Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR1000SP2 View Post
Hey,

Gathering parts for a full italian old steel build and all I have left is the wheelset. This bike will have modern components and I'm leaning towards mid-depth carbon wheels. In that regard, I've found the following brands as options for the wheelset:

- Ambrosio
- Campagnolo
- Micro Tech
- WR Compositi
- Ursus
- Miche

Any other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
Get some Record hubs and I'll find some Ambrosio, FIR, NISI rims and I'll build you a set..gotta use Belgium spokes tho..Sapim..Swiss(DT) inna pinch..
Old 10-03-2017, 08:48 AM

I thought FiR went out of business several years ago? Maybe there is NOS stuff floating around. MicroTech is the Basso house brand but I have been told that the wheels are made by Miche (at least the aluminum ones).
Old 10-03-2017, 09:03 AM

FIR is still there, like many italian brands they dont do marketing neither magazines maybe out of italy. They have really nasty looking wheels.

Edco is not italian but they have decent finished stuff aswell.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
get some record hubs and i'll find some ambrosio, fir, nisi rims and i'll build you a set..gotta use belgium spokes tho..sapim..swiss(dt) inna pinch..
+1
Old 10-03-2017, 12:03 PM

This sounds like an alloy wheel build which I already have. Am looking for a carbon set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Get some Record hubs and I'll find some Ambrosio, FIR, NISI rims and I'll build you a set..gotta use Belgium spokes tho..Sapim..Swiss(DT) inna pinch..
Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
This sounds like an alloy wheel build which I already have. Am looking for a carbon set.
Bora or various Fulcrum
Old 10-03-2017, 04:25 PM

Fir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
FIR is still there, like many italian brands they dont do marketing neither magazines maybe out of italy. They have really nasty looking wheels.

Edco is not italian but they have decent finished stuff aswell.
The Arrigoni family shut FIR down in 2006 (a couple years after company-founder Giovanni had died) to concentrate on their auto dealership in Bergamo. The Venetian family that owns Gipiemme picked up the FIR brand about five years ago and makes (assembles?) wheelsets in their facility outside Castelfranco Veneto.

Swiss-based Edco provided hubs to FIR in the old days. About the same time as the FIR shutdown, Sapim sold off Edco to a couple of engineers whose Dutch company just went through bankruptcy proceedings earlier this year (hub production was still based in Switzerland). The Dutch company's assets (including Edco) were bought out of bankruptcy last summer, and the new owners have supposedly moved Edco headquarters to Arizona and picked Paul Lew to run the company. Not sure where Edco products will come from in the future, but not thinking Italy.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:21 PM

Would a 29er wheelset suit?

GrigioCarbonio rims, with Carbon-ti hubs and Alpina spokes

100% Italy

Edit: GrigioCarbonio tubular road rims. Look at the weight on these puppies!
http://www.dream-bikes.it/shop/en/541-rims

Last edited by owly; 10-03-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: txt
Old 10-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homagesilkhope View Post
The Arrigoni family shut FIR down in 2006 (a couple years after company-founder Giovanni had died) to concentrate on their auto dealership in Bergamo. The Venetian family that owns Gipiemme picked up the FIR brand about five years ago and makes (assembles?) wheelsets in their facility outside Castelfranco Veneto.

Swiss-based Edco provided hubs to FIR in the old days. About the same time as the FIR shutdown, Sapim sold off Edco to a couple of engineers whose Dutch company just went through bankruptcy proceedings earlier this year (hub production was still based in Switzerland). The Dutch company's assets (including Edco) were bought out of bankruptcy last summer, and the new owners have supposedly moved Edco headquarters to Arizona and picked Paul Lew to run the company. Not sure where Edco products will come from in the future, but not thinking Italy.
Great intel! Thanks.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Would a 29er wheelset suit?

GrigioCarbonio rims, with Carbon-ti hubs and Alpina spokes

100% Italy
No but you have me thinking about the Carbon-Ti hubs. I am a fan of their build quality and hub spec.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:06 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by homagesilkhope View Post

Originally Paul Lew was just going to be the North American distributor/importer. That changed when the bankruptcy happened.

As for where product is coming from, the rims they use are made by Reynolds in Asia. The more recent ones(last couple years) are older Reynolds ones that are modified on the outer layer of carbon. They are working on new ones more specific to Edco but they will be made by Reynolds.

The hubs are going to be the same, made by the people who make the entry level Reynolds hubs. I don't remember the name but I will ask again. Too many Asian hub companies the all kind of blend together at times.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
The hubs are going to be the same, made by the people who make the entry level Reynolds hubs. I don't remember the name but I will ask again. Too many Asian hub companies the all kind of blend together at times.
Not sure now but KT made them for years.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
Originally Paul Lew was just going to be the North American distributor/importer. That changed when the bankruptcy happened.

As for where product is coming from, the rims they use are made by Reynolds in Asia. The more recent ones(last couple years) are older Reynolds ones that are modified on the outer layer of carbon. They are working on new ones more specific to Edco but they will be made by Reynolds.

It'll be interesting to see if the Swiss cross (in the branding) survives. Seems the argument for it's getting thinner and thinner.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:53 PM

In case anyone is wondering, I was also on the search for Italian made pedals and it seems the only current pedal manufacturer located in Italy is Favero. In an email response from their support team it was confirmed that their pedals are 100% made in Italy.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
In case anyone is wondering, I was also on the search for Italian made pedals and it seems the only current pedal manufacturer located in Italy is Favero. In an email response from their support team it was confirmed that their pedals are 100% made in Italy.
From completely domestic parts and materials? Are all the metals mined and smelted in Italy, all the plastics, carbon fiber and paints made from petroleum pumped and refined in Italy, and all the bearings and bolts manufactured in Italy?

We are living in a highly interconnected world economy, and have been since pre-historical times.