Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Assuming this is on the inside of the left dropout, then the serial number on this C59 being sold on eBay from the same seller looks like it is painted over too...

Old 06-18-2015, 11:42 AM

It may be interesting to ask the seller specifically for the Serial # on the frame above, and just see how he responds...
Old 06-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerv View Post
It may be interesting to ask the seller specifically for the Serial # on the frame above, and just see how he responds...
Painted over serial #- not good.

The seller better have the sense not to mess with Paceline CIS

Last edited by enr1co; 06-18-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 PM

Frame

I read a book last year by an American living in Amsterdam called the Amsterdam Cyclist (I think). Very good, interesting, explaining the history of bikes and cycling there. There was a large emphasis on stolen bikes there. It's really unbelievable, thousands upon thousands every year. Large market for them there, known dealers, where to get them. People would even buy a bike to ride home for the night because it was cheaper than other forms of transportation. So, point being it wouldn't be unheard of to be buying a stolen bike from there, or there be some organized form of sales of them.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:32 PM

I'm glad this thread has at least brought the issue to everyone's attention!

It just keeps getting weirder for me... I have been in contact with the seller through email over the last couple days;

1. He claims he purchased the frameset new at an authorized dealer in Tuscany, but he didn't check the serial number or the paperwork. Tredici in Montemurlo is the dealer he supposedly purchased it from.

2. He has not provided any documentation to support the above claim.

3. He has no idea how or why the serial number was painted over, nor why it would be partially scratched off.

4. When asked about the other c59 he currently has listed (why the painted over serial number), he claimed, again, that he wasn't aware and stated that he would update the listing (I haven't checked yet).

He has supposedly has purchased (and subsequently sold) over 20 C59 framesets, yet was unaware of any issues with the serial numbers.

5. He asked for my phone number to speak directly. I did not provide it, as I prefer to keep all communications easily documented (email). Somehow he managed to get my cell number and call me anyhow (which I let go to voicemail).

6. He had offered to allow me to return the frame at his cost, though obviously that will not solve the larger issue at hand.

To top it all off, the gents at Colnago are sure the frameset is a legit Colnago C59, though I haven't heard back (as of yet) on my request for any advice on how to proceed from here (hoping they'd have some insight from perhaps dealing with similar situations).
Old 06-18-2015, 03:56 PM

Any chance to contact Tredici ? Time to google
Old 06-18-2015, 03:57 PM

Update:

Just received another email stating he is going to talk directly with the dealer to "understand the reason for the issue with the serial number".

He also informed me that he "decided to end the other listing from the C59 as I want to make sure what is going on"

SO we will see what transpires from here.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdiggler View Post
Any chance to contact Tredici ? Time to google
Google doesn't tell me much, as everything is in Italian and the translate feature isn't always available. Perhaps someone who understands the language can check it out?
Old 06-18-2015, 04:00 PM

found their blog with pictures

http://ciclitredici.blogspot.com/
Old 06-18-2015, 09:48 PM

This is so interesting! Paceline detectives solved the crime-now, how to mete out the punishment? Does ebay have any policies about their sellers' stock sources? Doubtful. But this guy, since 2007, that's a lot of hot merch. If there was a way to screw that merchant, I would advocate it. Arrange a return and then don't return the frame??? Who knows? It seems like you're close to figuring this out. Now the real question is: now that you've done the due diligence, do you keep the frame? I smell a paceline poll...but if I were you, I wouldn't follow the poll. You can make your own decision. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Paceline detectives solved the crime-now, how to mete out the punishment? !
I completely disagree: At best, Paceline detectives has established that the seller in question is selling apparently legitimate colnago frames with partially removed serial numbers...The source: stolen? B-stock that didn't make quality control? Frames delivered to pro teams that were not used? I agree the removal of the serial numbers is suspect...but gathering a lynch mob seems a bit pre-emptive...or is innocent until proven guilty a strictly european thing? There were literally hundreds of ex-pro C50's and C40's on the Dutch market when Rabo still used Colnago...
Old 06-19-2015, 12:19 PM

The only thing the op needs to do IMO is to try to find the truth of why the S/N issue, why that was done. Well the frame could have been resprayed just to make it look new and get more money out of it or was maybe damaged, then returned to colnago to get it fixed and due to that was resprayed.

With a little bit of luck the seller should tell the OP the story straight. Maybe even knock a few bucks to the OP to make him feel better??
Old 06-19-2015, 01:15 PM

Since the seller has a few frames without serial number/obliterated serial number, could he be buying through a non-authorized distributor who is trying to protect themselves by removing the tracability of the frame?
Old 06-19-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
The only thing the op needs to do IMO is to try to find the truth of why the S/N issue, why that was done. Well the frame could have been resprayed just to make it look new and get more money out of it or was maybe damaged, then returned to colnago to get it fixed and due to that was resprayed.

With a little bit of luck the seller should tell the OP the story straight. Maybe even knock a few bucks to the OP to make him feel better??
Agreed, and that's what I've been trying to do. The seller has been receptive throughout, though seemingly evasive at certain points, which may have something to do with English being his second language.

Here's the latest update;

Seller went to the store where he purchased the frameset(s). This is what he was told apparently: "He told me that these frame sets are ex professional team bikes which had been repainted."

Hence the reason for the missing/scratched off serial number.

I honestly am not at all familiar with this. Is it consistent with what race teams/manufacturers do?

Do I have anything to worry about with it being an ex-race bike?

Opinions please!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:03 PM

C59 Italia retails for nearly 6 grandz

You got a GREAT deal. Just ride the thing.

Enjoyed the forensics doe.

Here's my C59 Italia. I bought it used with very low miles. When I received it, I felt that it looked beat to caca for a newish frame. That's just the nature of Colnagos, I sink. In any case, once I started riding the thing, all my reservations faded. C59 is the best production carbon fiber frame set ever made. End of Story.

Last edited by beeatnik; 06-19-2015 at 03:11 PM.