Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2016, 05:06 AM

scott foil team issue headset spacers

so i'm currently working on a scott foil team issue (black and green model) and i cannot get the headset to be tightened down.

here are some pictures of the situation: notice how you can see that the compression plug and steer tube are slightly above the stem
http://imgur.com/a/pd2xp

so right now i'm thinking i have 2 options
1. cut the steer tube about 1-2 mm to keep it lower than the stem which i think would not be a good idea because then there will be a part of the stem that will not fully bolt onto the steer tube

2. find a spacer that goes on top of the bars and onto the steer tube

3. find a syncros specific spacer that goes underneath the stem like the one pictured in the link: http://imgur.com/ymcxIT2

-if option 3 is the best bet then i'll need to figure out where i can purchase these spacers since i can't find them online.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:12 AM
Lanterne rouge

If it fits where it is I would trim the steer tube a bit. You need to have about 3mm below the stem to get things to set properly. Having the steer tube slightly below the top of the stem is generally a non issue.
Otherwise find the spacer to go under the stem. One on top in that application would not look right.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
. One on top in that application would not look right.
that's what i was thinking. it would take away from the aero look of the bike. it's strange how this happened though. bike was built up like this and suddenly there is an issue with the spacing of the whole headset area
Old 07-27-2017, 04:08 PM

Zombie thread revival!

We have a regular of ours with a Scott Foil with this same headset spacer situation. He bought it from another shop, and the headset has randomly decided to come loose a couple of times. I do not think there are enough spacers to get it tightened...

has anybody got a source for these? I may take one and see if I can find somebody to 3D print (or make via some other method) more. This one has like five little tiny 2mm spacers, and a 5 or so mm spacer...one big fat one would do the trick nicely....