Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2024, 12:28 PM

Fizik Adaptive Saddle Feedback?

I've been riding a Fizik Antares for 7+ years it's starting to get creaky so I'm considering upgrading to one of the new Antares Adaptive models.

While overall feedback look great, I've seen comments that the 3D printed saddles are very grippy and can cause friction on bib shorts thus wearing down the fabric quickly.

Since quality bib shorts are a pricey piece of kit to replace, can someone chime in if they've experienced these issues?
Old 05-21-2024, 01:10 PM

Long Time Fizik

Long time Fizik fan. Kurve Chameleon has always been one of my favorites. Saddle fit is such a personal thing. I rode the Antares Adaptive 0 as my first foray into the world of 3D saddles. Found it comfortable, but had an issue with the durability. The 3D 'web' tore in the area where my left sit bone rode on it. Fizik did replace the saddle no questions, well done!! I have since moved the S-Works Mirror saddle. Find them to be more comfortable, for my anatomy. Not sure if any of this is helpful, but I'm sold on 3D saddles.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsonn View Post
I've been riding a Fizik Antares for 7+ years it's starting to get creaky so I'm considering upgrading to one of the new Antares Adaptive models.

While overall feedback look great, I've seen comments that the 3D printed saddles are very grippy and can cause friction on bib shorts thus wearing down the fabric quickly.

Since quality bib shorts are a pricey piece of kit to replace, can someone chime in if they've experienced these issues?
The saddles are super comfortable, and I don’t wear shorts out on them. I like the fact that the saddle covers don’t wear when riding in wet weather, and I can hose them off. But at least the Fizik saddles haven’t proved durable.

I’ve now been through 5 warranty replacements of saddles on my road and my gravel bike in the past year. I was told by the online retailer I purchased them from (I will not name it, but it has sponsored this forum) that it is replacing many under warranty for the same reasons mine have been replaced, and they haven’t proven durable at all.

I broke two on my gravel bike in very cold weather on two consecutive weekends last winter. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...highlight=Fizz.

I was steered by Fizik to Argos Adaptive saddles, which Fizik assured me would be more durable and more suitable for gravel. The nose separated from the rails after three months. I could have fixed it with some two-part epoxy, but the retailer was willing to warranty it and I don’t feel obligated to fix products that expensive and should hold up under normal use.

Now, on my road bike, the nose on my Antares Versus Evo had started to disintegrate after the winter on my trainer. Another warranty replacement is on the way for that one too.

I wouldn’t ever buy another Fizik Saddle and will find an alternative once I stop getting free warranty replacements!

I do have a few Kurve Snakes that need homes.

Last edited by djg21; 05-21-2024 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:25 PM

I’ve tried a few from them. The Antares and Argo 00 models. I’ve used and been happy on the Antares 00 for many years. I did not like the 3d printed at all. As you said grippy discouraging movement and snagged my shorts when i went off the saddle riding on more technical trails. Wasted a lot of $ to ultimately put the 00 back on!

The only issue I have with Antares 00 is on long, sustained climbs or hammering away on flats. It reduces blood flow if I don’t remember to move around.

So arriving tomorrow is Antares vento 00…i was unaware they made this model but hope it solves that minor issue.

Surprised to read durability issues. I have/had 00 on both a full suspension mtb and my gravel bike and never had an issue in 15 or so years using the 00 line. The saddle on the gravel bike is 4 or so years old and has suffered at least two crashes so it’s scuffed but still ticking.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-29-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2024, 01:54 PM

I have been an antares vs user for at least 10 years. Always liked it. Based on this and having some available bike money, I bought an adaptive 00. It was not the same saddle. I think it may have been the carbon shell being too stiff and me needing more flex.

I've since gone back to an antares vs and it is as comfortable as ever. I might consider getting a R1 version in the, but doubt it.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:06 PM

The 00 model is $99 right now at bike closest…tempted to get a few in fear they are canceling it.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:08 PM

I'm pretty curious cause I feel like the marketing of these new saddles makes me afraid the classic Arione/Aliante/Antares lineup is on life support and Fizik is trying to get us all off the classics and onto something new.

And the Arione at least is basically the best saddle I've ever had/tried.

I have at least one Arione that is bent right now where one sitbone is not as well supported as the other. I need to decide what to do with that. It may or may not have been from riding with the saddle excessively high for a while. But I'm still not sure what to do about it. These newer Ariones don't break in/adapt the same way the older ones did 15-20 years ago. (The one I have right now has a cutout.)
Old 05-29-2024, 02:50 PM

I switched to a Specialized Mirror Power, from a Fizik Argo. I can say that the 3d printed material is a bit "sticky" in terms of allowing movement between the saddle and bib shorts. I haven't had a wear problem, but do notice the stickiness when changing position.

The universal truth is that a 3d saddle of the same make and model of a traditional saddle may fit completely different. I thought I'd be great with the Power Mirror based on rides on another traditional Power saddle...but while it's not painful, it's not bliss either.

If thinking of converting...a try before you buy option or a sound return option would be wise.