Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
That anyone calling themselves a "cyclist" would need someone to fix their flat, let alone pay for the pleasure, is most assuredly another indication of the decline of the west. Brooks, where art thou?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jane and Joe Average on their hybrids don't call themselves "cyclists" and they probably don't replace a blown breaker or snake their toilet themselves. You, in your clippity-cloppy shoes and "spandex" would be referred to as a "biker" no doubt.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Jane and Joe Average on their hybrids don't call themselves "cyclists" and they probably don't replace a blown breaker or snake their toilet themselves. You, in your clippity-cloppy shoes and "spandex" would be referred to as a "biker" no doubt.

No, no, omg, a 'biker' wears a leather vest, funny chaps like he's a cowboy & can't control wrist to throttle spasms.

While your point is valid, possibly the mysteries of electrons & dealing with human excrement don't equate to basic tire repair?

Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
No, no, omg, a 'biker' wears a leather vest, funny chaps like he's a cowboy & can't control wrist to throttle spasms.

While your point is valid, possibly the mysteries of electrons & dealing with human excrement don't equate to basic tire repair?

In a way I agree with you, but think of this example: how many people who drive can actually replace a flat tire? I'd say the percentage is less than cyclists (or BIKERZZZ!) who could do the same procedure.

Maintenance as a part of modern living has gone the way of the dodo. Don't repair, replace!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 AM

You are missing the upside to "replace, not repair": another excuse for acquiring n+1
Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Pack fill

Performance

I head to Performance, they charge $7 each but when you buy 3 the 4th is free, just over $5 per tube.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:08 PM
D.Bordewisch

Shops have seen the erosion of margin on almost all items. Tubes have become a place where profit can be made. The OP scenario is one not uncommon. Suddenly one notices a large price increase for the same product in a short period of time. I can say rubber prices have climbed. Fifteen years ago Conti tubes on program could cost $.98 now it takes a bit to to get them under $2.50. Retail is changing so fast!
Old 07-26-2017, 01:22 PM

I've had new tubes in the box dry rot or split at the seams after a few years. How do you plan to keep your stash fresh? I wonder if putting them in the fridge would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
When pricepoint went belly up I bought 200 tubes for around $1 each. They arrived in 2 huge boxes. I've sold about 100 to friends (for what I paid) but still have about 4 lifetimes supply especially since I patch my tubes.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
I've had new tubes in the box dry rot or split at the seams after a few years. How do you plan to keep your stash fresh? I wonder if putting them in the fridge would help.
It is actually a concern since I live in Arizona. My wife would effing kill me if I replaced the organic kale smoothies with a gross of PricePoint tubes in the refrigerator.

I guess I'll take my chances or keep selling them on to friends.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:

POTD

One of these days, I'll pull a Costco and force myself to buy a multi-pack (10, 25 or 50) of tubes from Ribbles, Wigged Out or Gandalf. With the usual 10% off coupons, per tube prices should be under 3 ducats. I've mostly resisted because I learned from an Attorney employer to hold on to my money as long as metaphysically possible and cos $3 doesn't seem that cheap. Patching tubes is fun and just in time delivery for $7 is totally reasonable. Pay more to pay later; it's all good (and smart money in many cases).
Old 07-26-2017, 10:25 PM

From what you'll see at a local Xmart, the in-store LBS prices aren't all that much. There's always a better price from Giggle or whatever. The $8 - 10 prices people are talking about is what it takes to keep them on the shelf.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
It is actually a concern since I live in Arizona. My wife would effing kill me if I replaced the organic kale smoothies with a gross of PricePoint tubes in the refrigerator.

I guess I'll take my chances or keep selling them on to friends.
Butyl tubes are pretty robust, basic care should see them last a long time.
To play it safe you can vacuum seal, store indoors. Avoid high temps, ozone, UV, exposure to solvents/oils etc... Latex tubes much more sensitive to these.

I uncovered a box of old bike items recently and found tubes that are well over ten years old and had been stored in my AZ garage for several years. Checked a couple of the tubes and they were surprisingly good.

Many times over past few years I've been thinking it seems general tube quality is worse. Maybe quality less important because there's not much recourse if you have a bad tube, short of failure upon initial install, what are you going to do, take it back? So mfrs make more garbage and sell more anyhow?
The michelins and Victoria's both have been good to me.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 AM

I wonder how many people don't patch their tubes? A lot of money can be saved there. I wouldn't buy a no name tube. Better to spend a little more on a relatively low cost item because your safety is at stake. No more latex tubes for me either. I've had them rot out in just over a year just sitting folded up in the closet.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I wonder how many people don't patch their tubes? A lot of money can be saved there. I wouldn't buy a no name tube. Better to spend a little more on a relatively low cost item because your safety is at stake. No more latex tubes for me either. I've had them rot out in just over a year just sitting folded up in the closet.
From what I can tell and have gleaned from industry people, there are a handful of factories producing all the butyl tubes and not much more to distinguish the tubes themselves other than "regular" or "superlight".
Old 07-27-2017, 10:27 AM

Tubes are one of a bike shops biggest margins. For a couple flats a year, I will buy from them @ 8 per.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:37 PM

I sympathize with bike shops, I do; I know that with their cost of goods and expense structure --not limited to but most notably real estate-- they're not making any more selling something at $2x than a large internet dealer is at $x. Gross margin, maybe. Net? Nuh-uh.

And theoretically they are an asset, offering service, advice, immediate gratification, sponsoring rides, etc.

But I don't need their mechanical help, I ride alone or with a few friends, and --at least where I live-- their offerings are so limited and vanilla that there's sort of no reason to visit; they almost certainly won't have what I'm looking for in the first place and it doesn't make for interesting browsing in the second. I guess I could buy tubes there, but I'm never out and when I get low I can have them delivered to my door tomorrow without getting off my lazy ass. And have more options. For less.

What I won't/don't do, is go to a shop to see and try something in person with no intent to buy and then after wasting their time, buy it online for less. Fortunately, this bit of ethical scrupulosity comes at almost no cost; if you're not looking for Trek, Cannondale, or Bontrager, you're SOL anyway.

Other than that, like I say, I sympathize, but...