Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2020, 11:21 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

DT240 End Cap Conundrum

Here is what I have gathered and shared with DT Swiss. I already ordered a set of replacement end caps with hopes of getting the right length DS end cap.
Result was: This is actually a 12x142 MTB hub and those come with different end caps than the 'Road' 12x142. Solution was to order the road 11s end caps.
Let me know your thoughts Paceline.

Main point: the DS end cap (short one) on the left is from a DT240 hub. It is obviously shorter than the one on the right and is causing my issues.

Hi Team,

I purchased a set of Enve CX Tubulars that came with DT240 hubs (12x100 and 12x142). However, when I installed them on my 2019 Trek Crokett (12x100, 12x142) I noticed that the rear spacing on the hubs wasn't 12x142. In the fourth picture you can see the DS end cap on left is about 3mm shorter than the DS end cap on the right from my Roval CL50 (DT350 hubs).

When I had the DT240 hub installed the 11T cog would bind against the frame. When i installed my roval CL50 rear wheel there was room. I swapped the DS end caps and the DT240 hub worked as expected.

Whats going on with the original DT240 end cap? Is it really 12x142? These are the stock build from Enve.

Photo Order Below:
1.) Crockett - shows my 2019 Trek crockett with the Enve/DT240 wheelset installed.
2.) DT240 Binding 2 - show the front view and binding between the chain/chainstay from the front.
3.) DT240 Binding - shows the rear clearance issues and binding of the chain/chainstay from the rear.
4.) DT240 Left DT 350 Right - shows the end caps and clear length difference.
5.) DT240 with DT350 DS end cap installed- shows the DT240 hub working as it should with the correct 'longer' end cap.
6.)DT350 Wheel Working - shows the beautiful clearance of the hubs with stock DT350 End caps working as it should in the 12x142 dropout.
7.) DT350 Wheel - shows the stock Roval CL50 with DT350 hubs installed on my trek crockett.

Last edited by kppolich; 04-24-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:46 AM

I cant help you but your bike is just fantastic.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:00 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

My question is this, does the RD need an adjustment to keep you from climbing over the cassette into the spokes?

Careful with this...

But that looks scary enough I'd be trimming that wheel in use to not use the small cog. And sure be making positive look at the RD stop in the low cog!

I once put a 14-28 juniors on my Scott Addict. Good thing I noticed the chain stay just before the dropout was between two teeth on the 14t cog before hoping on and pedaling/sawing a hole in my HMX/Addict LTD $7k frameset chainstay back then.

Last edited by robt57; 04-24-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:04 PM

Call Dave at Dt Swiss Grand Junction Colorado. He's my local guru with stuff like this. I'm sure the number is listed online...
Old 04-24-2020, 12:14 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
My question is this, does the RD need an adjustment to keep you from climbing over the cassette into the spokes?

Careful with this...

But that looks scary enough I'd be trimming that wheel in use to not use the small cog. And sure be making positive look at the RD stop in the low cog!

I once put a 14-28 juniors on my Scott Addict. Good thing I noticed the chain stay just before the dropout was between two teeth on the 14t cog before hoping on and pedaling/sawing a hole in my HMX/Addict LTD $7k frameset chainstay back then.
RD high and low limits are setup correctly so it won't be going into the spokes or off the end of the cassette into the chainstay.

Problem is the end cap that came with the wheels looks to be from a MTB conversion.

DT Swiss has said " The drive side end cap should be 17mm wide for road 142mm. MTB 142mm would be 16mm".

So much for 'Standards'
Old 04-24-2020, 12:15 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Call Dave at Dt Swiss Grand Junction Colorado. He's my local guru with stuff like this. I'm sure the number is listed online...
I'm talking to Dave right now, he's been great!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:18 PM

It looks like they have different caps depending on the year and spoke configuration. Do you know what year they are from? Straight pull or classic? I assume classic is j-bend?
Old 04-24-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
RD high and low limits are setup correctly so it won't be going into the spokes or off the end of the cassette into the chainstay.

