Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Administrator

The Official ZWIFTING Thread

I'd hopefully like to use this thread as a collection of information and keep it rolling through the off-season with experience and stuff.

I've now heard from a number of riders i consider pretty respectable that zwift has changed the way they train in the off-season. typically i lay off the bike in the winter and do the gym cardio thing, but if i could stay engaged this winter with some motivation other than mind numbing boredom, that would be a plus!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Administrator

so to start:

what is my least expensive option to get going, equipment wise?

i think i would like to acquire a "smart trainer". which one?

will my little chromebook have enough computing power to run the software?
Old 08-24-2016, 11:13 AM

I'm currently using a 4 year old Macbook Air

- P2M + Garmin Ant+ Dongle + Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.

Things I found useful:
- Cheap phone mount for controlling Zwift via Zwift App (http://blog.trainerroad.com/custom-phone-mount/)
- Garmin Anti+ Dongle: stick with the mini one, it stay plugged in on my laptop, it wont snap off like the USB sticks.
- 1 Dongle per Application (1 for Zwift and if you'd like Trainerroad you'll need a second one). A few people use Zwift for the entertainment factor but prefer the TR programs however Zwift has workouts integrated now.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:33 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
so to start:

what is my least expensive option to get going, equipment wise?

i think i would like to acquire a "smart trainer". which one?

will my little chromebook have enough computing power to run the software?
chromebook is not going to cut it, I don't think you can even install it in a chromebook.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Administrator

that's a bummer. i may need to up my laptop game for this.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:46 AM

I'm not sure a Chromebook will work but that could just be me. You need a computer that will work with an Ant+ dongle, which usually means drivers. Also you need a fast Internet connection l, and if you want to use a large monitor, a good video adapter or very modern chipset.

My Zwift setup is:

Lenovo Z580 Core i5 laptop. Not super new or powerful.
Garmin Ant+ mini dongle
Belkin 16' powered USB cable to put the dongle next to the bike
HP 28" monitor via HDMI
Tacx Bushido TDF smart trainer
Conductor's stand for the laptop
Cable receiver, DVD player, and separate 19" TV for non-Zwift video
Gemini DJ mixer
MPow Bluetooth earbuds
Yamaha computer speakers for when I'm sick of the earbuds
24" commercial exhaust fan

That's all I can think of at the moment. I use my iPhone logged into Zwift for the ride ons and PM's. In the offseason I use the Felt on the trainer with a dedicated Mavic Aksium trainer wheel and Tacx trainer tire. This keeps the Redline available for road use. The Felt has an SRM which is set up in Zwift as the power reference. However with a Smart trainer you don't need a PM as they have one built in.

I can't recommend a good fan highly enough. It can make the difference between suffering and being miserable. Every trainer setup needs good cooling. Those cheap 20" box fans don't cut it for me unless I'm doing a recovery ride.

I don't do Zwift workouts but I do the group rides and races. The underground races are my favorite, but I haven't ridden the trainer in months so I don't know if they're still around.

The best smart trainer for the buck used to be the Tacx Vortex Smart through overseas retailers but I haven't kept up with pricing. I paid just under $500 for my Bushido TDF from a German retailer.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:49 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that's a bummer. i may need to up my laptop game for this.
I have not used it since last winter but remember it being pretty unoptimized and even then it looked like crap. That said I know they are not a video game company and graphics is not the top necessity for this.

It runs fine on my desktop but very slow on my other desktop (not that powerful). You don't need the latest and greatest but something decent.

I was a bit disappointed with the customer service last time, I know they were slammed but took a month to reply to my message and then it was something super generic, I hope they tighten up things. I had this problem that the program would crash and the only way to make it work was to install on a different desktop and copy the files to that desktop... i had no idea what was wrong but some people were having the same problem. I came up with that work around but after every update i would have to do the same thing and got annoying... then spring came and I threw the trainer out the window.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 PM
ergottWheels

Good info so far. I'm using a Bushido in conjunction with my P2M crank for accurate power numbers.

There are also training plans you can follow if you like. Long term and longer term. I've done a few workouts and they are very rewarding, particularly the FTP workouts (SST, sweet spot training).

