Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2015, 07:59 AM

Colnago C59 - missing serial number??

Seems like a fake, good luck getting a refund. That's why I don't like to buy off eBay . At least you have some recourse with PayPal/ eBay .
Old 06-17-2015, 09:43 AM

I generally don't buy off eBay for this type of item either, and this is exactly why.

I sent the pictures to Colnago and just heard back from them. The consensus there is that it appears genuine from their examination of the pictures, but they can't know for sure without the serial number.

I'm wondering it it, in fact, wasn't resprayed and the serial number painted over? I still haven't heard back from the seller as of yet. I don't want to try and remove the paint from the dropout until I hear from them, less they (and eBay/PayPal) refuse to refund because I "modified" the item.

I do have to say that it it is a fake, the paint is phenomenal.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:09 AM

This is perplexing. What's going on with that tranzx seat collar? The rest of the C59's I see online have Colnago branded collars...but this is used and tranzx is a german company... Do you live near a Colnago dealer? Go in and compare the frames side by side. If it's a fake, the weight might be off, but any inconsistency would show up faster. How "low but not too low" was your offer? There's not a huge market for used 48cm frames from last year, I would lean towards legitimate--the only funny business being the serial number being blacked out on the owner's manual (possibly from another frame), and the absence of a serial on the frame itself. In the images I've seen online, the serial stamped on the rear non-driveside chainstay is clearly legible. Your ebay seller has some 'splaining to do about that. Good luck! Keep us updated. You should be covered by eBay and Paypal if anything goes wrong.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhumston View Post
I sent the pictures to Colnago and just heard back from them. The consensus there is that it appears genuine from their examination of the pictures, but they can't know for sure without the serial number.
From the listing pics, it looks like a C59- the front derail mount and downtube mounts look OK, tube shapes look legit. Was this frame supposed to be new/unbuilt? From the listing pics, it looks like no parts were mounted on the BB face, derailleur mounts or wheels in the dropouts as the paint in those areas looks untouched.

Are you able to post pics you sent to Colnago?

Last edited by enr1co; 06-17-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
From the listing pics, it looks like a C59- the front derail mount and downtube mounts look OK, tube shapes look legit. Was this frame supposed to be new/unbuilt? From the listing pics, it looks like no parts were mounted on the BB face, derailleur mounts or wheels in the dropouts as the paint in those areas looks untouched.

Are you able to post pics you sent to Colnago?
I sent a link of the listing to Colnago. I would like to give them a shout out, as they were very helpul and took the time to look over them.

I snapped a close up Macro pic of the left rear drop out. After looking close, it appears the serial number has been painted over. I'll let everyone else chime in and see what they think. Here is the pic;

Old 06-17-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
This is perplexing. What's going on with that tranzx seat collar? The rest of the C59's I see online have Colnago branded collars...but this is used and tranzx is a german company... Do you live near a Colnago dealer? Go in and compare the frames side by side. If it's a fake, the weight might be off, but any inconsistency would show up faster. How "low but not too low" was your offer? There's not a huge market for used 48cm frames from last year, I would lean towards legitimate--the only funny business being the serial number being blacked out on the owner's manual (possibly from another frame), and the absence of a serial on the frame itself. In the images I've seen online, the serial stamped on the rear non-driveside chainstay is clearly legible. Your ebay seller has some 'splaining to do about that. Good luck! Keep us updated. You should be covered by eBay and Paypal if anything goes wrong.
Funny thing is, I actually noticed the seatpost collar, as I had that concern as well! When I realized it was a German company, it actually assuaged my concerns (i.e it wasn't a cheap china part).

I don't mind posting what I paid, as I won't resell it (legit or fake, obviously), but my offer was for $1700 (all inclusive). Again, not cheap, but not a "screaming deal" either.

check the just posted pic of the rear dropout. I'm now 90% certain in was painted over, which in itself is disconcerting.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 AM

If it has been re-painted, why ? If you were not told about it it sounds fishy.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
If it has been re-painted, why ? If you were not told about it it sounds fishy.
Exactly. From the picture I posted, you can clearly see the outline of the serial number "stamping".

I'm guessing just the serial number was painted over, which again, is very disconcerting. The paint on the rest of the frameset is absolutely flawless, while this dropout is not.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Definitely looks like this dropout area was painted over and re-cleared - enough to fill in the serial # impressions.

Dropout areas typically get paint chips, use wear here so its expected. Probably should have left it as is. Painting over it like this just creates questions.

Perhaps the bottom bracket area is painted over also which may explain why
the BB faces look to have all the (re spray )paint intact?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 AM

I found a few more C59's posted by italian_bicycles_world_wide_shipping, the serial number is either obstructed or painted over in all their photos. I have to say, the Chinese versions are pretty close. Fingers crossed that you get a believable story from the seller--also, a vote of confidence for the Colnago people. They must look at Chinese fakes all day--they should be much more familiar with what the differences are. If they gave it an ok, that's a good start. Keep us updated!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:45 AM

I sent the picture to Mauro at Colnago (who, again, has been extremely helpful), and he agrees that it is there, and has been painted over.

I've sent another message to the seller asking about this, and requesting permission to remover the paint to verify the serial number. Obviously I shouldn't have to ask, but I want everything documented if anything untoward is going on.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:53 AM

Well the frame could have arrived damaged to HOlland, and then repaired and repainted or in italy or in holland, not that is has to be sent too far or nobody in holland cant fix a carbon frame not paint a bike.

With the serial number in hand there is a big chance that colnago knows why the thick paint.

BTW you dont need to peel that off just sand it a little bit.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I found a few more C59's posted by italian_bicycles_world_wide_shipping, the serial number is either obstructed or painted over in all their photos. I have to say, the Chinese versions are pretty close. Fingers crossed that you get a believable story from the seller--also, a vote of confidence for the Colnago people. They must look at Chinese fakes all day--they should be much more familiar with what the differences are. If they gave it an ok, that's a good start. Keep us updated!
I actually looked very closely at those pics, and there are some glaring differences. The most obvious to me, is the braze on for the front derailleur. Also, the dropouts are quite a bit different (almost appears to a monocoque structure on the fakes).

I'm really tempted to just get the paint off of the dropout now, but I should probably wait.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhumston View Post
I actually looked very closely at those pics, and there are some glaring differences. The most obvious to me, is the braze on for the front derailleur. Also, the dropouts are quite a bit different (almost appears to a monocoque structure on the fakes).

I'm really tempted to just get the paint off of the dropout now, but I should probably wait.
The front derailleur mount and the dropouts looks standard C 59 and if you are getting the nod from Colnago already this may not be a primary concern.

With evidence of a respray, I would be more curious if there is some repair attempting to be concealed. If a repair was done correctly, this itself wouldnt be an issue. If the seller states non-awareness to the respray, it
will be continual speculation.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:54 PM

Due to my impatience, I went ahead and carefully removed some of the paint covering the serial number location.

From what I've uncovered, I think it would be futile to continue to remove more of the paint, as it appears that the other numbers been scratched off.

I've sent the photo to Mauro at Colnago, and am awaiting his opinion.

Regardless of the outcome, the seller definitely has some explaining to do!