Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Retired!

Tony T responded a while back that he didn't care for the animation of Zwift. I'm not sure how his computer is rendering it but I can't say enough good things about it. If you're considering trying this program I would encourage you to do so. I've been using a CompuTrainer for the past 5 winters and while I've enjoyed using the various modes of riding with it, none of them come close to the enjoyment I'm getting (yeah, I actually said enjoyment) with Zwift.

Here's some video I put together from today's ride to show others what this looks like.

https://youtu.be/NIJGWDwKbQI

Kevin g

Last edited by onekgguy; 03-02-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:48 PM

I wish they communicated my physical state on the trainer better.

A 200lb guy at 185bpm on a bike trainer isn't a pretty thing and my stoic mannequin avatar doesn't even look like he's breaking a sweat.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
I wish they communicated my physical state on the trainer better.

A 200lb guy at 185bpm on a bike trainer isn't a pretty thing and my stoic mannequin avatar doesn't even look like he's breaking a sweat.
A long time ago I mentioned that my avatar's shoulders ought to be about midsection, to reflect my physique (or lack thereof).

I do think there ought to be a less idealistic avatar shape.

But the thing I want most is a quick rear check button. Push to look back, let go to return to whatever view you were in. I requested this officially when I first started with Zwift, not quite 2 years ago.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:43 AM

Anyone know how to send a zwift file to strava manually? Doesn't look like my morning ride uploaded, and as we know, if it's not on strava it didn't really happen ;-)
Old 02-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Anyone know how to send a zwift file to strava manually? Doesn't look like my morning ride uploaded, and as we know, if it's not on strava it didn't really happen ;-)
You can get the ride file from your computer. Read down in this thread and it'll explain where to find your ride file. Once you get that log into Strava and do a manual upload.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/a...te-a-fit-file-

Finding your local .fit file

If for any reason you experience an issue, such as a game crash or Internet loss, your fit file is automatically saved every 10 minutes in the \Documents\Zwift\Activities folder on your computer.

If you're riding on iOS, you can reach your .fit file through iTunes.

Plug your device into your computer and open up iTunes.
Click on your device in iTunes, then click "Apps" and scroll down to the "File Sharing" section.
You should see Zwift listed, and it should have a "Zwift" folder. Click that, and then click "Save To" and save it to a location of your choice.
Find the saved Zwift folder, and copy the fit file out of the Zwift/Activities folder.

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 02-11-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Retired!

There's a new addition to the Watopia course. They've added a (cat 4) volcano climb of 2.3 miles and 394 feet. It's a nice addition.

I noticed my laptop downloading an update when I opened the program and thought, hmmm -- what's that about -- a new route? Sure enough. I was lucky enough to stumble onto it. Zwiftblog gives some instructions for how to find it.

Kevin g

Last edited by onekgguy; 03-02-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 PM

No one on Zwift anymore? Weather improved?
Old 03-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
i was, last night, at 1030, after eating a huge five guys bacon cheeseburger and fries...it was a mistake.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM

I only Zwift nowadays but even Zwifting is getting hard to do. I rode 4 times this month so far. 8 or 9 times in Jan, 8 or 9 times in Feb. Even for me this is pretty low volume.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
2x-4x/wk, and no.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
Retired!

Quote:
I was on Zwift twice last week but I was outdoors yesterday. I like the way I push myself on Zwift so I may keep my subscription up during the summer for a more intense workout each week or two.

Kevin g
Old 03-28-2017, 10:02 PM

Too hot inside for Zwift.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:09 PM

I'm finally getting into the Zwift thing...just purchased a Wahoo Kickr Snap. Now I'm discovering that there's other stuff I gotta buy to get the "ideal" experience. I did a little trial run yesterday connecting my iPad with bluetooth to the smart trainer. Pretty darn cool! I do want the large screen experience though and naively thought my existing TV and PC would work. I told my little brother (who is a gaming PC expert) the specs of my current PC. He just laughed. I'll just say it is ca 2007 and leave it at that. My TV is a 50" Panasonic Plasma 720P. I've got tentative agreement with my S.O. that we'll get a budget gaming PC. My brother says he can build something good for around $500 (Core i3 7100, mid range graphics card, 8Gb memore, etc). I got all excitted about that then started reading up on using a 720 plasma TV for the monitor...some doubt opinions. Crap...yet another thing to upgrade..

Therefore I do have a couple questions, based on some alternative ideas I'm mulling. I've read about half the posts in this thread, so apologies if I'm asking something that has already been answered:

- How does zwift look mirrored from an iPhone 6S onto a 1080P TV? I would use one of those lightning to HDMI connectors (ie, thinking of investing in a new TV instead of a new PC to run zwift). Will this option look better than Zwift running on a modern PC that is being rendered on a 720P Plasma TV?

- I guess the question is really what is going to degrade picture smoothness more: running it from an iPhone 6s (to a good TV) or displaying on an older Plasma TV (running it on a good PC)

- Sounds like I need an Ant+ stick either way so I can get my ant+ HR, speed, and cadance signals into Zwift. if I have a single Ant+ stick plugged into the pc (or Ant+ dongle on my iphone) will it take all three signals? ..the power data will be coming from my Smart Trainer via Bluetooth.

- I guess I'm just trying to figure out the best bang-for-the-buck way of getting Zwift onto a large screen without having to buy a new 1080P TV AND new PC. As mentioned, I already have a Smart Trainer. Hopefully I'm on the right track here...
Old 04-25-2017, 02:27 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
distant memory...ride outside exclusively now.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:10 PM

Ant+ dongle receives HR, speed, cadence for me. I don't use Bluetooth.

I don't know the answers to the other questions.

I'll be on Zwift most of the time. I expect my outdoor training to be limited to races with maybe 6-12 rides outside this year.