Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2016, 06:46 PM

well damn, what a shocker, Herr Klinsmann is gone. C'mon now, Prof Gulati should fall upon his own sword as well.

Doubtful Arena could move the program forward much. Perhaps, Mr. Ramos should get a stab at this? After all, his team did score on Colombia away... Anyone but Arenas

Last edited by echappist; 11-21-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
OK with size, but speed is key to Gegenpressing.

The playmaker is dead. That's why people talk wistfully about Riquelme as a relic of the distant past. (sigh)

Edit: I take that back. The playmaker is dead in the top-level club game, but still has a place in the slower international game, e.g. Wes Hoolahan.
surely you joke, Mesut Ozil quickly comes to mind. also, the best ever (Messi) is a playmaker, he just happens to make a lot of those plays goals. but hes not a striker, or pure goal scorer, hes just amazing and certainly a playmaker.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
well damn, what a shocker, Herr Klinsmann is gone. C'mon now, Prof Gulati should fall upon his own sword as well.

Doubtful Arena could move the program forward much. Perhaps, Mr. Ramos should get a stab at this? After all, his team did score on Colombia away... Anyone but Arenas
the USFF is a joke. I can;'t believe we even are mentioning that dinosaur Arena. if you were not very creative 10 years ago, why would you be now? what a joke. we have to be the least imaginative nation on the planet
Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 PM

Coach is one problem, but the main problem in the US team is the lack of good players. W/O players a good coach can't pull up miracles because there's no foundations for good game play.

To me they need to bring back Donovan, Depmsey and Reyna just to make the whole team to feel like crap and actually do something.

ps: Manuel Pellegrini

Last edited by ultraman6970; 11-21-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:49 PM

FINALLY!!! - guess our petition worked. Start listing your choices.

Off the top of my head, I think that Roberto Di Matteo, Nigel Pearson, Walter Zenga and Frank deBoer are available. But my choice would be - Fabio Capello.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
the USFF is a joke. I can;'t believe we even are mentioning that dinosaur Arena. if you were not very creative 10 years ago, why would you be now? what a joke. we have to be the least imaginative nation on the planet
our players are at least comparable to what Costa Rica has. Most of their team play in the MLS after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post

Off the top of my head, I think that Roberto Di Matteo, Nigel Pearson, Walter Zenga and Frank deBoer are available. But my choice would be - Fabio Capello.
the FC Dallas coach. Capello would be great as he'd rock a 3-piece suit

edit: didn't realize that he also has a penchant of playing people out of position

Last edited by echappist; 11-21-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 PM

Klinnsman had the right ideas, just the wrong manager.

US system needs a wholesale overhaul to really compete with the world's best. If Arena is their answer beyond qualification for the next World Cup as a bridge to another foreign-born, long-term answer in the gig, well, just a signal we're okay with mediocrity.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:26 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
surely you joke, Mesut Ozil quickly comes to mind. also, the best ever (Messi) is a playmaker,
We disagree. Creating assists in tight tactical spaces does not a playmaker make. And that's not to denigrate Özil, or (duh) Messi. If they define the job description, there are, what, seven players in the world who can fill it. The game has just changed, and relies more on speed after transition.

Xabi Alonso is the last remaining traditional playmaker at the top level.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post

Yes, finally. The whole deal needs to be overhauled.

Capello; Di Matteo, Zenga, Baggio as assistants; Il Grande Trap and Lippi as technical advisers...oh, wait...that's what I want for ITA!

Bielsa would be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Klinnsman had the right ideas, just the wrong manager.

US system needs a wholesale overhaul to really compete with the world's best. If Arena is their answer beyond qualification for the next World Cup as a bridge to another foreign-born, long-term answer in the gig, well, just a signal we're okay with mediocrity.
Yes.

Arena version-whatever...please, never again.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
Yes, finally. The whole deal needs to be overhauled.

Capello; Di Matteo, Zenga, Baggio as assistants; Il Grande Trap and Lippi as technical advisers...oh, wait...that's what I want for ITA!

Bielsa would be fun.

Yes.

Arena version-whatever...please, never again.
Between thirsty Landon Donovan passive aggressively reveling in this, and everyone championing Arena and MLS like it's some actual answer to become relevant, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

We couldn't fire Arena quickly enough in 2006.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:19 AM

I like the idea of Frank De Boer, that is a man who thinks the game the right way.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:56 AM
Cranky!

Marcelo Bielsa (available!) or Ralf Rangnick.

Just give them whatever they want . . .
Old 11-22-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Marcelo Bielsa (available!) or Ralf Rangnick.

Just give them whatever they want . . .
Marcelo Bielsa

Just pay the man whatever he wants, even if we lose you know it'll be exciting and the team will go 110%
Old 11-22-2016, 11:40 AM
Head to Ned

Who knew the men had a team too...
Old 11-22-2016, 12:00 PM

Bielsa was in italy with the lassio but looks like quit for some reason after a couple of days.

The biggest problem IMO for any international coach or DT or whatever you want to call them is that is pretty easy to burn yourself when you have a team with pretty much 4 good players... 2 are not playing anymore for the team; dempsey, donovan and the only two players that are actually shine in the team, wood and Pulisic...

DT's really look at those details when they are going to take a team, this is not "bad news bears" level of gaming you know. Probably they need somebody that has nothing to lose at all. An unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Marcelo Bielsa

Just pay the man whatever he wants, even if we lose you know it'll be exciting and the team will go 110%