Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2016, 09:34 AM

You don't need a smart trainer for Zwift, just an approved dumb trainer and an ANT+ dongle and speed sensor. However if your goal is to work with a coach, having a power meter is very helpful, which is part of any true smart trainer. You will also get tension feedback from Zwift which makes the riding more realistic. For $400 I would go with the Tacx Vortex Smart over any Kurt Kinetic product.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:39 AM

Some good info here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2...endations.html

I bought a used Computrainer (more than your current budget tho) and use Trainerroad. Smart trainer (i.e. with power) is the way to go at least for me, I'm not mentally tough enough to use a dumb trainer. I need ERG mode so I can just pedal at the right power levels and focus on Netfix
Old 09-27-2016, 09:49 AM

If you haven't done so already, your premise, that the online programming will be just as good, warrants some consideration. For me, coaching is about so much more than what workouts to do. Yes, a one-size-fits-most plan will get you the structure that most cyclists never incorporate. That's the easy part, though. Fitting it into a busy life, tailoring for the unexpected, customizing as needed when you're exhausted or making gains faster than expected, and (especially) making sure you don't overdo it and burn out every 2 months? Way harder.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 AM

Remember that there are two aspects to cycling. One is very objective, that's fitness related. It never hurts to be more fit.

However the other aspect is the skills part. It's not as objective so it appears that most coaches/programs don't address it. However, from a somewhat subjective point of view, better riding skills can help you immensely, especially when it comes to riding with other riders (i.e. when you draft).

Many training coaches help you become a stronger cyclist, not a better one. To become a better one you need to work on the skills aspect. This pretty much requires local presence.

The fact that the coach owns the local shop and is therefore local really works in your favor. I imagine there would be a lot of skills related feedback that you wouldn't get from a remote coach.

I'd ask if he'd be willing to work on skills with you. If interested in racing or group riding I'd specifically ask about bumping (side-to-side) and touching wheels (front tire to another back wheel). These two skills will help you maximize your ability to draft, absolutely the most crucial thing in performing at your best in a flatter group ride/race.

Plus some other basic things. For me the other basic skills would be the bunny hop (not too much there), one handed riding (one thing is holding near the stem), picking things up off the ground (move hips off saddle, like Sagan in a descent, so you can reach without needing to stretch a lot or be flexible), and trackstands (key is to roll backward). These skills may not be exactly pertinent to your cycling, like you may never need to pick something up off the ground, but all the exercises will help make you feel more fluent on the bike. And when you need to pick up that bottle or bunny hop a pothole or do a trackstand you'll be able to do it fluently, comfortably.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 AM

I have one of the Tacx Bushido Smarts, they are pretty awesome, but a tad more expensive. Smart trainers definitely help me to not cheat the last interval, which is oh so easy on a standard trainer. Zwift was fun for the first week or so, but got old pretty quick- I switched to just using trainerroad after my free trial ran out. Definitely recommend going smart trainer (don't forget to budget in an Ant+ dongle for your laptop!) and trying it out before deciding to commit $150/month of a coach. If after you use the trainer for a few months and feel like you need a more tailored solution, you'll have the tools for the coach to give proper feedback.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 AM

I have the Bushido TDF, the Perform labeled Euro version that comes with the tablet mount. I went with the Bushido for race warmups, because it doesn't require power to run. I could also program my standard stepped warmup into it. I wound up retiring before I ever used it that way.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
Some good info here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2...endations.html

I bought a used Computrainer (more than your current budget tho) and use Trainerroad. Smart trainer (i.e. with power) is the way to go at least for me, I'm not mentally tough enough to use a dumb trainer. I need ERG mode so I can just pedal at the right power levels and focus on Netfix
DC said in the comments on that post that he's going to have an updated list out soon for 2016-2017. If it's not urgent to get a trainer, I would wait on that to come out before making any kind of decision.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:26 AM
Administrator

i started this thread not too long ago:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...light=zwifting

i will also be zwifting this off-season. i havent bought a trainer set-up yet either, nor have i decided on one.

Pres - would it be OK if i merged the two threads so we can keep all this good info together?

it would be cool if we can keep these threads current and share our experiences with progress over the off-season.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:27 AM

I have a Tacx trainer that has power but does not have the fancy computer attachments.

