Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Incstlouis

Jamaica - Should I take the Mtn. Bike?

I'm heading to Jamaica with the family next week and I am contemplating taking the mtn. bike with me.

Any opinions or good places to ride? I understand that Jamaica has the 3rd worst driving fatality rate in the world (behind Ethiopia & India). I am a little bit reluctant.

Anybody have an experiences to share or insight into cycling in Jamaica? I will be staying in the Discovery Bay area about 1/2 way between Montego Bay & Ocho Rios.

Any information would be appreciated.

JL
Old 03-15-2007, 05:43 PM
aka Terry Keele

although i've been to jamaica a few times, i've never brought a bike. i suspect you'd have a low probability of bringing it back home with you.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Is this roundtrip?

Dirt Rag (that esteemed mag *cough*) had an article about mountain biking in Jamaica...sounded like fun. Don't know if you have any rentals available on the island or not...

I did see something about the 8th annual Jamaica mtb festival...but it was in February. Awww.

Last edited by Ginger; 03-15-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 PM
tʌɪˈteɪniəm

bring a lighter

get to know your cab driver................he will be your best friend and get ya'

whatever you need

enjoy
Old 03-15-2007, 06:15 PM

I did a little mtn biking in jamaica and had a blast. In the countryside the people were great and very friendly. I think some of the citys can be risky but I only had great experience. It was be much hillier than I thought and the drivers while not trying to hit you do drive fast on roads that are not great.

Mike
Old 03-16-2007, 07:51 AM

Hello , I love the islands ,dancing young girls ,drinking smoking ,eating .never thought of a bike .
adios
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whittington0213 old gesser.jpg (111.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 AM

My wife and I have been travelling to Jamaica often for the past several years and have some experience working in a few of the inland, rural villages. If you're going to be staying at a resort on the North Coast, I say leave the bike at home and enjoy the rum. I don't think I'd try to venture out from one of the resorts in Montego Bay or Ochio Rios on a bike - way too much traffic, crazy driving, and bad roads (although they're getting better).

However, at some point I hope to have an S and S coupled cyclocross bike to use to explore some of the villages and backroads. Still crazy drivers, but they're used to dodging people on foot and on bikes on the roads, so I'd be willing to take my chances. I think riding some of these rural roads on a mtn. bike would be a lot of fun too.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:59 PM

Drive Scary Bad

Been to Jamaica just once for a few hours. Long enough to know that I would never attempt to drive there. As for riding a bike there, think I would pass on that as well unless I really knew more about the area I would be riding in.

Remember - unless you are from England, Australia or some other left had driving country, they drive on the wrong side of the road. Actually, they drive all over the road.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Incstlouis

It's all good

I brought the bike despite all the advice.

I am on the North side of the Island and the roads are fine. I am not venturing into the mountains, but the main roads have a good shoulder and I even ran into a couple from Germany that were circling the island.

It isn't the best place to ride, but I like getting out and getting a little of the local flavor.

The rest of the time has been spent drinking Rum punch and hanging at this amazing beach at Discovery Bay. We've got these sea kayaks and the kids are having a blast. Check this out:

Sea Kayak went vertical
Old 03-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Great! Glad it's working out for you. I'd be interested in hearing more about the riding if there's more to tell when you get back.