Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 AM

Gavilan or Orucase Travel Bags

Has anyone used either of these bags which might be best. Before you say it I would love to own an SS coupled or breakaway frame. I dont.
Hard cases are gigantic and wont fit within British Airways free baggage guidelines and frankly are not easy to get on and off trains. So these two bags look to be the most compact options for a non coupled frame.
Are there any alternatives ?? The Gavilan measures 32 x 28 x 8 so my 53 frame will fit with fork removed. I have been looking at oversize luggage but have found nothing else and no hard case small enough.
Anyone have experience with either of these. ??
Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Administrator

have you looked at the Scicon soft bag offerings? they look like they might be a good compromise of soft bag and decent protection?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM

no experience here but I know Dan Chabanov at bonedeth.tumblr.com has mentioned using the Gavilan a few times in the past. I believe a friend of his makes them (IIRC), but I'm sure he could still provide some insight as to it's utility. perhaps message him over there?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 PM

I do not personally have the Gavilian, but I know a bunch of folks who do and have nothing but good things to say. Plus, Gavi is a good dude who I am sure will answer any questions you have.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 PM

Never have had a Gavilan, but have packed a fancy bike in an Orucase several times and was impressed by its construction and detail. That bike most recently went to Belgium and back with multiple TSA checks with zero issues.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBROOKLYN View Post
Has anyone used either of these bags which might be best. Before you say it I would love to own an SS coupled or breakaway frame. I dont.
Hard cases are gigantic and wont fit within British Airways free baggage guidelines and frankly are not easy to get on and off trains. So these two bags look to be the most compact options for a non coupled frame.
Are there any alternatives ?? The Gavilan measures 32 x 28 x 8 so my 53 frame will fit with fork removed. I have been looking at oversize luggage but have found nothing else and no hard case small enough.
I've used an Orucase for ~3 years. Liked it so much immediately that my wife bought one, too - we loaned ours out to friends and a half a dozen of them also turned around and bought onen.

I've never gotten a second look at an airline counter. Never had a problem packing it. It's so well protected and cinched down, but there's also room to stuff a helmet, riding clothes, shoes, and water bottle in some of the spots in the bag.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:00 PM

Hey Angry yep I looked at a icon but it's really big compared to the ones I noted. For those who have an Orucase what sort of dimensions do they have and how tough is it to pack without the clamshell design. Seems no one on here uses the Gavilan.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
No experience with the Gavilan, but I am now using the Orucase. It is pretty easy and fast to pack the bike in the thing. The padding and organization are good. The easiest way to see the packing procedure is to go to their website and click on the 'packing instructions' header. The case only weighs about 10-12lbs, and so, fully loaded you can get into the low 30s overall. Very manageable. Also, if you have a swivel suitcase, it can sit right on top of the suitcase and you can roll the whole mess around the station or the airport.
Perhaps importantly, a 53 frame might fit into a legal sized Orucase (the 62 inch thing). You can contact the guys with your frame dimensions and they'll tune the bag for it.
The only thing I have found that is awkward is that the wheel location, while safe and sound for the wheels, places the hub right in the middle of my back if I am trying to carry it with the backpack straps. But since there is no need to do that (for me), it is not a biggie. This is a good product, imho.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 AM

Thanks all for the info. Looks like the Orucase is very popular. I will drop them a line with my measurements and see what they com up with. I noticed hey talk about hard sided insets on their website.. I guess that makes a more protective sleeve than the padded only Gavilan.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Looks like the Orucase......I noticed hey talk about hard sided insets on their website.. ....
There is a sheet of poly with holes for hubs on the outside of the wheel locations on either side, which stiffens things up when the case is zippered.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 PM

They also say they make them to fit your own bike,,, And I still have my build sheet from when I had my frame made so can shoot that to them for measurements.. Looks like unless somebody hits me over the head with a big compelling reason why Gavilan is better I will go with Orucase.. $75 cheaper too...
Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Pika is the way to go
Old 03-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Pika is too big.. outside the allowable limit for BA.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:01 PM

It's definitely not as small as the Galivan but you don't have to take off the fork with the Pika case. I've used or tried using the Galivan for my bike (~53cm) and I couldn't get it to fit and was hesitant to start forcing everything in the case. It felt like something was going to get damaged. I've gotten away with bike fees from airlines using the Pika - I just tell them it's video or photography equipment. It's easier to get away with it with a Pika case because it doesn't look like a bike case. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:47 PM

Yeah the Gavilan doesn't look like a bike case at all.. Taking off the fork is absolutely no big deal for me, since I build my on bikes up and self maintain them anyway. Wonder if it has poly inserts ??