Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
@David Kirk - From the ebay listing, mix of True Temper OX platinum and Reynolds 853.
Some tubing starts as a sheet and it's rolled into a tube shape and then welded. Typically it's then reworked over a mandrel to the final shape and size. My suspicion is that the chainstay is a seamed tube and that it may have split on the seam.

I think the first thing I'd do would be to very accurately measure the length of the crack and record it....and I would also make a sharpie mark at exactly each end of the crack so you will have a quick visual indicator if it grows.

This would not normally be considered the kind of thing that will suddenly fail leaving you on the pavement so i would monitor it and see where it goes before damaging the paint to inspect it.

dave
Old 10-19-2017, 10:24 AM
ZhugeLiang

now that dave pal said it, from your last photo, the light does seem to draw out a bit of where the seam is running along the tube. Hopefully it's not a crack, just a paint adhesion problem.

Last edited by weisan; 10-19-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
The good thing is, even if it IS a crack, it will propagate slowly and it's not in an area where failure will jeopardize your safety.
I agree with this. I'd just ride it and keep an eye on it.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Like everyone else said, you can't tell until you remove the paint. Do that and see. Also, because it's white, take a magic eraser to it and see if that helps. Good thing the original builder has a good lifetime warranty.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Like everyone else said, you can't tell until you remove the paint. Do that and see. Also, because it's white, take a magic eraser to it and see if that helps. Good thing the original builder has a good lifetime warranty.
to the original owner I am sure.

I am going to just remove a bit of the paint just to be safe, meanwhile just sharpie both the ends and see if it spreads. Thing is, couldn't a paint crack also spread?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
to the original owner I am sure.

I am going to just remove a bit of the paint just to be safe, meanwhile just sharpie both the ends and see if it spreads. Thing is, couldn't a paint crack also spread?
Paint does not crack on it's own.....there needs to be an underlying reason for it to part the way it did. Some will say that the flexing of the tube caused the paint to fail. This is BS. If the paint if properly attached it is much more elastic than the metal it's stuck to so it won't go anywhere. If paint failed because the metal was flexing the entire frame would be showing signs of a issue......not one perfectly straight line in a very low stress area of a chainstay.

I have seen paint fail along a lug line giving the impression that the metal is doing bad things under there and then stripped the paint off to find that the metal is fine. Typically this is due to oil that had settled in the lug line and caused poor adherence to that small area so it lifts and cracks.

In your case the chance that there is oil or flux under that paint and that it's in a perfectly straight line and running lengthwise down the stay (the way a seam would) is a bit more than I can picture.

Have you sent the builder a photo and asked their opinion?

dave
Old 10-19-2017, 12:22 PM
aka RAEKWON

thank you Dave!

have not sent pics to the builder, I will soon. He is on this forum and is a lovely person to deal with.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

man, this is really a big effing bummer for me

I have had this frame for like 3 months, really love it and low and behold... its definitely a crack

what bad luck I have had with the last 3 frames I bought (2 were returned and this one was not and 3 months later, crack).

What are my options here? Getting it fixed sounds expensive :/ because I would have to get it painted yada yada.

damn, what a crappy day.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:18 PM

Sorry for you, bro.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:23 PM

WOW... the only guy I know that could be willing to fix that w/o swapping the tube is aaron dykstra... drill clean the crack and fill up the gap big time, then repaint that stay only or both stays so at least looks like a custom paint job.

The solution for others will be to swap the tube.

The other guy I know that can fix you that is in chile and probably would fix it for nothing, just because he is cool, the problem is to send it there.

You gonna have to ask around, there's several builders reading this, maybe one is up to the challenge to fixing that crack like champ w/o swapping the tube?.

Wish you luck with this one
Old 10-22-2017, 10:42 PM

Stopping the crack with a drill and then filling it with brass probably won't work in such a high stress area. I'd bet it has to be replaced. Can honestly say I've never seen a failure like that. Really hope Hampsten/IF warranties that.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:30 AM

I stand corrected. I was sure that was just a mar in the paint.

I'm still optimistic though -- I'll bet you can get it repaired like it never happened.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:30 AM

Replacing a chainstay, is it really that hard? I think IF can do that for about $500, and a bit more for some paint on the new stay.
You need to get Steve in the loop cos he may have spec'ed the tubes his way. Get a box ready to ship the frame back to IF.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:52 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobikes View Post
Replacing a chainstay, is it really that hard? I think IF can do that for about $500, and a bit more for some paint on the new stay.
You need to get Steve in the loop cos he may have spec'ed the tubes his way. Get a box ready to ship the frame back to IF.
Yeah I gotta message Steve, see what he has to say.

Maybe message IF as well. Its a very weird crack as in, it should have never happened, not a high stress area and seems like a tubbing issue and not really my fault.

As far as sending it to repair, don’t know how much money I want to spend on it. I got the frame for. Great deal, don’t really want to spend the same money I spend for the frame to repair this.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah I gotta message Steve, see what he has to say.

Maybe message IF as well. Its a very weird crack as in, it should have never happened, not a high stress area and seems like a tubbing issue and not really my fault.

As far as sending it to repair, don’t know how much money I want to spend on it. I got the frame for. Great deal, don’t really want to spend the same money I spend for the frame to repair this.
Other people would know more, but for a seam to open up like that is a manufacturing error from the tubing maker. It's not like you can imagine any behaviour by the frame maker that would have caused this...

Maybe the frame maker can deal with the tubing people and get it looked after?