Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2017, 06:23 AM

Thr

First day back on the bike after a total hip replacement. I was like a kid at xmas with a new toy. Trackstanding at every light, big grin on my face as I died after every effort. Doctor, after saying he couldn't give me equal leg length, said my nerves looked good enough to give me the 20 millimeters I needed and as a result the two legs are exactly the same length for the first time in 47 years. Thanks Spoke for the post about your experience.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:25 AM
ZhugeLiang

Soul pal, congratulations!

A new beginning....
Old 03-28-2017, 06:37 AM

Did they put you on a rack?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:41 AM
Riding Along

welcome back to the bike!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:29 AM

Welcome back! Just in time for Spring and Summer.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:41 AM

Congrats. Titanium hips are the best. Did you go for wireless or mechanical shifting?

Keep up with the PT excises and stretching!

Instagram
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Congrats. Titanium hips are the best. Did you go for wireless or mechanical shifting?

Keep up with the PT excises and stretching!
Yes, the stretching I really need. Standing I can feel the tightness but 9 weeks in Im thankful to be back on the bike!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
First day back on the bike after a total hip replacement. I was like a kid at xmas with a new toy. Trackstanding at every light, big grin on my face as I died after every effort. Doctor, after saying he couldn't give me equal leg length, said my nerves looked good enough to give me the 20 millimeters I needed and as a result the two legs are exactly the same length for the first time in 47 years. Thanks Spoke for the post about your experience.
Congrats!!!

I can TOTALLY relate to the amazing feeling of getting back on the bike after having joint replacement ( knee for me ). The first time I was able to turn the cranks in the trainer without stiffness, I literally cried, wept. My wife thought I was nuts.

So happy for you! It is a great feeling!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Congrats!!!

I can TOTALLY relate to the amazing feeling of getting back on the bike after having joint replacement ( knee for me ). The first time I was able to turn the cranks in the trainer without stiffness, I literally cried, wept. My wife thought I was nuts.

So happy for you! It is a great feeling!!!
Thanks man glad Im not the only one that felt like that. Got off the bike and could not stop slapping the top of my helmet with my hand. My neighbors prolly think I should be locked up...
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 AM

Thr

A good friend of my just had a THR, he put it off for YEARS, then finally the pain got too bad and he did it, lets just say he is very happy.

I have pitiful knees, they hurt, but not so much that I cannot do what I want/need to do (no running, but who cares). I figure to wait till I am 65 or so then get it done.

Congrats, generally orthopedic procedures are just "patch jobs", in this case they actually "fixed" a problem.

Ray
Old 03-28-2017, 01:46 PM

A good friend of my just had a THR, he put it off for YEARS, then finally the pain got too bad and he did it, lets just say he is very happy.

I have pitiful knees, they hurt, but not so much that I cannot do what I want/need to do (no running, but who cares). I figure to wait till I am 65 or so then get it done.

Congrats, generally orthopedic procedures are just "patch jobs", in this case they actually "fixed" a problem.

Ray[/QUOTE]

Ya I had a slipped epiphysis as a kid and had it pinned and a second operation to remove the pins (4 of them). Leg bowed out some and was 20 mm shorter prior to the thr. Threw away the cleat shims, installed new cleats and had the first pain free ride in 2 years. My backs a little stiff, but Im not young anymore
Old 03-28-2017, 02:23 PM

Wow Soulspinner, great news. Tomorrow it will have been 3 weeks since I have a left leg THR. Bad new is my right is painful and it will have to be done.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
Wow Soulspinner, great news. Tomorrow it will have been 3 weeks since I have a left leg THR. Bad new is my right is painful and it will have to be done.
Its amazing how far the proceedures and and anesthesia have come. I ate solids right away, was walking with a walker 5 hours after they put me under(not recovery!) and went home in 23 hours. DO that PT and recover quickly!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:07 AM

Congrats on your surgery and recovery. It has been almost 8 years for me. Can I ask who your surgeon was and did he offer resurfacing as an option.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 AM

I wasnt eligible for a resurface...His words were your hip is real bad...and the previous surgeries prevented an anterior approach. My surgeon was Dr John Ginnetti. Surgery was done at Evarts Joint Center in Rochester NY. Cant say enough good things.