Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 PM

Ti vs Stainless

I know this will open a can of worms, but I am considering getting a ti frame (which I have always wanted in lieu of my giant tcr composite) but have been seeing a few frames in stainless out there. Any opinions from those that have ridden the two materials for someone 6'5" 200lbs?
Thanks
Old 06-23-2012, 08:48 PM

Paging Mr Dave Wages!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Well, I have experience with both materials. I'm a fan of the new OS stainless pipes. The ride quality is nice and lively. Not springy like some Ti frames can be.
Be aware that the new SS material will show signs of corrosion if left with a brushed finish. If you get one that is polished to a mirror finish the surface corrosion isn't as much an issue. Lowest maintainence finish is to have it painted. The frame can be Tig welded or brazed with lugs.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:15 AM

Costs for frames of either material will be virtually identical which means you don't have to debate price.

Either frame can be built to suit your weight and riding style by varying tube diameters so since you're thinking custom you can ignore any problems there.

I think the only thing to concern yourself with is, stainless doesn't really mean rust proof. You will see oxidation and staining if you don't perform a certain level of care for it. Titanium on the other hand, doesn't care how much you sweat on it.

I think the best application of stainless tubes is to still cover it with a paint job.

Titanium is tougher than stainless so it's less prone to denting and bending, such as in a crash.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

Titanium is tougher than stainless so it's less prone to denting and bending, such as in a crash.
I was hemming and hawing (sp?) the same thing, and this is one reason I ultimately went with Ti. Stainless is strong, but tube makers use that strength as an opportunity to draw the tubes paper thin, XCR is butted to .4 of a mm, and 953 can be even thinner. I knew that would be in my head every time I leaned my bike against a wall.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 AM

I am having a frame built from stainless tubes by Dave Anderson, it is in process now (he has been terrific to work with, BTW). I thought about the same material question, having had a Serotta Ti Concours, which was a great bike. In the end, it really was partially an aesthetic decision - I wanted lugs - and partially because I didn't want a carbon fork. As it turns out, the frame and fork are being made for disc brakes, so the custom fork is especially pertinent.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I know this will open a can of worms, but I am considering getting a ti frame (which I have always wanted in lieu of my giant tcr composite) but have been seeing a few frames in stainless out there. Any opinions from those that have ridden the two materials for someone 6'5" 200lbs?
Thanks
Have owned a Waterford 953 stainless, and have a Moots. Different ways to do the same thing, IMHO. Loved the looks of the Waterford(sculpted polished lugs ans fork crown), but they both rode well. I personally think for the $, ti is the way to go.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 AM

IF's former president Matt Bracken said Ti is the best investment as far as frame material. Mike Flanigan of ANT said cost is the only reason not to go Ti; he works exclusively with steel. I think the stainless frames are hot but I just rolled the dice on a Ti Planet X.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox View Post
I was hemming and hawing (sp?) the same thing, and this is one reason I ultimately went with Ti. Stainless is strong, but tube makers use that strength as an opportunity to draw the tubes paper thin, XCR is butted to .4 of a mm, and 953 can be even thinner. I knew that would be in my head every time I leaned my bike against a wall.
Agree on dents, although the very thin stainless-steel tube walls are not driven just by its superior strength in my opinion. Like other steels, stainless is much heavier and stiffer than titanium. About twice as much on an equal size basis. If tube manufacturers didn’t make stainless tubes a lot thinner the frame would be too heavy and or too stiff. And weight does matter to most riders.

And unfortunately a very thin tube, even when made from stronger material, can often dent easier than a thicker tube of weaker material.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOKE View Post
Be aware that the new SS material will show signs of corrosion if left with a brushed finish. If you get one that is polished to a mirror finish the surface corrosion isn't as much an issue. Lowest maintainence finish is to have it painted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I think the only thing to concern yourself with is, stainless doesn't really mean rust proof. You will see oxidation and staining if you don't perform a certain level of care for it. Titanium on the other hand, doesn't care how much you sweat on it.

I think the best application of stainless tubes is to still cover it with a paint job.
Why do they call it stainless if it stains or corrodes?

Had an old steel bike with some stainless tubes and never had corrosion problems at all. Don’t know about the new stainless steels but seems weird it would require maintenance or painting to keep it from rusting. It’s hard to think of that as “stainless”.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 AM
tʌɪˈteɪniəm

would love to try stainless
Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM

Wait just one cotton picking minute here. 6' 5" and 200 lbs? Don't you ever eat? I;m worried about you man. Have milk shake already!

Stash... (the food police. Hey whaddya' want, my mom is a Jewish mother, and then I married a gal and waddya' know she turned into one too.. It rubs off after a while.)
Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Had an old steel bike with some stainless tubes and never had corrosion problems at all. Don’t know about the new stainless steels but seems weird it would require maintenance or painting to keep it from rusting. It’s hard to think of that as “stainless”.
Different alloying elements that allow the material to be drawn into a tube with very thin walls. It also is pretty hard compared to other types of stainless. This bit of info still doesn't answer the corrosion question I know but I'm not a metallurgist.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:19 PM

If we still have to paint stainless what is the advantage over other quality steel tubes?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

stainLESS

not stainfree.

wuz how it was explained to me.

Last edited by false_Aest; 06-24-2012 at 05:13 PM.