Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2017, 11:56 AM

40 year old Rhode Island weekly summer TT shuts down

The long standing Stedeman's weekly TT series is shutting down. This weekly TT event has been going on for 40 years.

It's not because of fees, or USA Cycling or anything like that. It's because riders are getting hit by drivers. It's a TT - so there are no 2 abreast riders.

When I used to live in Providence I went to this event all the time and it was a low cost quality event.

Sad. Stay safe.

Last edited by godukes; 07-27-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Administrator

That's really too bad. The guys who back and run that are really good people.

William
Old 07-27-2017, 12:18 PM

Not surprised. The section on Rt 1 was, to use the term, an accident waiting to happen. Seeing this more and more locally with TT's. just too much risk / liability to put them on.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:56 PM

Another race bites the dust, that's frustrating.

Even on quiet roads, seems like more towns are deciding cyclists don't deserve to race. After all, some driver might be typing a very important text!
Old 07-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrank View Post
Another race bites the dust, that's frustrating.

Even on quiet roads, seems like more towns are deciding cyclists don't deserve to race. After all, some driver might be typing a very important text!

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drunk.jpg (38.9 KB, 282 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 02:45 PM

If you need your TT fix in Rhode Island there is/was one that began at the junction of "Crazy Corners" near the Scituate Resourvoir...Plainfield Pike, Rockland rd, and rt 12
Old 07-27-2017, 05:22 PM

These TT's used to be called the CTT's, Charlestown TT's. Many racers got their start there, including me in the 80's. That's a sad story but totally understandable, Rt 1 is really dangerous.

I'm very familiar with the Crazy Corners area. No way would I do a TT there.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:39 PM

My old stomping grounds, back when it was still more of a sleepy backwater. I still visit and ride down there on occasion. Some beautiful riding. I used to do the Stedman's group rides, though never did the TT. Sad to see this pass. It's just like everywhere. More and more cars.

Last edited by marciero; 07-27-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:45 PM

There's no reason you can't TT on your own. Create your own route and compete against your own times. Problem solved.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:53 PM

Absolute shame, I know that stretch of road pretty well having spent a lot of my youth going around RI playing in every rink that would schedule weekend morning games for crazy tykes. Actually surprised it lasted this long.

But real question, is there any way to plan TT's in some of the larger abandoned parking lots / industrial complexes that dot the entirety of New England? I know that the courses would be no more than 5 miles and would require maybe some sort of doubling back or inside and outside lines kind of like a golf course but that has to be preferable to completely abolishing the event altogether, right?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:13 PM

I used to do the 15k TT on Rt.1 with Everett Stedman and all the cool guys back in the early '80's, it was great fun! Sorry to hear it's ending.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 PM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Absolute shame, I know that stretch of road pretty well having spent a lot of my youth going around RI playing in every rink that would schedule weekend morning games for crazy tykes. Actually surprised it lasted this long.

But real question, is there any way to plan TT's in some of the larger abandoned parking lots / industrial complexes that dot the entirety of New England? I know that the courses would be no more than 5 miles and would require maybe some sort of doubling back or inside and outside lines kind of like a golf course but that has to be preferable to completely abolishing the event altogether, right?
Probably a less convoluted course than something that the Vuelta organizers would put together. It's a good idea I think.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:52 AM

I started racing at the CTT, too, in the early '80's. very sad it's gone, but the right call with today's traffic - and I do remember trying to draft busses even in the day.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:01 AM

There are a couple "team sponsored" TT's in the area, but they come and go depending on individual riders/champions. The Stedman's TT was the one that was always there. I used to ride it 20 years ago in High School. It's a shame Route 1 has become just a glorified highway. Too many cars doing 70+ mph along that route (50 mph limit.)

The Crazy Corners TT was run for a few years by the Tri-New England crew, and co-sponsored by Providence Bike. But that too, only lasted a few years. (Road construction mostly killed it.)

New England Masters Cycling Association still holds the Peter Murphy TT. Its course is just around the corner from the old Stedman's route, and uses all (okay, 99%) back roads.

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/charlest...route-31876068

This course is all right turns, but a couple of the intersections have stop signs. It's still not the safest...

I wish there were more around, particularly in northern RI or southern MA. It's just too densely populated to find really safe TT routes.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:09 AM

Well that truly sux

Too bad they could not set up a new course?