Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Weekend trip to LA

Going to LA tomorrow with the wife for our anniversary. There Friday through Monday. We are staying in Santa Monica. We will go see friends in Laurel Canyon, go to the Ace Hotel for a show and to the Forum for a concert. Otherwise, probably just around Santa Monica and the other beaches. Debating Uber vs renting a car. With hotel parking I think the car will run $450-500.

Any recommendations for must sees are appreciated too.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:45 PM

I dont have recommendations but Santa Monica was my favorite part of LA when I lived in Southern Ca, it's a really fun little town. I'm sure you guys will have a great time even if just perusing the streets.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Going to LA tomorrow with the wife for our anniversary. There Friday through Monday. We are staying in Santa Monica. We will go see friends in Laurel Canyon, go to the Ace Hotel for a show and to the Forum for a concert. Otherwise, probably just around Santa Monica and the other beaches. Debating Uber vs renting a car. With hotel parking I think the car will run $450-500.

Any recommendations for must sees are appreciated too.
LACMA
The Broad
MOCA
The Getty
Hammer Museum
Norton Simon
Amoeba Records
Crossroads Kitchen (Vegan but you'd never know it - make a reservation)
Golden Saddle
Donut Friend

Amazing Mexican food everywhere, great Korean, Thai, Japanese food in certain neighborhoods. The celebrity **** is boring. Hollywood is cleaned up now and owned by the Scientologists.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

If you like tacos, after the show at the ACE, hit up Guisados. It's in DTLA on Spring, between 5th and 6th. Parking right next door.

http://www.guisados.co/menu/
Old 07-27-2017, 03:58 PM

Driving and parking in much of LA is really a PITA. You don't have much unscheduled time left so you probably will not have to travel far for any other adventure you may be able to squeeze in. If you're at all into cars The Petersen Automotive Museum on Wilshire Blvd. is near Santa Monica and I could spend 1/2 day there easily. Public transport to either Getty is your best bet now. Admission is free but you need to reserve parking in advance if you want to drive.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:15 PM

Fritto Misto is really really good "italian"

I put it in quotes because its not traditional italian, but its got a twist. My favorite thing ever is the Atomic Pasta
Old 07-27-2017, 04:48 PM

Don't rent a car. It'll be hot this week so stay on the Westside. Venture down to Manhattan Beach/Hermosa Beach. Walk or do a $5 Lyft to Venice (Abbot Kinney). Santa Monica usually has one of the top 5 restaurants in Southern California so if you don't mind spending $200 for dinner.

Downtown is underwhelming but if you have time put aside 3 hours to explore. You will see everything worth seeing (not much).

Guisados is ok. The owners are nice people (from my hood).

If you like Italian check out:

http://www.thefactorykitchen.com/

Very "Big City" without the pretension of Bestia

https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/restaurants/bestia

As for parking, LA is still the Land of Parking Lots (hi, Ed Ruscha!) Plus....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_rfT9nyyE8

Last edited by beeatnik; 07-27-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:51 PM

I live close to Santa Monica and didn't own a car for a few months. Uber and Lyft are plentiful all over LA. Leave the driving to someone else and as a bonus, no worries about parking.

If you are into boats or hanging out in the Marina, the water taxi runs all summer long in the Marina. Great way to see MDR and check out all the yachts, sail boats, kayaker, etc. Fun way to spend a few hours. Stops all over the Marina. Cheap too. One dollar per ride. http://marinawaterbus.com

Enjoy your trip! Weather has been amazing on the west side these last few days.

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 07-27-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:38 PM
#RYFB

Definitely second the Lyft (not Uber) recommendation versus renting a car, much more convenient, no parking woes, drink all you want, etc. You're better off taking a taxi from LAX though, the carpooling wait situation is seriously messed up.

If you want to check out DTLA consider taking the Expo line and other light rail; it's kind of novel for us natives, perhaps less so for visitors depending on where you're from.

If you want a good burger and great beer selection, check out Father's Office. You're spoiled for choice when it comes to food. Also second a visit to Abbot Kinney, not such a fan of the South Bay beaches myself.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:39 PM

All of the below are moderately priced, def won't break the bank:

Gjelina - Venice, italian food
MB Post - Manhattan Beach, american
Fishing with Dynamite - Manhattan Beach, seafood
Tsujita - Sawtelle, japanese ramen
Sugarfish - Marina Del Rey or Brentwood, sushi - get the Trust Me meal
Yuchun - Koreatown, korean cold noodles
M Grill - Koreatown, Brazilian bbq
Kang Ho-dong Baekjeong - Koreatown, Korean BBQ

too much to list but really depends on what you like.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:46 PM

Thanks guys. Super helpful. Rental car canceled. Keep the suggestions coming. Anyone going to be at the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix? And why Lyft over Uber?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:02 PM

Uber and Lyft are competing for market share in L.A. This makes their prices significantly lower than they are in other parts of the country. Parking is a hassle, you could get a ticket which would up your budget another $70 a pop. I would Uber the whole time with confidence that you'll spend much less than $400...and you will save a ton of time.

p.s. Guisados is very good. I also really like Loqui in Culver City. A Godmother from Bay Cities Italian Deli is also on my recommended list.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Thanks guys. Super helpful. Rental car canceled. Keep the suggestions coming. Anyone going to be at the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix? And why Lyft over Uber?
Lyft treats their drivers much better. In LA, you will find as many Lyft cars as uber.

If you go to the MB Grand Prix, look for Rahsaan Bahati. Grew up in the hood of LA, super nice guy and great bike racer.

If you are around Abbott Kinney on Sunday morning, look for the Guerilla Taco truck, its parked outside Blue Bottle coffee from 10-2. Wes Avila is considered to be one of the best chefs in LA and after working at some of the finest restaurants, he decided to go back to his roots and open a taco truck. Amazing high end food from a roach coach.

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 07-27-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Definitely second the Lyft (not Uber) recommendation versus renting a car, much more convenient, no parking woes, drink all you want, etc. You're better off taking a taxi from LAX though, the carpooling wait situation is seriously messed up.

If you want to check out DTLA consider taking the Expo line and other light rail; it's kind of novel for us natives, perhaps less so for visitors depending on where you're from.

If you want a good burger and great beer selection, check out Father's Office. You're spoiled for choice when it comes to food. Also second a visit to Abbot Kinney, not such a fan of the South Bay beaches myself.
The Expo line has a stop at the California Science Center right outside downtown LA. https://californiasciencecenter.org

Great exhibit going on their right now called Body Worlds Pulse and as a bonus, you can check out the space shuttle Endeavor up close and personal which is included with your admission. Really cool stuff!
Old 07-27-2017, 07:49 PM

yeah, you don't need the car.
i'll just add that since you have one event planned for each day, try not to get too far from the venue leading up to it. traffic can bite you any day of the week now, and especially friday/saturday evenings. so plan accordingly.

there's lots to do so you'll have to prioritize a bit. the getty's worth a visit, if for no other reason than the views and garden. i'm not much of an art guy, but that place is gorgeous. good food is plentiful, no need to cross town for a specific restaurant. weather should be warm this weekend, so you could just hit the beach and enjoy the sights.