Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2016, 03:43 PM

There's now a 1 1/4" and 2" hitch option for the Mk7 Golf R.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:41 PM
kg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
In the past five years, I sold two cars -- neither VWs -- where I had bought extended manufacturer warranties.

And in separate transactions, I got prorated refunds for both warranties.

So I would imagine the same with this VW situation, not as part of the settlement, but possible to get a refund nevertheless.
Great! I'll make some inquiries.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I thought the same thing after news of the scandal broke and swore I'd never buy another VW and then a funny thing happened - I started looking at new cars. VW makes a car that is nicer than anything else in the same category for a considerable amount less. My wife is hell bent on a new small SUV and anything that gets close to how nice our JSW is costs $32-$40k. I feel like VW has done the right thing (even if they're getting sued to oblivion) so I'm willing to consider a TSI if there's hefty loyalty incentives.

Only problem is that the new Tiguan is a year off so we're looking at BMW X1's.
You can wait two years. Plenty of time for the new Tiguan to arrive.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
Just put a refundable deposit on a new 2015 TDI Wagen. To be picked up after the settlement is finalized in July.

Silver, manual, black leather, no pano roof. Very excited.
You won't get it anywhere near July. October maybe, end of the year more likely. Good for you for staying with the brand.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 PM

Lots of hoohah about the buyback value. The judge referred to retail but VW is offering trade-in. The more that comment, the better.

My situation is good. The sticker on my 2014 JSW/pano/nav was $30,475. Paid $26,908 plus TTL. Buyback is $27,917. TTL was $1800 and I have $700 left on my goodwill cards, so just about whole afterwards. But if they want to sweeten the deal I'm game.

Attached are the preliminary sales guides for the 2017 Golf, GTI, Sportwagen, R, and Alltrack. No pricing as yet. Many changes in the lines. If I stay with VW I'm looking at a GTI Sport or SE, or if I get lucky, a leftover 2016. The 2017's come with the Performance Package standard, which means my 16" snows won't fit. Guess they'll go back with the car and I'll keep my 17" Portos for the new snows. The Alltrack will be too expensive and suck too much gas. Note that TDI options are TBD. Wishful thinking.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VW MY17 OG.2-10.pdf (822.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf VW MY17 OG.11-16.pdf (602.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-29-2016, 11:38 PM

Does anyone have MDI cables they would let go on the cheap?

No need yet, but I'm flirting with a mk6 gti.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Does anyone have MDI cables they would let go on the cheap?

No need yet, but I'm flirting with a mk6 gti.
when I bought my beetle, they gave me 2, a lightning one and a 30 pin one. You should just ask your dealer for whichever cables you want, I don't get the impression that would be a deal killer.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Lots of hoohah about the buyback value. The judge referred to retail but VW is offering trade-in. The more that comment, the better.

Some snipped. I ask you since you seem to know the 'mechanicals' of TDI well. The chart shows $ payment if you choose to 'fix' rather than 'sell back'..for 2013 TDIs as well..I thought thru 2013, no fix was really possible(?)...
Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Some snipped. I ask you since you seem to know the 'mechanicals' of TDI well. The chart shows $ payment if you choose to 'fix' rather than 'sell back'..for 2013 TDIs as well..I thought thru 2013, no fix was really possible(?)...
Perhaps "fix" in this context for TDIs has the same meaning as when you get your cat fixed?
Old 06-30-2016, 06:06 AM

The way I read it, you only get the "fixed" payment when you go for the repair. If no fix comes available by 9/18, you have the option of nothing or the buyback. I am torn between wanting fix or buyback on my beetle. I think I'll miss this car later if I take the buyback, as a convertible diesel with a stick is something of a unicorn for me.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
There are three generations of 2.0L TDI's, and none of them have an EPA/CARB approved fix. Only speculation. Gen2 and Gen3 use a urea system which may be able to be modified to pass, potentially a negotiated standard. Gen1 does not have urea and uses an LNT catalyst instead. Retrofitting urea to this motor would be very complex and expensive, especially for the age of these cars. They may be able to use a larger catalyst and meet a lower standard, or there may never be a fix for them at all.

So you really have two choices. Take the buyback and move on, or wait for the fix. As long as you drive less than 1024 miles per month, your buyback amount doesn't change. There is no penalty if you keep driving your car, until some time in 2018, when the buyback offer runs out. Let others be the early adopters of the fix.

Personally I believe that if there is ever a fix for the Gen1, it will be at least a year away, maybe two, maybe never. I'm not going to take that risk.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grawk View Post
The way I read it, you only get the "fixed" payment when you go for the repair. If no fix comes available by 9/18, you have the option of nothing or the buyback. I am torn between wanting fix or buyback on my beetle. I think I'll miss this car later if I take the buyback, as a convertible diesel with a stick is something of a unicorn for me.
That is how I read it as well. My wagon is also a unicorn. Nothing else like it out there under $50K.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 AM

I did the math, and for me it costs $350 a month to keep driving my beetle in lost buyback money. Given that I drive 600 miles a week, that seems reasonable.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
There are three generations of 2.0L TDI's, and none of them have an EPA/CARB approved fix. Only speculation. Gen2 and Gen3 use a urea system which may be able to be modified to pass, potentially a negotiated standard. Gen1 does not have urea and uses an LNT catalyst instead. Retrofitting urea to this motor would be very complex and expensive, especially for the age of these cars. They may be able to use a larger catalyst and meet a lower standard, or there may never be a fix for them at all.

So you really have two choices. Take the buyback and move on, or wait for the fix. As long as you drive less than 1024 miles per month, your buyback amount doesn't change. There is no penalty if you keep driving your car, until some time in 2018, when the buyback offer runs out. Let others be the early adopters of the fix.

Personally I believe that if there is ever a fix for the Gen1, it will be at least a year away, maybe two, maybe never. I'm not going to take that risk.
Yup, thanks, what I'm gonna do. Already talked to some sales guy at dealer..

2016 Red/Creme/Gas GSW...heated seats(wife)..he 'implies' it'll be a straight trade..since my car is in the $25,500-$26,000 buy back 'range'..

Thanks
Old 06-30-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
This is where I'm at with my 2010. Not worth waiting 2 years for me. That said, if I go for an in stock 2015 TDI that needs a fix before they let me drive it, it already has the urea system right? So should be a pretty easy fix?

I'm just having trouble deciding if I should double down TDI or just cut and run to a TSI model.

Tags
autoscam, boring threads