Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 01:49 PM

Talk Me Out of a SRAM Automatix Setup?

Been thinking about trying out a SRAM Automatix coaster brake rear wheel setup. I've read somewhat mixed reviews but most info and reviews I find are a few years old from when these things were new. I can't seem to find much newer than that short of the fact that Speedvagen/Vanilla use it on their Urban Racers.

Anyone tried one and can offer feedback? I've got a couple different bikes I'd potentially trying it on. I've even been leaning towards the idea of bolting one on the back of my Geekhouse track bike Seems like it might be pretty fun on that bike since the bike itself is light, aggressive and overall just super fun to go fast on.

Keeping the clean lines of a track bike intact yet still having a rear braking mechanism is also appealing to me. I'll admit that I LOVE the Urban Racer and combining some of what makes me like that bike with what I already love about my Geekhouse seems like it could be pretty fun to get around town with.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Seems like a fun plan.

The argument against it is just... SRAM. If that talks you out of it that should be all it takes. Since you asked, it probably doesn't.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:23 PM

I got to test ride one of the speedvagen urban racer when they came to DC and it was pretty neat. It changes gear by pedaling force so sprinting would make it trip as would going up a short hill. The sprinting part is kinda counter active but it is what it is. Took a bit to get used to but its very fun and I would build it up for a city commuter.

One big caveat is sram is axing that product.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/inter...s#.WNq32fnyvnE
Old 03-28-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterha View Post
I got to test ride one of the speedvagen urban racer when they came to DC and it was pretty neat. It changes gear by pedaling force so sprinting would make it trip as would going up a short hill. The sprinting part is kinda counter active but it is what it is. Took a bit to get used to but its very fun and I would build it up for a city commuter.

Wonder if this means you could get the hubs for a good price on clearance!
Old 03-28-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Seems like a fun plan.

The argument against it is just... SRAM. If that talks you out of it that should be all it takes. Since you asked, it probably doesn't.
Yeah, I know lots of people are aboard the SRAM hate-train. I personally have never had any issue with SRAM stuff. All of it that I've run, front APEX to Rival to Force to RED, has always just worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterha View Post

That supports what I've heard about it based on impressions from people that have ridden the Urban Racer. I've wanted to ride one and in fact I live in the Portland area and have talked to Sacha on a few occasions but I've sorta avoided it on purpose in order to try to keep my Urban Racer lust in check...

I just gotta get my Geekhouse dialed so it fills that hole

I did hear SRAM was getting rid of it. I haven't been too terribly worried about it though as I bet there's a ton of stock still around that I would think would last a couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonification View Post
Wonder if this means you could get the hubs for a good price on clearance!
Maybe, but they seem cheap enough already honestly. Like $65 for the coaster brake version. I can have a rear wheel hand built for me at Universal Cycles with one of these hubs, a Velocity Dyad rim and Wheelsmith butted spokes for a smidge under $200 built. Seems pretty reasonable.

Last edited by Cameron; 03-28-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:26 AM

I had one and would not recommend it.

Centrifugal force from the speed of the rotation of the wheel moves a spring loaded weight which shifts the gears. So when you are stopped the spring force shifts into low. Then when the wheel spins faster the weight moves away from the axle and actuates the shift.

If you ride over any bumps It will often shift into high gear when the weight gets jostled in the hub.

It's a cool concept but a kickback 2-speed would be way less annoying.

Last edited by Jeff Borisch; 03-29-2017 at 10:32 AM.