Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2022, 06:25 PM

Feb 2024 Return of the endless 2022 Crux Headset Problem

February 2024 Update: The headset now seems to be coming loose every time I ride. As far as I can tell, the stem must be slipping. It is a newer EA70 stem, torqued to 5NM on both bolts.

It is nice and quiet after readjusting the pre-load (to 5nm, as specified by S) and torquing the stem bolts but after a couple of big climbs, it starts to make noise, and it just gets louder and louder as the headset gets slightly looser. If I stop and pull/push on the bars, I can feel play.

Specialized says not to use friction paste on the steerer - maybe I should just ignore that? I have Motorex friction paste, which is much less gritty than others like Park that I've used.

Not sure what else to do here other than to replace the stem. I could try to take to a Specialized shop but the problem will be hard for them to reproduce if they don't take it out and ride it properly.

Latest Update Aug 2023: A Cane Creek 40 IS42 replacement upper seems to have fixed the issue - works exactly as every other headset I've had. Best $30 I've spent in a long time. One concern is that there is a ~1mm gap between the cover and the headtube - see picture below. Is this normal? Photo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SfMTk5wfXVMDKGVz6

Previous updates:

Not resolved after all, I've been dealing with headset noise for the last year. I'm going to try to call Spec or take this to a shop but figured I would post here again in case I don't get help elsewhere.

Essentially, even when the headset is properly pre-loaded (eg there is no play when holding the brake and rocking the front wheel), there is play (a sort of knocking) if I lift up the handlebars and push them hard on the ground. This only goes away if I tighten the top-cap so much that the headset binds completely. It almost seems like something is missing but all of the parts are there, as far as I can tell.

I have assembled and disassembled the headset a few times in the past few months and replaced the bottom bearing, which had no impact.

Any suggestions?

Hey y'all,

Just reassembling my 2022 Crux after packing it for a trip (that didn't happen). After torquing the top cap, the headset is completely bound by 5nm and even 2nm feels a hair too tight.

I was initially surprised by Specialized's recommendation to torque the top cap bolt to 5Nm but was previously having issues with play before reading the manual and properly torquing.

"Install the headset cover, spacers and stem, followed by the top cap and bolt. Using a 4 mm Hex key, torque the bolt to 44 in-lbf / 5.0 Nm."

Manual here - page 15 (18 actually).

https://media.specialized.com/suppor...AL_ENGLISH.pdf

What could I have done wrong/what could have gone wrong? Not missing any pieces, don't have anything upside-down...

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by proletariandan; 02-29-2024 at 03:57 PM.