Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
This came today from my class action firm:

"Today, we’re pleased to bring you an important update in the class-action lawsuit against Volkswagen. We have appreciated your patience in light of the court-mandated gag order regarding the case, and are excited to share these details.

VW is on target to meet the court’s June 21, 2016 deadline, and we are working toward what the court has deemed a “substantial” settlement with Volkswagen for owners of its CleanDiesel vehicles. At yesterday’s hearing Judge Breyer said:

“I am pleased this morning to announce that the Settlement Master and the parties – Volkswagen, the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, the Department of Justice on behalf of the Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board, in conjunction with the California Attorney General’s Office and the Federal Trade Commission – have reported that in the month since we last met, they have made substantial progress in their intensive daily efforts to finalize the agreements, and, most importantly, are on track to meet the Court’s deadline.”

The public will have an opportunity to comment before the court approves the proposed settlement.

We urge you all to please read the Court’s Transcript from May 24, 2016, which contains new, helpful information about the settlement addressing a buy back, modifications, substantial compensation, environmental remediation and green automotive technology."

I haven't read the transcript yet: https://cts.vrmailer1.com/click?sk=a...mi:(?%3C=href=)[%5Cs]*[%27%22](?%3Curl%3E[%5E%7B%27%22].+?)[%27%22])

Quick scan - the previously reported buyback/fix with additional compensation for two liter cars plus a payment to a remediation fund. Still no settlement on the three liter cars.
"which contains new, helpful information about the settlement addressing a buy back, modifications, substantial compensation, environmental remediation and green automotive technology."

I read the transcript...and calling it new, helpful information is a stretch, but I guess the class action attorney needs to write something to show that they are hard at work on your behalf...

In summary, wait until June 21st. What I really wonder is if the "public comment" will have any impact on the settlement...maybe if enough people complain that the funding for the environmental remediation and green automotive technology isn't enough, but I suspect most will complain that the "substantial compensation" and buy back offer isn't enough...
Old 05-25-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
"which contains new, helpful information about the settlement addressing a buy back, modifications, substantial compensation, environmental remediation and green automotive technology."

I read the transcript...and calling it new, helpful information is a stretch, but I guess the class action attorney needs to write something to show that they are hard at work on your behalf...

In summary, wait until June 21st. What I really wonder is if the "public comment" will have any impact on the settlement...maybe if enough people complain that the funding for the environmental remediation and green automotive technology isn't enough, but I suspect most will complain that the "substantial compensation" and buy back offer isn't enough...
What we heard after the hearing were leaks and speculation. There was a gag order from Judge Breyer. The transcript wasn't released until May 24, as stated.

If you think managing a class action of this scale isn't being "hard at work" on our behalf, I welcome you to try it. Or you can just go on bashing lawyers out of habit.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:07 PM
cnighbor2

That diesel mess must go down has one the worlds car builders

That diesel mess must go down has one the worlds car builders biggest mistake in the last 100 years
VW put itself on the ropes almost for good
When deciding to cheat or lie one needs to consider what can go wrong it wouldn't take much to decide this wasn't a good idea has the TDI's were going to be tested nearly ever 1 to 3 years in USA and if they didn't pass some mechanic would figure it out and tell the press
Old 05-25-2016, 04:22 PM

I agree. It's hard now to see how they ever thought they could actually get away with it for as long as some cars are on the road (we kept our Volvo 850 wagon for 22 years) without getting caught. And all this to save a little Not Invented Here pride (as if there's anything shameful in a German firm licensing Mercedes technology!) and three hundred bucks a car? Stupid to the point of insanity.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Proud Grandpa

Local VW dealer 'update'..Just got my 50k oil change/service(freebie, BTW-last bit of $500 credit card) and asked the sale guy, 'well'? He 'implied' that the incentives and such will be aimed at keeping people in VWs..my 2013 JSW-yes, buy back(he said)...add the not yet announced incentives..I asked if a 2016 gas GSW SE was a player..with no $ from me?..He 'implied', yes it was. He also mentioned a 2015 TDI wagon, 'fixed' with a software flash, also was a possibility.

He said call or visit June 21st..which I will.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:26 PM

OT: VW cheating emissions on TDI vehicles

So, you get a replacement & I wonder what you could turn around and sell it for.

I've been hoping this will be a decent way or time (ultimately) to unload my 14 JSW in exchange for simply using my vintage Fiats or bicycles while upgrading my wife out of her '06 X5 into a relatively new Odyssey that would be a more suitable vehicle with 2 small kids and serve as a nice cycling trip/support vehicle as needed.

Chris G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiataccompli View Post
So, you get a replacement & I wonder what you could turn around and sell it for.

I've been hoping this will be a decent way or time (ultimately) to unload my 14 JSW in exchange for simply using my vintage Fiats or bicycles while upgrading my wife out of her '06 X5 into a relatively new Odyssey that would be a more suitable vehicle with 2 small kids and serve as a nice cycling trip/support vehicle as needed.

Chris G

I'd bet the buyout check plus the X5 would work out better than swapping for a new VW and trying to sell/trade that.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
He said call or visit June 21st..which I will.
Such a good customer you are
Old 06-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngpunk View Post
Such a good customer you are
Like the car, size, comfort, performance, milage....but ya know, it's just a car.
My car is paid for(paid cash), don't want a car payment for any of the few other 'wagons' out there. $40k++ new wagon? No thanks. It's a car, hauls me, wife and 2 grand kids well. It's a car...
Old 06-02-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Like the car, size, comfort, performance, milage....but ya know, it's just a car.
My car is paid for(paid cash), don't want a car payment for any of the few other 'wagons' out there. $40k++ new wagon? No thanks. It's a car, hauls me, wife and 2 grand kids well. It's a car...
Just ribbing you...they must love you as a customer...you seem to make their life easier...the sales person should be the one calling *you* on June 21st with the update if he wants your repeat business to keep you in a VW.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
So I guess that rules out the Merc E350 as well..? Nice car, even has a rear-facing 3rd seat for the grand kids. You should only have heard my wife's reaction when I suggested considering it...
Old 06-02-2016, 10:20 PM

considering the E-class wagon starts at $60k... i search CPO and there's 1 within 500 miles that is under $40k, and it has 40k miles pre-accrued; no thanks.
actually, my wife kinda wants one.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
So I guess that rules out the Merc E350 as well..? Nice car, even has a rear-facing 3rd seat for the grand kids. You should only have heard my wife's reaction when I suggested considering it...
I know a guy with some M-B or another..even not considering the $225 oil changes, and $50k+ price(=2most other cars), a window motor set him back $1500..no thanks. I HOPE to never buy another car..indentured servitude.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 AM

OT: VW cheating emissions on TDI vehicles

So at the moment we thing 6/21 is when the magic will happen with VW?

Chris G

Old 06-03-2016, 06:37 AM

That is correct. Blue book from a certain point in time and $5k - probably towards another VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiataccompli View Post
So at the moment we thing 6/21 is when the magic will happen with VW?

Chris G

Tags
autoscam, boring threads