Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummygooey View Post
I had one of the older versions of the Titanico X in TruLeather from last spring's sale. Loved it. I put 3000 miles on it, until it got stolen two weeks ago off my bike. I went straight to the manufacturer's website and bought another "X Series".

FWIW I'm 145lbs and still chose the X. I read a lot of reports of sub-160lb riders maxing out their adjustment limits on the T, which I didn't want to have to deal with. Seems fine for me.

But yes, it's really heavy. I'm alright with heavy if it means 300k's or fire service roads without discomfort.
Hmm, well why do they have to be "really heavy"? I would think if they have enough money for R&D that they could go to Ti or Carbon rails and maybe pare another ounce or so for the adjustment bolt, etc. Or how about replacing the metal piece in the back with nylon or nylon impregnated with carbon? I'm thinking that taking off a few ounces just might enlarge their market a bit. Or, one of the other guys might beat them to the punch.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 PM

I've been thru several saddles in the last year looking for the "one". My current saddle and the best I've tried is a specialized chicane in 168mm. Wanna try the Selle Anatomica but which model to choose. I'm 6'1" and 220lb ready to ride and holding steady even after a 4000 mile year, 49 years old. Thinking NSX in tru leather..?? Really concerned about the saddle stretching out to far.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:34 PM

Twors,
Just give them a call. The were very friendly and helpful to me.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 PM

I've had the older model for five years or so

I use mine constantly on my rain bike/commuter. It's one of the only saddles I've ridden that's truly comfortable in both street clothes and riding gear. However, I found the saddle can get a bit wide at the thighs if it's overtensioned and you're wearing chamois so watch out for that. Also, there has been some sag over time (I weight around 150 lbs).

That said, I've seen the newer saddles and they are narrower and the leather is thicker, which should help with both issues. I think I paid ~ $150 for mine back in the day. For $99 it's a steal.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbrook View Post
I use mine constantly on my rain bike/commuter. It's one of the only saddles I've ridden that's truly comfortable in both street clothes and riding gear. However, I found the saddle can get a bit wide at the thighs if it's overtensioned and you're wearing chamois so watch out for that. Also, there has been some sag over time (I weight around 150 lbs).

That said, I've seen the newer saddles and they are narrower and the leather is thicker, which should help with both issues. I think I paid ~ $150 for mine back in the day. For $99 it's a steal.
When they sag, isn't the tension screw enough to pull it tight again?
Old 11-19-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
When they sag, isn't the tension screw enough to pull it tight again?
It has been so far, but eventually I imagine it will hit a point when I can no longer tension it.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbrook View Post
It has been so far, but eventually I imagine it will hit a point when I can no longer tension it.
I"ve read the new models have a screw that is 10mm longer.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 PM
caffeine fueled

X Series Watershed on a steel bike, I weigh ~170lb. Used on the 180K D2R2 the last 2 years. Very comfortable.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 PM

if a leather saddle is too wide for your (massive?) thighs try drilling holes in the side skirts and pulling them in with laces. I have done this to some of my Brooks when they seemed a bit wider than usual. I use zip ties but laces are the classic technique.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 AM

I ordered mine today. I got the Watershed Black with copper but in the NSX. I like the style without the cutout.

Looking forward to trying it.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 11-29-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I ordered mine today. I got the Watershed Black with copper but in the NSX. I like the styler without the cutout.

Looking forward to trying it.
I broke down and ordered another Watershed Black X but in Gunmetal rivets. You are not going to find a more comfortable leather saddle at any price.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:39 PM

I just ordered one also. Black. I've been OK on my Terry Fly's for a while, but my legs can do a longer ride than my butt. 50 miles is about all butt can take, and that's every other day. So we'll see. Can't go to wrong. $99 plus free shipping. Hoping to be able to ride more days per week.

Also tried a Dynamic SMP for a while. Adjusted it about every way. It was OK, but didn't feel a lot different than my Terry Fly's. I could live with one OK, especially the ones with a little more padding, Pro or 209 Lite. Just think they are a lot of money for small improvement over what I have.

BTW....Not concerned about weight either. Besides....am on a campaign to get back to 150 from 158. That will take care of the extra weight.

Last edited by Ralph; 11-29-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I just ordered one also. Black. I've been OK on my Terry Fly's for a while, but my legs can do a longer ride than my butt. 50 miles is about all butt can take, and that's every other day. So we'll see. Can't go to wrong. $99 plus free shipping. Hoping to be able to ride more days per week.

Also tried a Dynamic SMP for a while. Adjusted it about every way. It was OK, but didn't feel a lot different than my Terry Fly's. I could live with one OK, especially the ones with a little more padding, Pro or 209 Lite. Just think they are a lot of money for small improvement over what I have.

BTW....Not concerned about weight either. Besides....am on a campaign to get back to 150 from 158. That will take care of the extra weight.

yeah I see why your not concerned about the weight