Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2024, 04:42 PM
#RYFB

Saddle recommendation: Selle Italia

I know, I know, hardly anything more personal. I'm overwhelmed by the plethora of Selle Italia options; some variations are more clear, like carbon vs ti rails, the size of the flow openings, but there are just so damned many. AFAIK there are no local shops that have Selle Italia try-to-buy programs, and even so whatever I choose will be bought by the builder so I wouldn't feel right using an LBS but not actually purchasing from them.

I want something with an opening, so inclined toward Superflow. The saddle that I currently ride, and like, is a Prologo NDS -- very similar to the PRO models, short nose, opening, however would prefer something lighter, carbon rails, with a bit less padding.

I'd rather not break the bank but are those superlight carbon ones worth the expense?

thanks
Old 02-15-2024, 05:34 PM
tailgunning

the slr boost superflow!

it's the only short-nosed one that matches the rest of your points -- although i don't know that i'd spring for the carbon railed version when the ti-rail one is 50 grams more but costs ~100-120 instead of $300
Old 02-15-2024, 08:49 PM

+1, though there's a road vs gravel version, with the gravel edition having a tiny additional layer of padding (quite little).
Old 02-17-2024, 12:26 PM

some people feel carbon rails also add more vibration dampening. I have never felt this.

I have seen many broken carbon rails (mainly mountain bikes/gravel bikes). I tend to prefer Ti rails unless the Carbon rail version has less padding which I prefer.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I know, I know, hardly anything more personal. I'm overwhelmed by the plethora of Selle Italia options; some variations are more clear, like carbon vs ti rails, the size of the flow openings, but there are just so damned many. AFAIK there are no local shops that have Selle Italia try-to-buy programs, and even so whatever I choose will be bought by the builder so I wouldn't feel right using an LBS but not actually purchasing from them.

I want something with an opening, so inclined toward Superflow. The saddle that I currently ride, and like, is a Prologo NDS -- very similar to the PRO models, short nose, opening, however would prefer something lighter, carbon rails, with a bit less padding.

I'd rather not break the bank but are those superlight carbon ones worth the expense?

thanks

I’ve got he Prologo NDS 143 on my Cannondale and really like it. My previous go-to model has been the Fizik Arione VS (not VX) with a channel. It is not short-nosed.

I would suggest a Bontrager Verse Pro - has opening, short-nosed and has carbon rail options. Similar shape to the Prologo. This came on my Domane. Trek may have a try out program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2024, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheeldrive View Post
some people feel carbon rails also add more vibration dampening. I have never felt this.

I have seen many broken carbon rails (mainly mountain bikes/gravel bikes). I tend to prefer Ti rails unless the Carbon rail version has less padding which I prefer.
+1, I've seen way too many broken carbon rails. I'd never consider it. There are some places that carbon simply doesn't belong. It could be blamed on overtightening but still.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:44 AM

Totally depends on your sit bone width and whether you prefer flat or slight arch in the saddle....IMO.
I've been riding a Selle SLR Kit Carbonio (131 mm) for years and have stopped my search....YMMV.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:41 PM

It's a given that saddle reviews are always quite subjective. I'm a skinny guy who typically rides with light, minimally padded saddles. I purchased the Selle Italia XLR Kit Carbonio, or whatever it is called, recently and it is stiff as a board, gave me saddle sores in short order and gave my behind a whooping, ouch. It's sitting in my garage on a shelf now, great for those who like such things.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:20 PM

Once bitten twice shy .. or rather .. I never learn??

Once I found out that the SLR Carbonio worked for me (almost 10 years ago), I've stuck to the same saddle time and time again. it's light and comfortable.

BUT .. I have had not 1 or 2, but 3x SLR saddles snapped on me.
(2 of them were Carbonio with carbon rails, 1 was manganese rail).
Interestingly, they all snapped at the same spot - on the composite SHELL, just adjacent to the cut-out area.
The 2x Carbon rail saddles snapped on 1 side, on roadbikes. JRA!
1x Manganese saddle snapped on both sides of the shell, but this was used on a hardtail.

Nothing to do with carbon rails!
I am 68kgs by the way.

Note - ALL my SLR saddles are the older design with the smaller cut-out area (like the below) compared to the Superflow that has a cut-out almost the whole length of the saddle.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Selle-Ital.../dp/B00MEIRG6C

I'm down to my 4th and last SLR (nicked it from my colour-matched Pegoretti). Once I complete my A event in a few weeks, I will definitely switch to something else that is similar in profile to the SLR but a lot stronger.
Currently trialing SMP Saddles and Fabric Scoop instead.

I don't know if the current generation of SLR saddles have addressed the issue that I faced.

but .. 3 saddles snapped on the same spot, over a 9-year period, on 3 different bikes