Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 AM

small groups and smaller groups pulling apart just a little...
Old 03-26-2017, 10:14 AM

Terpstra looks very strong today.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the reminder. This one is shaping up very well!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Gva!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:26 AM

Awesome finish
Old 03-26-2017, 10:27 AM
ZhugeLiang

Old 03-26-2017, 10:46 AM

as much as i like GvA, there's a part of me that gets uncomfortable when people go on a roll

Also, Boonen did the E3/Gent double in 2012 on his way of doing the RvV PR dboule. But even he didn't do it out of a break for both of the former two races

Also, Quickstep was penny wise and pound foolish. Really effing annoying to watch them go for the 2 birds in the wood (Gaviria in the peloton) instead of going for the one bird in hand. Cutting off the nose to spite the face.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
as much as i like GvA, there's a part of me that gets uncomfortable when people go on a roll

Also, Boonen did the E3/Gent double in 2012 on his way of doing the RvV PR dboule. But even he didn't do it out of a break for both of the former two races

Also, Quickstep was penny wise and pound foolish. Really effing annoying to watch them go for the 2 birds in the wood (Gaviria in the peloton) instead of going for the one bird in hand. Cutting off the nose to spite the face.
I'm not sure it was GVA's raw power that won that, so much as some questionable tactics from the trailing 3 riders. Sagan clearly had the power to go along on the Kemmelberg, and Degenkolb too. Just poor decision making and brinksmanship that did them in.

I mean, when that group formed after the Kemmelberg, I was thinking it would go to the end, and that had maybe 12 or so guys. If it weren't for JK's sustained effort (not sure if I'd call it an attack), that group would probably have been swallowed.

I'd say Greg owes Jens Keukeleire for that win.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:36 AM

Sagan gave that one away. The instant Terpstra and Andersen started playing games in the quintet, he should have dropped them like a bad habit. Its not like Quickstep hasn't done this to him before. Strongest rider out there but not a chess player... He really needs a director who can get him a second opinion...
Old 03-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Sagan makes hash of another race that doesn't involve "Pedal hard derp derp!" Well call me shocked.

GvA now joins Jan Raas as the only riders to win E3, Omloop and Gent-Wevelgem in the same year.

Quick Step continues to do things in the most Quick Step way possible. Everything changes and nothing changes.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I'm not sure it was GVA's raw power that won that, so much as some questionable tactics from the trailing 3 riders. Sagan clearly had the power to go along on the Kemmelberg, and Degenkolb too. Just poor decision making and brinksmanship that did them in.

I mean, when that group formed after the Kemmelberg, I was thinking it would go to the end, and that had maybe 12 or so guys. If it weren't for JK's sustained effort (not sure if I'd call it an attack), that group would probably have been swallowed.

Greg owes QOPQS' idiocy (and partially that of Sagan) for that win. GvA was also strong as he split the workload and pulled long enough to dishearten the chase behind. However, Sagan was stronger as he had to close a huge gap to GvA when the latter attacked on the Kemmelberg.

that 12-person group was never meant to last when you have the following:

Degenkolb: no one wants to drag him to the line, even when sharing the pace
Matthews: had excuse not to do work when he has a teammate
EBH: had excuse not to do work when he has a teammate

Meanwhile, you have people who wouldn't want to be with sprinters even if they do the work (e.g. GvA and Terpstra). Add up all that, and the 12-person group was never going to gain time on the peloton. Quickstep was foolish in thinking that the front group lacked firepower when it was cohesion that was lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Sagan gave that one away. The instant Terpstra and Andersen started playing games in the quintet, he should have dropped them like a bad habit. Its not like Quickstep hasn't done this to him before. Strongest rider out there but not a chess player... He really needs a director who can get him a second opinion...
it wasn't due to a lack of trying. Terpstra had enough to cover Sagan when the latter tried to bridge across to the front two

Last edited by echappist; 03-26-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Sagan makes hash of another race that doesn't involve "Pedal hard derp derp!" Well call me shocked.

GvA now joins Jan Raas as the only riders to win E3, Omloop and Gent-Wevelgem in the same year.

Quick Step continues to do things in the most Quick Step way possible. Everything changes and nothing changes.
lol. Quite telling when your first sentence disparages 3rd place instead of congratulating 1st. We all know you hate PS, but at least be classy enough give GvM top billing ;-)
Old 03-26-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I'm not sure it was GVA's raw power that won that,

Yes, Jens was there(almost won), but make no mistake GVA had some power out there today...I'm surprised Sagan didn't bridge the initial gap to the two. Whether physical, mental or both , gotta say GVA has got it going on...

Happy to see JD bridge after Kemmel...he should figure in the weeks to come...

Last edited by efaust_o; 03-26-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
lol. Quite telling when your first sentence disparages 3rd place instead of congratulating 1st. We all know you hate PS, but at least be classy enough give GvM top billing ;-)
My love for GvA is deep and abiding and also well known.

He rode a really smart race, as he tends to do. You don't have the Spring campaign he's had so far by making bad decisions.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Classics Fan

I didn't mean to suggest that Greg some how won it today without being strong. He clearly was strong and motivated to animate the race. At the same time, there were a few other riders who could have been more involved and may have made it trickier for GVA. Maybe that is smart riding from him, maybe not so smart from others, it is the way the race unfolded.

The revelation, if you can call it that for a 28 year old, is Keukeleire's performance. His previous best in a class was 6th at roubaix. You never know if it is the rider, or the directions from the DS, but he looked very calm and collected when he was driving the pace while indecision and confusion swirled behind him.

Not suggesting he's weak, but if I said that he was up against GVA in a sprint after working for 15? km off the front, you'd be forgiven for picking GVA every time. And Keuk gave him a pretty good run for his money in the sprint. Like, half a bike length.

ech, you're right of course. I just meant, the strength of that group would be strong enough to hold off a chasing group. Unfortunately (for them), they had been taking cooperation lessons from the house republicans.