Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 PM

Need clarification about 10 speed Shimano - CAmpy compatibility

I sort of asked the question before but will try to be more specific.

Can I run CAmpy 10 speed Centaur with a Shimano Hub and Shimano cassette?

CAn I run Shimano 10 speed Ultegra with a CAmpy hub and CAmpy cassette?

What do I need to do to make the drivetrains work with hubs from the competition?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 PM

If you want to play safe what you have to get is a Jtek
Old 10-23-2017, 10:28 PM

You can run a C10 drivetrain with a Shimano hub and a conversion cassette. I've had pretty good luck with the Mavic M10 cassettes, but have had to do some filing on the large cog to get all 10 cogs on some freehub bodies.

I would think the opposite scenario is easier. Campagnolo 9/10/11 hubs are more than wide enough to accommodate S10 spacing, so you would just need to put thinner spacers between a loose cog (Veloce/Centaur - some years) cassette to make it work with a Shimano drivetrain. Probably not worth the bother though, as S9/10 wheels are so easy to come by.

Jteks work too.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:18 AM

I am currently using 10 speed Veloce Ultrashift Ergos with a 10 speed Shimano 5700 cassette and a 11 speed 5800 rear mech.

It shifts pretty much perfectly. There's no jumping between gears or anything like that. I don't know why it works but it does. I only tried it as my wheels were Shimano and I had a spare 5700 cassette and rear mech so gave it a go.

The only thing to note is the cable tension seems quite high in the lowest gear (the 27t cog), whether this is doing untold damage to my shifters, I dont know!

Also, it didn't shift smoothly till I messed around with the B screw and got the mech to sit close to the cogs.

Worth a go for the price of a second hand 10 speed cassette and 11 speed mech.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbike View Post

What do I need to do to make the drivetrains work with hubs from the competition?
If you use a Sram Exact Actuation rear derailleur with this combination it'll shift fine. I have this on several bikes.

Ed.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:35 AM

This is your best bet: http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/

I put it on my wife's road bike when I swapped out the 105 grifters for Centaur 10sp.

Maurice
Old 10-24-2017, 07:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

CAn I run Shimano 10 speed Ultegra with a CAmpy hub and CAmpy cassette?

Ctr cog to ctr cog differences LESS with shimano 9s and Campag 10s than shimano 10s and Campag 10s. So, best combo is Campag 10s shifters ders and shimano 9s cogset and chain..10s-10s ain't great in either scenario.

BUT the above is correct and tried by me and Lennard Zinn...Campag 10s ERGO and sram 10s rear der does indeed shift shimano 10s spacing..weird, I know.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-24-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:21 AM

Your shifter, RD and cassette spacing all need to match (for 10sp). There are lots of work arounds: conversion cassette, Jtek, the hub-bub routing method, or run 10sp campy shifters on a 8sp shimano drivetrain.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Can somebody explain the motivation for these bastard setups?

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 AM

This is not something that you would typically put together by design, but rather through a process of change or evolution. For example, you have a Campy bike and decide to run your Shimano cassette wheels, or you need lower gears, or want a clutch rear derailleur for a gravel bike, etc.

In my case, I bought 10 speed Ergo levers to have integrated controls on my 8 speed shimano bike. That worked fine. Then, after a while, I made it 9 speed by rerouting the anchor cable. Then I went to 10 speed with a Sram derailleur.

I upgraded one of the bikes to a newer Shimano drivetrain and moved the Ergopower levers to my gravel bike where they operate a Sram GX long cage clutch derailleur on a 34/50 12-36 ten speed drivetrain. This is a great setup!
Old 10-24-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
Well when one has Bike Obsessionitis, one often finds oneself contemplating the joys of incremental gains -- functional and aesthetic. And when one is blessed with multiple two-wheeled toys, one sometimes finds oneself contemplating the component switcheroo which of course requires an odd combination of raiding the parts bin and buying new crap.

In other words, I want to put CAmpy on the Moots but really like the Shimano DT Swiss wheels on there now. And I could move the mish-mash Ultegra parts to the bamboo Frankenbike and use those de- stickered CAmpy wheels I have kicking around.

So you see, good motivation. And what else would I do with my time?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
...I want to put CAmpy on the Moots but really like the Shimano DT Swiss wheels on there now...
Simple is always best. Buy a Campy free hub for those DT hubs. Easy-peasy to change.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:41 AM

Furthermore, with regards to the replies above.

I have used a SRAM 10 mech/Campag 10 shifters/Shimano cassette. It worked, but not as well as with the Shimano 11 rear mech setup detailed in my earlier post.

Campag 10 shifters, Campag 10 rear mech and Shimano cassette does not work at all; it jumps all over the place and by the time you've arrived at the largest cog, you've still got one click left on the shifter.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
For me it was a case of wanting to use a pair of old Zipp hubs that had a Shimano freehub with a Campagnolo build. As luck would have it, the rear hub broke after only a few rides.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
for me it was a case of wanting to use a pair of old zipp hubs that had a shimano freehub with a campagnolo build. As luck would have it, the rear hub broke after only a few rides.
d'oh!