Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson
This place is normally pretty calm and when necessary, we can agree to disagree.
If that were the case, this thread would have ended a 4 pages ago, it has now turned into a thinly veiled advert for one on-line retailer.

Tony
Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 AM

Whether the thread gets closed or not is up to moderators, but I'd like to ask everyone to consider that it's a lousy idea at this point to keep feeding the troll.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman
This is one of the weirdest threads in recent memory. My takeaway is that I should shop at my LBS, as long as my LBS is a mail-order company in England. Noted.
My takeaway is that don't even bother stopping by your LBS, just buy from an on-line shop in Illinois (oh, and even though it's on-line, you have to call or you pay retail)

Yes, weirdness indeed.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Like I said, this is classic concern trolling. It's not that Tony wants to keep a fight going about nothing, it's not that Tony keeps moving the goalposts, it's not that Tony doesn't bother to listen to other people, it's certainly not that Tony wants lots of attention for Tony, it's that Tony is very concerned about the health and well-being of my LBS.

Don't feed the troll. Or better still, lock the thread.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
But even at $2900, that still quite a lot below the minimum recognized margin to break even at the end of the year fort a typical retail shop..you know, pay your fixed costs, pay the variable costs and make ZERO net profit, plus not losing any money, adding debt.

I suspect the LBS makes it up other places, like we do, soft goods, service, things that have a decent margin. I sold 2011 SR Ti for $3100.
Yes, point taken. I did not just buy the grouppo, I purchased the complete build, so my LBS (who I won't name, as I see no need for gratuitous advertising), made his profit from the complete build.

Tony
Old 03-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
I'd go a step further since I started the mess.

Moderators -please close this thread.
Yes, please do. This thread has become an advertisement.

The Paceline Forum is NOT . . . • For individuals or companies to promote their products, goods, services or themselves.

Last edited by Tony T; 03-10-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Why do you consider this a fight? Is that how you participate in a discussion when you have nothing to contribute?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Concern troll. Mostly #3. But then again, I have nothing to contribute.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
The only thing that I'm "disrupting" (#1) is advertisement for one on-line retailer.
Strange how there is only one that is being constantly recommended on this thread. How is it possible that there are no other choices?

Of course you cannot respond to that question, so you'll label me a "troll".

Tony

Last edited by Tony T; 03-10-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Follow Dave Thompson's advice and give it a rest Tony.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 AM

Okay, I guess I'll give this one last try:

1) The OP asked for the best deal on a group.
2) Several people provided an answer.
3) Several of those answers, though not all of them, noted that VeloMine, which nobody at the sites owns, operates, or is affiliated with in any way, is a great place, offers great prices, and is owned by great people.
4) You then began shilling for the Brit sites, which offer great prices but sometimes present warranty problems for purchasers (ask me how I know).
5) People, including me, responded by noting that such problems exist and that VeloMine, or another US retailer, might, given that, be the better way to go for the OP.
6) You then began your "LBS is the best" routine, which, if you take a minute to search the site's archives, is something that we've talked about hundreds of times and is a debate that not only can't be resolved but always comes down to cost vs. convenience vs. the merits supporting one's local economy. Except, of course, that many of us don't have LBS's that sell Campy.

Regardless, the OP asked about the best price for a given group, and the answer to that question, the question at hand, is almost certainly not, "your LBS". So, if you're not a troll, awesome, but this thread suggests otherwise. Still, I'm always in favor of new folks joining the party, so maybe next time you choose to participate in a thread you won't troll it. It's up to you.

And with that, I'm well and truly done.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 AM

I'm not sure what you're on about...but...I recommended both Ribble and Velomine which happen to be the (2) places I buy Campy from.

I have also had great pricing/service from Shinybikes and, in the past, PBK (whose prices are now much higher).

You've got a bright future here, I'm sure.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
The only thing that I'm "disrupting" (#1) is advertisement for one on-line retailer.
Strange how there is only one that is being constantly recommended on this thread. How is it possible that there are no other choices?

Of course you cannot respond to that question, so you'll label me a "troll".

Tony
Old 03-10-2012, 11:01 AM

That you're continuing this discussion is contrary to your description of me as a troll.

My questioning the comments made about the best prices is just that, a question -- and a valid one when the on-line site most mentioned lists their prices higher than many other on-line sites, and not just UK sites. The response I got was that you have to call to get the lower price (which usually is not a good sign).

Whether one buys in the UK, US or LBS is a personal decision, however, there was a lot of misinformation regarding warranty of parts bought from the UK. If you buy from the UK, my read of the Campy Warranty agreement is that all that is needed is for the customer to send the defective part to a Campy UK Service Center. The discussion then went from "its not warranted" to "it may not be warranted" and then to "its a hassle to return a part to the UK"

You may see that as trolling, however, if we can get a resolution to the warranty question (which should be easy with the collected knowledge here), then anyone who had the patience to wade though this thread can learn something.

You, however, have reduced yourself to name calling, very nice.

Quote:
You then began shilling for the Brit sites, which offer great prices but sometimes present warranty problems for purchasers (ask me how I know)..
Ignoring your misrepresentation of me as a Shill, please tell me how you know about warranty problems (keeping is mind that attempting to return a part bought in the UK to a US Service Center is not a problem, but just not following instructions)

Tony

Last edited by Tony T; 03-10-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Seems like this one is past its prime.

Thank you all for participating and thanks for all the useful info.

The Mods.
Closed Thread