Old 01-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
I like the serfas thunderbolt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
I'm using the NiteRider Solas USB.
Those are my two favorites. Both have a very bright blinking mode, a very bright non-blinking (solid) mode, and a not-very-bright non-blinking paceline mode.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:01 PM
not banished

Dinotte, Dinotte, Dinotte - I had the 300r and sold it on pace line and got the new quad. Smaller and lighter, result is I use it all the time (not that the 300R was huge, but smaller is smaller).

It's all over the place on this forum - there is Dinette and then everything else.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:24 PM

those are 3 of my favorites

All 3 seem to do the job you'd expect for the price you paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Amsterdam: (with bike content!)

Old 01-05-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I would avoid the Knog Blinder like it had the plague. I gave up on my third Blinder after it broke two rides in. Badly designed hunk of junk.
I've given up on them too, but for a different reason. I get nowhere near the "mileage" out of them that Knog claim. Even on the flashing mode I'm lucky if a charge will last more than a couple of hours. Feels like I'm forever recharging the damn things.

I've got 3 and they're all the same. Very disappointed, so I moved to a Cateye.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
Dinotte, Dinotte, Dinotte - I had the 300r and sold it on pace line and got the new quad. Smaller and lighter, result is I use it all the time (not that the 300R was huge, but smaller is smaller).

It's all over the place on this forum - there is Dinette and then everything else.

I prefer the Dinotte SP mount because it can be installed/uninstalled in seconds with a 4mm hex, without a rubber pad in between.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:37 PM

Serfas was infiltrated by water after a few hours in the rain. Returned. I picked up a Cygolite Hotshot Micro, it's great, made in murica too, surprisingly. Recommend

I'd love a Dinotte or a Designshine, and rationally it makes sense to spend money on not getting run over. However, i wonder if having 2 or 3 Hotshots scattered all over me and my bike is a better strategy.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:02 PM

I've got a few cygolite hotshots myself.

I recently installed on my commuter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For $13 shipped, I figured it couldn't hurt to try. I have one on the front and one on the back, each using one of these filters to spread the pattern (red in back, clear in front):

http://www.amazon.com/Angle-Magicshi...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I've only got a couple rides in, but they seem good for what I spent. Very bright, on my first ride I had a kid on a bike coming towards me tell me that the headlight hurt his eyes - and this was in morning light riding (was still working on height adjustment at that point). I rigged up a way to permanently attach one to my rack in the back using the provided helmet mount with the straps removed.

Anyways, at some point I may spring for a dinotte, but this seems to get you 75%+ of the brightness for about 5-10% of the cost.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramor View Post
Designshine Lights I have had set of these lights for 2 1/2 years. Won't go out on the roads without them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
I like the serfas thunderbolt. very easy to put on and off, no mount etc.
try the new opauqe color. can be seen from the side really well.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view...%7Ctail-lights
If budget wasn't a concern I go with Designshine. Giving that my commute isn't long enough and don't ride enough in the dark with the time change i tried out the Serfas. I've had it for over two years no complaints, easy to mount.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:29 PM

I just bought two of these:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've only used them on two rides but they're bright and seem to be well made. And they're cheap!

I also am riding full time with a tail light flashing. The roads are not getting any safer.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:39 PM

I really wish dinotte would have a MUP brightness setting. I sold mine because they were just too bright for MUP use. It became a hassle to turn it on and off.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I'm pretty happy with the CatEye Rapid 5. I've been told by others that it's pretty easy to see (on flash) from a distance even in bright daylight. It has 5 settings so group rides aren't a problem.
i like the cateye rapid x. i'm vain and like it's really slim profile when mounted to a seatpin. usb charging is handy, too.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Administrator

i dont own one, but i've heard really good things about exposure tail lights. i just purchased a nice dinotte set-up here on the forum, or i might spring for one of these:

Old 01-05-2015, 05:14 PM

Anything new/interesting in the world of red tail lights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
My usual go to light is a Dinotte 300R, but its mounting bracket makes it impossible to use on my seatpost if I also want to use a small saddle bag. It's a big light, that sits upward from the mounting bracket, taking up most of the seatpost length. I'm a firm believer in keeping the light as high and centered as possible, eliminating the choice to use it on chain or seat stays.

I recently purchased a Serfas TL-80...great light, small profile and very bright. However, I can't recommend it due to the mounting bracket. The light itself is fairly heavy and it simply overwhelms the cheap bracket that ships with the unit. After a few bumps the light will begin to tilt down, rendering it much less effective. Since I really like the light, I'm about to use some super glue to fix the mounting angle. Hopefully that will fix the problem with an otherwise perfect light.

I had the same problem with my Serfas until I applied Loctite to the teeth of the holder. Seems to work better.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:21 PM

I use Lezyne Micro Drive, 70 Lm and Serfas' TL-STN Taillight on my seat stay. It is an effective combo.