We can organize some Paceline pacelines
Old 08-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Thoughts on fans, after seeing countless trainer pain caves with inadequate fans:
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...etter-fan.html

Bottom line you should be able to spend about $45 for a pretty solid fan, 4000-6000 CFM. Box fans are closer to 2500 CFM, not enough for almost anyone.

Setting up Zwift:
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...ing-zwift.html

I use a Mac laptop, 2011, so pretty minimal. I'm down to a few frames per second in large groups, like 2-3 fps. But for me that's okay, I rarely do big groups for a variety of reasons.

1. Ant+ dongle (tiny thing), I think about $30
2. USB extension cord, 6', to get the Ant+ dongle under the bike, I think $5-10?
3. Ant+ speed/cadence sensor (mounted in tandem with my wired SRM pick ups), maybe $40?
4. Ant+ HR strap (so HR shows up in Zwift), I got the hard surface Garmin $35 or so.
5. Kinetic Road Machine dumb/classic trainer

And the fan.

Trainer (KK Road Machine on a modded CycleOps frame - KK and CycleOps use the same base/frame specs so the resistance units interchange on the frames):

My set up, sort of:

The WinAmp laptop died (HD) so I use iTunes in the background of the Mac. I don't use the baby monitor anymore. My big fan is on the floor there.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:39 PM

whoa, i think something essploded on that trash can, looks red, ummm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
My set up, sort of:
Old 08-24-2016, 03:05 PM

Yeah, Zwift won't run on a Chromebook, needs 64 bit Windows or Mac.

Some are thinking there may be an iPad app soon, though...

The faster the graphics card, the better Zwift will look. If it looks like an N64 game, it's your computer's fault...

I don't like my Bushido at all, but other here like theirs. Vortex feels more realistic to me.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 PM

Suunto Movestick Mini works well for the ANT+ stick. Many people say you NEED a USB extension cable, I do not use one. If you don't have a power meter, you can get by with a speed sensor (GSC-10 or equivalent) but accuracy will not be amazing.

The Facebook community (search for "Zwift Riders") is quite large and there are many folks who can help with the more minor issues you may run in to.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:18 PM

I've been on for about a year.

I use the most basic model Alienware Alpha, which is more than enough for a computer. Yeah, I bought a computer for only Zwift, which runs to a small flat-screen TV. The main thing is that the computer has sufficient graphics speed- the processor doesn't have to be lightning fast. I can upgrade the Alienware when I need to (processor, memory...), unlike a lot of laptops and small form-factor computers.

I don't do the social thing on Zwift, other than the occasional Ride On. If I can type, I'm not working hard enough.

For me, it's just a motivational form of stimuli. The "terrain" spurs me on. The jerseys spur me on. The random guy from New Zealand spurs me on...

If you're using a dumb trainer, make sure your setup is perfect or better yet, use a power meter. Nobody likes a virtual doper, and there are plenty of them on Zwift (look for the "cone of shame" or extremely high sustained w/kg).
Old 08-24-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Yeah, Zwift won't run on a Chromebook, needs 64 bit Windows or Mac.

Some are thinking there may be an iPad app soon, though...

The faster the graphics card, the better Zwift will look. If it looks like an N64 game, it's your computer's fault...

I don't like my Bushido at all, but other here like theirs. Vortex feels more realistic to me.
There's the Bushido, and the Bushido Smart. Both will work with Zwift, but the Smart (or TDF) is way better.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Trainer help

I am beginning to take cycling a bit more seriously. I had planned on getting a coach and working with him/her to become a better cyclist. The guy I was considering is a great racer, owns the shop closest to me and is a decent pal. $150/month to begin with. He told me a lot of his data will come from a trainer and the HR, wattage (if possible) and other biometric jazz.

Sounded great until my best mate told me to just get a trainer and look at several of the online options as there are loads of programs like Zwift and trainer road.

The cost is way less and the opportunities while more on your own seem as good if not more ideal to someone who is trying to gain fitness while really pushing what I am capable of.

With that said I was looking at the kinetic road machine 2.0 smart trainer. it has great reviews, but wanted to ask the collective their opinion. I know I need a "smart" trainer to participate in zwift and some other stuff. Any recommendations that might be as good for less money or better for similar money...about $400.