an hour from me by metro. I did buy some used rollers in that area a couple of days ago. There were a lot of cyclists out there.

On another Madrid-related theme, I've been riding in the Sierra to the north, including a Cat 1 climb called la Morcuera that is often used in the Vuelta. It's just shy of 10k at 7% avg with 1k at 10%. It's really cool to get the feel of an actual grand tour climb. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. Apparently, Contador has done it in 22 mins. I haven't been able to get under 34 yet. I'm sure I can get 32 in the spring but it would take a lot to dip under 30. We get relatively few chances in cycling to compare our efforts to the pros. It's just jaw dropping.
I don't know where you live, but you could take the Cercanias, it'd be much faster. Or ride out there... if you're planning/doing 9.2km climbs that average 7% in 34-30 minutes you're strong enough to beat the train commute out there (that's what... rough calc ~4.5-5.0 W/kg?)

Just get to the Anillo Verde Ciclista and ride it until you get to the bridge over the M-40 that goes to Vicalvaro... follow Ctra. de Vicalvaro a Coslada to the bike path to Avenida Espana into Coslada... then to San Fernando.

Stop for a caņa and a bite at Cafe Xana 7 in Coslada (Calle Mejico 1)... that's my wife's Parents cafe. It's a nice ride... well, provided you don't live way out in Majadahonda or something.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:20 PM

Makes me sad reading this. I have a 9000 (not 9001) setup that I built when 9000 first came out with no issues at all. Same set of cables since day 1.

Makes me worry if this is going to happen to me. Just looked under my hoods and the cable looks fine.....
Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-4 View Post
Makes me sad reading this. I have a 9000 (not 9001) setup that I built when 9000 first came out with no issues at all. Same set of cables since day 1.

Makes me worry if this is going to happen to me. Just looked under my hoods and the cable looks fine.....
How many miles do you have on the shifters?
Mine go every 5000 miles or so. I'm sure shifting habits come into play YMMV.