Problem is the end cap that came with the wheels looks to be from a MTB conversion.

DT Swiss has said " The drive side end cap should be 17mm wide for road 142mm. MTB 142mm would be 16mm".

So much for 'Standards'
Hmm what?

Why would the the end caps differ in length from road to mtb if both take 142mm wheels? That makes no sense.

Are you sure they dont mean that this is something they did to make a 11 speed road cassette fit on their hubs and really is not something that is done to get the correct spacing per say?

Im intersted to know the reasoning behind this if the axle lengths are truly different
Old 04-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Hmm what?

Why would the the end caps differ in length from road to mtb if both take 142mm wheels? That makes no sense.
The 8/9/10s DT rear hubs take different end caps than the 11s freehubs - when you buy the 11s freehub it comes with new ones. Its a pain, and the DT caps are apparently gold infused at $20-30/pair.

Thanks, bike industry
Old 04-24-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
The 8/9/10s DT rear hubs take different end caps than the 11s freehubs - when you buy the 11s freehub it comes with new ones. Its a pain, and the DT caps are apparently gold infused at $20-30/pair.

Thanks, bike industry

Yes that does make sense, well a part from the inflated prices, but that is not the same as mtb differing from road 142.

That is what i was suggesting a freehub difference and not a mtb vs road difference per say.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:38 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

DT240 End Cap Length: 15.9 mm
Roval CL50/Roval hub with DT350 internal end cap length: 17.1 mm

Question out to DT Swiss around why and specifics. My guess is it's a MTB end cap. Oh well, i'm setup with the correct end cap on the way.

Pics:
Correct length from DT350

Shorty from DT240
Old 04-24-2020, 02:04 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Q&A Session with Dave @ DT Swiss.
Answer from @DTSwiss in Red

1.) Do you think the DT240 hub was originally*a 10sp mtb conversion?– with a serial number I can look it up. If this hub happens to be a 6-bolt, it is definably a MTB. CenterLock can be road or MTB. Road CL hubshells differ from MTB CL hubshells.***

2.) Are the non drive side end caps the same length on all*12x142 hubs?– a factory road left end cap will have an etching on it “11s road” and is 28mm long.* The MTB left end cap is 29mm long, with no etching. If converting a MTB to road-11 use, it is best to keep the left MTB end cap the same.* That said, you have any easy 1mm wiggle room with the caliper, so this end cap is not crucial. **

Trying to see why the original end cap wasn't the correct length for my Road spaced setup.– the right end cap needs to be 17mm long for road-11 because this cassette is pushed outward as compared to a MTB cassette, and there is such little wiggle room there.

Serial #:
P1437181 054 DT F 2310
- That is a MTB Hub

Last edited by kppolich; 04-24-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:51 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Q&A Session with Dave @ DT Swiss.
Answer from @DTSwiss in Red

1.) Do you think the DT240 hub was originally*a 10sp mtb conversion?– with a serial number I can look it up. If this hub happens to be a 6-bolt, it is definably a MTB. CenterLock can be road or MTB. Road CL hubshells differ from MTB CL hubshells.***

2.) Are the non drive side end caps the same length on all*12x142 hubs?– a factory road left end cap will have an etching on it “11s road” and is 28mm long.* The MTB left end cap is 29mm long, with no etching. If converting a MTB to road-11 use, it is best to keep the left MTB end cap the same.* That said, you have any easy 1mm wiggle room with the caliper, so this end cap is not crucial. **

Trying to see why the original end cap wasn't the correct length for my Road spaced setup.– the right end cap needs to be 17mm long for road-11 because this cassette is pushed outward as compared to a MTB cassette, and there is such little wiggle room there.

Serial #:
P1437181 054 DT F 2310
- That is a MTB Hub
I didn't know the hub bodies themselves were different, but it makes sense. Road FH bodies are longer so push the hub towards the NDS

Learn something new every day

M

Tags
12x142, dt swiss, dt swiss end cap, dt240, end cap