Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 PM

WI Eno Eccentric Hub

Thinking about converting a road frame into a fixed gear/single speed bike via the White Industries Eno Eccentric hub.

Hoping to hear some feedback from those that have tried the hub. Thought I read a Paceliner having a problem with the hub slipping. Not sure if it makes a difference but I think the rear dropouts on my frame are Aluminum.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 PM

Many years ago I used one one a few steel frames. Great product.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:28 PM

I have been using one since 2009 the older style with non propriety cogs.
It is absolutely fantastic I haven't touched it ever for maintenance. I think this winter I will finally change out the bearings though they are starting to sound crunchy. If you are thinking about using one I say go ahead I think they are great. Oh mine is the eno style but you can change to the regular axle if so desired.
Have a great day.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:47 PM

Mixed views.

The whole axle is eccentric, so when you rotate the hub around the axle it changes the relative position of the hub, thereby tightening or loosening the chain. If you pull the wheel off to fix a flat, you have to reset the eccentric positioning again from scratch. And it also can work itself loose because it depends only on the tension in the stay ends to keep it from rotating out of position.

The concept is straightforward and works most of the time. What goes wrong? First, it's hard at times to move the hub around the eccentric axle without a wrench in hand, especially after the hub has been used a bit and is a bit dirty.

Second, the chainline isn't always compatible with your drive train. I believe the Eno still comes only with 47.5 mm chainline. That's an old MTB standard. Current MTB has gone wider, but in your case if you're trying to use a standard road frame, your frame needs a chainline of 42.5. You can cheat your way through most of that, but it gets pretty funky by doing so. This is the biggest issue for most people.

Third, the bolt heads are allen key and I've seen a couple of them snapped off. Phil Wood also uses allen bolts but the quality is better and the threading design makes it easier to tighten up.

Last, you can only get a fixed/free or free/free combination, and I'd prefer a double fixed for a winter bike. And if you're going disc, you can only get a disc plus free version, so no single speed fixed gear with disc is possible.

It's got White Industries innards, which are reliable and smooth. The hub is pretty. I wish it wasn't as dated a design as it is, especially with regards to chainline.

Last edited by 11.4; 10-23-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:57 PM

I commute on a disc eno and it works great. It's never slipped on me.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:06 AM

from my experience, and others' anedotes. only use it for coastable singlespeeds. not for fixed gear. if you use it fixed, it will slip.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:07 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I used mine to convert road bike to a fixie for years and never had issues with it slipping. It was set it and forget it.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:50 AM

I road mine up and down the Seattle hills on a brakeless fixed gear for several years. I won't discount others experience, but mine was flawless, and I never had an issue resetting tension or getting the brakes. If you think of the eccentric as a down and back tensioner, you can set it up so that the weight of the bike consistently puts it into position tool free, then tighten as needed. I eventually sold the bike to a friend who also had no issues for years. Neither of us is small or particularly light on the bike.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy man View Post
Thinking about converting a road frame into a fixed gear/single speed bike via the White Industries Eno Eccentric hub.

Hoping to hear some feedback from those that have tried the hub. Thought I read a Paceliner having a problem with the hub slipping. Not sure if it makes a difference but I think the rear dropouts on my frame are Aluminum.
Sold a bunch in the shop and built more than a few. Only 'issue' was how the wheel goes up and down as you adjust chain tension. If no rear brake, no big deal..if one..some deal..rear brake needs adjustment if you change cog size.

Never had one slip and nice hub, typical WI quality.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:42 AM

You'll need a rim with a wide brake track. As you adjust the hub, the rim will move up and down vs the brake pads. Once you get them adjusted properly it's no big deal, but this is part of the calculus of the eccentric hub design.

I had one for years and it was great. It was much easier to deal with than the Paul Components single-speed adjustable dropouts I have on my current single-speed.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:01 AM

I ran one on a getaround bike for a bit. I did run into it slipping from time to time, but very rarely.

Mine was the free/disc and I used a six bolt fixed cog to run free/fixed.

Because of the range of adjustment, I was able to run it on my old Miyata Sportcross with a 29 x 2.1 in the back and it was much fun.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:07 PM

Have an ENO hub on a road frame. I am around 200 lb and ride it fixed on both sides (no locking on one side). It has never slipped for me. Chain line is good for me with a Campagnolo UT crank with the ring in the outer position. I ground/cut down a 3/4" wrench to aid with the chain tensioning when I flip the wheel or flat.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Currently running one in the rotation laced to Pacenti's...flawless so far (knock, knock, knock).

William
Old 10-25-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
Have an ENO hub on a road frame. I am around 200 lb and ride it fixed on both sides (no locking on one side). It has never slipped for me. Chain line is good for me with a Campagnolo UT crank with the ring in the outer position. I ground/cut down a 3/4" wrench to aid with the chain tensioning when I flip the wheel or flat.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
Yup. The outer ring is something like 48.5 mm offset, so your 47.5 mm hub offset works reasonably well. Put on a track hub and it'll be 42.5. A single speed MTB crankset can be anywhere from 44.5 to 53.0. Just read specs and find something that matches.

You really need a cone wrench to do the chain tensioning and keep it pain-free. I just kept one in my tire bag, and ground off most of the handle so it would fit without a problem.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy man View Post
Not sure if it makes a difference but I think the rear dropouts on my frame are Aluminum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricEstlund View Post
Many years ago I used one one a few steel frames. Great product.
Hello All. Hoping to get some clarification -- are there any issues or concerns specific to the type of material of the rear dropouts? I would like to use a WI eno eccentric hub with my old Z4 to ride fixed (ideally) or single speed (more likely). Thanks.