My opinion is you should consider trying the coach for a little while:

- You can probably sign up for a short term coaching program at the bottom end of the options. Say a 4 month training plan with just occasional checkups.

- Having the interaction with a coach may provide the motivation you need to actually follow through on the training.

- A good coach even at these lower levels of service is probably still going to provide you a more personalized plan.

- Coaches are very good at giving you both appropriate workout types and looking at the big picture. (What you should be doing 1 day, what you should be doing in a training "block", how many training blocks per week, how many weeks between recovery weeks.)

Online programs look good but you still have to do more of it yourself and if you don't know what you're doing there is more guessing involved to personalize it and apply it.

In the grand scheme of things coaching is not that expensive relative to the seeming budgets folks have on here for cycling $$ and IME it has been very rewarding. Sometimes I regret money spent on a bike, or components, or a fitting, but I have never regretted working with a coach the few times I've done it. Both times I had picked a goal and worked with a coach to formulate a plan for that particular goal and both times I did very well.

Now maybe the right answer going into October is to do Zwift or something for a few months and then start with a coach in February or something though. It's not necessarily an either/or. I'd have no desire to be paying for any trainer related service in the Spring/Summer/Fall when I'm outside 99% of the time but in the winter it might be good vs. money spent on a coach. (Of course the coach may direct you to do things off the bike as well if you ask for an off season training plan which something like Zwift probably doesn't cover.)

Last edited by benb; 09-27-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i started this thread not too long ago:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...light=zwifting

i will also be zwifting this off-season. i havent bought a trainer set-up yet either, nor have i decided on one.

Pres - would it be OK if i merged the two threads so we can keep all this good info together?

it would be cool if we can keep these threads current and share our experiences with progress over the off-season.
oh yes please, I could use as much advice or guidance as possible. I hate to spend money on some thing like this, but know it makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Ex-Mr.President

I am beginning to think that a trainer and programs like zwift or other types of things online make sense for now. If I can build fitness over the winter, I have my summers to do as I please. Going into the summer with a better ability and then hooking up with a coach...my pal come spring, to spend the summer building skills and raising fitness to new heights sounds like a decent plan.

I just have never had a plan.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.president View Post
i am beginning to think that a trainer and programs like zwift or other types of things online make sense for now. If i can build fitness over the winter, i have my summers to do as i please. Going into the summer with a better ability and then hooking up with a coach...my pal come spring, to spend the summer building skills and raising fitness to new heights sounds like a decent plan.

I just have never had a plan.
+1
Old 10-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
oh yes please, I could use as much advice or guidance as possible. I hate to spend money on some thing like this, but know it makes a lot of sense.
OK, i merged the threads Mr Pres!
Old 10-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Also, i just spend a rainy saturday cleaning out a spot in the basement to make a new trainer area. getting ready to set up a proper pain cave for the off season.

sounds silly, but i'm starting to almost look forward to zwifting this winter!
Old 10-09-2016, 06:15 PM

I've been using Zwift for the past couple of months. Air pollution here in Beijing has gotten better, but the traffic hasn't so most of my riding is done indoors, which I don't really mind.

ZWIFT has been an amazing upgrade to my indoor riding. I use a Stages powermeter and a tacx satori, interfacing with a Lenovo G50 laptop and a flatscreen TV. Your internet should be fast enough so that there is no glitchy slowdowns. Also, if your internet is not fast enough, you will not be able to participate in the group rides.

For me, joining ZWIFT has been one of the best purchases of the year. I do a lot of the group rides, events. Yes, it is not like the real thing, but it is 70-80% of the excitement of going on a big fast competitive group ride (like I used to do at Hains Point in DC), but without any of the hassles and dangers. I can't say enough good things about it. Rode for an hour and a half yesterday on Zwift.

Once in a while some pros show up and you can ride with them. It sucks though when they can sustain 6 w/KG for minutes up a hill. Riding with Fumy Beppu from Trek a couple of days ago...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (66).jpg (50.0 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by yashcha; 10-09-2016 at 06:41 PM.