Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 06:37 AM

So, can I get a shirt?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
It must be winter somewhere.. Go for a ride already.
No kidding, surprised this isn't locked already..but it's early.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:35 AM

Those guilty of bad wrong think must be punished - send to reeducation camp.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
The problem with the internet is that the pile-on can be worse than the original sin. A lot more people have seen that post now than would have if there was no fuss over it. I don't think that's a good thing.
Agree and I have family and friends that are!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
I hope people are more lenient when I make a mistake.
Have you even ever used the internet?!

That said someone screwed the pooch on this one. Lots of bad PR as I've seen this all over the web on cycling circles now. They definitely did that to themselves. They earned it, and need to own it. I for one hope they, and other, learn from this mistake. They're gonna have some serious work to do to rebuild relationships and trust. Hopefully they actively try to repair things rather than just hoping it all blows over.

Props to them for being based in the US and making parts domestically, but that's not an excuse. Like I said, lots of work for them to do now that could have easily been avoided by doing a bit more thinking.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:08 AM

so the original version I saw had Campagnolo Super Record in place of the Wolf Tooth chainring. it was on Glory Cycles Instagram (since removed, I didn't screenshot). to be fair, they said "what does everyone think of this...?" not necessarily saying they agreed with the image.

anyway, with all the Sram bashing in these parts my initial reaction was "I'll bet Paceline would find this hilarious." meaning, many would throw objections to sexism and homophobia to the side in favor of good old fashioned Sram bashing/Campy love. but would they?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
The conversation, from every side and opinion is necessary. It's a male dominated industry, and this post totally sucks for a piece of our community that may already feel put to the side.
This.

I love cycling. I love talking about bikes.

As a woman and and LGBT person, I have to be way more careful that I want to be about which shops I use; which online places are ok; and even who I will encounter when out riding.

The post was juvenile and by itself not a big deal. In the aggregate, though, those things add up and can make me feel like I'm out of place. It's a counterproductive trend for for-profit businesses. My money spends and Chrome, for example, will never get another dollar from me after their stunt a year or so ago.

The good news is that my bikes themselves don't care at all.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Riding Along

I try not to judge by the mistakes that are made but by how they are dealt with. No person, no organization is perfect, the internet does not seem to care that we live in an imperfect world and does all of it's judging on the action, often with little context, and not by the correction. Golden rule and all that I say.

Last edited by Black Dog; 03-28-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
so the original version I saw had Campagnolo Super Record in place of the Wolf Tooth chainring. it was on Glory Cycles Instagram (since removed, I didn't screenshot). to be fair, they said "what does everyone think of this...?" not necessarily saying they agreed with the image.

anyway, with all the Sram bashing in these parts my initial reaction was "I'll bet Paceline would find this hilarious." meaning, many would throw objections to sexism and homophobia to the side in favor of good old fashioned Sram bashing/Campy love. but would they?
That is where I saw it first as well. I thought it was humorous and was going to send it to OP since it had Campy in the intended favorable light.

I get people can be upset about this and I don't fault them for that. I also am able to think for myself and while in poor taste, I like poor taste humor. It is a crude joke and a lot of people made it more than I bet was intended.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
Of all the things going on in the world, THIS is what people get upset about?

While silly, tasteless, and completely untrue, it's not worth the reaction this is getting. I have a big Wolftooth order in the cart, and this incident will not change my purchase decision. They still make incredible parts, here in Minnesota.
Except for chain ring bolts. They don't quite have those dialed in yet.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:10 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Ya know... I don't really give a rat's behind if you're gay, straight, trying to be male. or trying to be female your money is as green as anyone else's.

You and the bike get treated the same way regardless.

My $.02

M
Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
A lot more people have seen that post now than would have if there was no fuss over it. I don't think that's a good thing.
I'm pretty sure a lot more people have seen their post now that it's deleted than saw it originally. I know I didn't see it until after it was deleted. I feel like everyone that's hosting it to shame Wolftooth should declare mission accomplished and delete their copies, or they are just further propagating the harm by their own choice and they need to own that.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Cat 6

i think it's funny because it's so stupid.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
That is where I saw it first as well. I thought it was humorous and was going to send it to OP since it had Campy in the intended favorable light.

I get people can be upset about this and I don't fault them for that. I also am able to think for myself and while in poor taste, I like poor taste humor. It is a crude joke and a lot of people made it more than I bet was intended.
It's hardly a crude joke. It's a homophobic and sexist joke (I say joke, but I'm not sexist or homophobic so I didn't find it funny).

It shouldn't exist in this day and age.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:50 AM

I wish the 'nipple driver' thread was more interesting than this one