Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2016, 07:47 PM

OT: USMNT world cup qualifying thread?

Disappointed that they didn't at least draw Mexico on Friday. Looks like Herr Klinnsmann is no longer on the wacky tobaccky and is starting a 4-4-2, though i'm not sure sure having Besler as fullback is such a good idea...
Old 11-15-2016, 08:45 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Besler will do fine.

Bigger issue is the lack of speed with the CMs. I don't think Jones can go a full 90. I liked how Wood & Altidore played off each other. Overall it is a very solid starting XI. Personally I'd play a 4-2-3-1 with pretty much the same starters but a 4-4-2 everyone can play pretty much blind.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:02 PM

oh yikes. Brooks seems to be lost there. Turned the ball over earlier that led to a 2-1 counter, and now this. This isn't the Brooks we are used to seeing at the Copa...
Old 11-15-2016, 09:11 PM

They are playing like crap. the 4-4-2 is ok but aside from Wood they have not shown anything.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:26 PM

Pulisic at least tries. Otherwise others seem half a step too slow, especially Bradley and Jones. At least the latter tries...
Old 11-15-2016, 09:32 PM

Well is not easy to play at night and with humidity and costa rica is very humid...

Yes they are playing bad. Did not see the game with mexico, mexico as a team is pretty bad too so I dont know what to think.

Klinsman's main problem is that he has no players, wood is ok but remember a kid that was like 18 y/o croatian descent or something, but doesnt look like he is playing either (yes he is). Just a thought ok? Wonder if klinsman's picks are influenced by the federation or who knows who... saying this because aregentina is having the same problem, they are putting messi's friends that are just playing bad the team has been doing bad. No idea how they won to colombia today, colombia must have played horrible to lose 3-0 tonite.

US soccer have been getting better but since at least 10 years that I noticed like if every player learn to play soccer using the same book, is not american football or Baseball... is soccer, totally different game, physically the US team is good; Its that genius touch that is missing out from all the players but maybe wood. Put yourself in Klimsman's shoes... how is possible that he can't find better players? the league is not that small either...
Old 11-15-2016, 09:37 PM

Now down 2-0. USA's problem is Klinsmann.
I have no idea how he is allowed to remain -
Old 11-15-2016, 09:42 PM

Perhaps a lot of dirt on Prof. Gulati? Goodness, he actually teaches at my alma pater; perhaps i should start a one man protest demanding him to get back to teaching and away from USASoccer

PS. wow, just wow...
Old 11-15-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Perhaps a lot of dirt on Prof. Gulati? Goodness, he actually teaches at my alma pater; perhaps i should start a one man protest demanding him to get back to teaching and away from USASoccer

PS. wow, just wow...
when were you at kings college
Old 11-15-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
when were you at kings college
technically never was as I am a grad student there. I've been there a long time: enrolled in 2007, took some time off, came back in 2009 and left 2012 as ABD. I've been attempting to finish my dissertation for the past four years, and one way or another, this semester is my last. I thought i could watch some entertaining USMNT action as a distraction from thesis writing, but alas...

Are you an alumnus as well?
Old 11-15-2016, 10:49 PM

Is not 100% Klinsman's fault IMO, all the goals tonite were because of wrong passes, lost balls and players that were in the wrong place. Well you can't blame the goal keeper but he eat at least 1 of those goals.

Costa rican goals were just precision passes... the US team don't have a single player able to drop balls with precision at all. And worse... if they had them, who is going to get the balls? Butter Feet Joe?

Since copa america and before that the US gets to the midfield and lose balls or play the ball to the back...

Man this was just awefull today, and the mexicans almost got served tonite if it wasnt for their goal keeper and a lot of luck.

If you take Klinsman out, who ever you bring won't make that big difference because at some point you have to look at the players.

Just to start you have a 6 feet 5 defense player that can't defend... the midfield players and lateral runners that have butter shoes, lose balls, that run into their own area.... the attack is pretty much 1 guy.

IMO at this level of game, no matter what the technical director says to the players or which is the strategy of gaming they will use, if the players are not performing there's nothing he can do.

The 4 goals today were players errors... dumb errors... what sucks the most is something a commentator was saying.. "the us will qualify for the cup.. and then what?".

IMO Klinsman needs to start scouting other players..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Now down 2-0. USA's problem is Klinsmann.
I have no idea how he is allowed to remain -
Old 11-15-2016, 11:36 PM

Gawd, what a thrashing! Deserved, unfortunately.

Joel Campbell is fantastic. No US player is of his quality.
Some humble pie is coming to Klinsy, I think. The disinterest is growing.
Are any of these players really improving under him? I'm not sure. Other coaches seem more able to deal with the squad they have.

King's GSAPP
Old 11-16-2016, 08:39 AM

Bradley must come out of the midfield. Hes slow, he makes bad decisions, and hes not capable of shutting down the other teams midfield. we must have a better solution.

Jones was good when he first started but hes lost his edge somehow.

Altidore gets isolated up top too often. im not sure hes the type of target we need up there if we are gonna play the lone striker.

I actually really like the 3-5-2, but it requires a much more competent midfield than what we seem to have.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Bradley must come out of the midfield. Hes slow, he makes bad decisions, and hes not capable of shutting down the other teams midfield. we must have a better solution.

Jones was good when he first started but hes lost his edge somehow.

Altidore gets isolated up top too often. im not sure hes the type of target we need up there if we are gonna play the lone striker.

I actually really like the 3-5-2, but it requires a much more competent midfield than what we seem to have.
Agreed on Bradley, he's definitely regressed/become overrated since coming into MLS.
As for Jones, it seems that it's just age is starting to catch up with him so he can't make all the plays he used to where he was a true b2b player.

I'd disagree on Altidore, he seems to isolate himself and can't hold the ball or pick out a good pass. He never seems to be moving into the right place to help the team or holding the ball to feed back to Wood.

3-5-2 sounded great in theory, but I'd argue the defense held us back even more. The back line never seemed to be in sync, and Brooks just had terrible positioning in both games looking quite indecisive overall
Old 11-16-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Agreed on Bradley, he's definitely regressed/become overrated since coming into MLS.
As for Jones, it seems that it's just age is starting to catch up with him so he can't make all the plays he used to where he was a true b2b player.

I'd disagree on Altidore, he seems to isolate himself and can't hold the ball or pick out a good pass. He never seems to be moving into the right place to help the team or holding the ball to feed back to Wood.

3-5-2 sounded great in theory, but I'd argue the defense held us back even more. The back line never seemed to be in sync, and Brooks just had terrible positioning in both games looking quite indecisive overall
seems like we agree on altidore!