Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDSeattle View Post
?? Why bother following this thread, or adding this comment?
Are you going to reply to every ad on the classified saying "I will not buy this?"

Silly.

I'd love to try one of these bikes. The earlier LeMond bikes that I had a chance to try were good machines.

New Steel Bike from LeMond!
This is the thread, right?
Sounds to me like they want to know what people think of it. So in your world only folks that like something can tell us why they do?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDSeattle View Post
naw, that is not it... it looks weird because the top tube is not level.
and because the line of the fork isn't parallel to the line of the head tube. Unless you've grown up thinking things like that are "normal," it looks weird and wrong from almost every angle.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
and because the line of the fork isn't parallel to the line of the head tube. Unless you've grown up thinking things like that are "normal," it looks weird and wrong from almost every angle.
You must expand your horizons my son. Change is ok do not be afraid
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 AM

Does anyone have any idea who is building the frames? Given how many mouths need to be fed in order to get these out the door at $1,800, the builder has to be making them for what, $1K? What builder in the US can manage that?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 AM

I like the colors combo a lot. I am vain I guess.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:35 AM

I have no experience with the Lemonds of yore, but it looks like a solid deal to me. Is PF30 really that bad?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengage View Post
I have no experience with the Lemonds of yore, but it looks like a solid deal to me. Is PF30 really that bad?
Here's a lengthy discussion on Weight Weenies about PF30 BB issues...
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...hp?f=3&t=93006

According to a mechanic friend, the issues he has seen are creaking and the plastic sleeve breaking.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengage View Post
I don't think that PF-30 is "so bad." I think the Campy cups for PF-30 are pretty bad, they are much too shallow to properly seat and thus have a tendency to creak. Most folks who install with the recommended loctite seem to not have problems, and the deeper seated cups (like the Parlee cups, which I am using) also seem to have fewer complaints. For Shimano and SRAM, the Praxis PF-30 BB is supposed to resolve creaking. I loctited in the Parlee cups on my Firefly and have had no creaking at all. Obviously the frame is ti, not carbon, which may also help minimize creaking (not my argument, just something I read in one of these threads as I was deciding whether or not to buy the frame with the PF-30 BB). If metal has a benefit over carbon, than I assume the steel BB would also benefit. I'm a big guy (220+, 6'3") and I've had no trouble at all with my PF-30 BB. Obviously, your results may vary.

To the original point of the thread, I think this is a pretty good looking modern steel bike. I hope GL does well by this deal. He was so screwed by Armstrong/Trek. It's nice to see his image recover recently, I hope that translates into bike sales. I also wonder who is making there frames for him.

Last edited by DRZRM; 08-15-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
I don't think that PF-30 is "so bad." I think the Campy cups for PF-30 are pretty bad, they are much too shallow to properly seat and thus have a tendency to creak. Most folks who install with the recommended loctite seem to not have problems, and the deeper seated cups (like the Parlee cups, which I am using) also seem to have fewer complaints. For Shimano and SRAM, the Praxis PF-30 BB is supposed to resolve creaking. I loctited in the Parlee cups on my Firefly and have had no creaking at all. Obviously the frame is ti, not carbon, which may also help minimize creaking (not my argument, just something I read in one of these threads as I was deciding whether or not to buy the frame with the PF-30 BB). If metal has a benefit over carbon, than I assume the steel BB would also benefit. I'm a big guy (220+, 6'3") and I've had no trouble at all with my PF-30 BB. Obviously, your results may vary.

To the original point of the thread, I think this is a pretty good looking modern steel bike. I hope GL does well by this deal. He was so screwed by Armstrong/Trek. It's nice to see his image recover recently, I hope that translates into bike sales. I also wonder who is making there frames for him.
One rumor I heard. Zen Bicycle Fabrication
http://www.zenbicyclefabrication.com...brication.html
Old 08-15-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
This ^
I wouldn't even go as far as "generally OK"
full PASS
Quote:
Since you asked...
The fork, oversized HT/BB and utilitarian tig welded frame.
In fact, there is nothing for me to like.
Quote:
Well then I still qualify on 2 of the 3 points.
Still nothing for me to like here.

Quote:
This is the thread, right?
Sounds to me like they want to know what people think of it. So in your world only folks that like something can tell us why they do?
Naw... in my world you only need to tell me once that you pass and why... You're making a real contribution here

I'll borrow a phrase... I'm talking a "full PASS" on any more discussion on this point.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Why is taking the time to have each size built with its own tubeset butted for size-specific performance, and then slap the same damn fork rake on everything?! For those of us riding small bikes (and probably for folks at the top of the size spectrum, too), the result is wonky trail numbers, which will show in the handling.

I guess I would have expected more.

Edit: I see he's using a tapered Enve fork, which only comes in 43. Disappointing to think he chose his parts first, then built the bike around those choices. I calculate the trail on his size 49 to be 65mm. That's a long cry from where most builders shoot for.

Last edited by FastforaSlowGuy; 08-15-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:59 PM

I'm riding an enve 1.0 (same clearance as 2.0) with Hutchinson Sector 28s. Room to spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
The description reads "The frame and fork accommodate up to 28c tires." For anyone familiar with an Enve 2.0 that's "up to, not including" 28s.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Happy Hourist

I'm hearing Zen Fabrication for the build - and the pricing makes sense if that's the case.

And I'm using a PF30 BB on two steel frame, with zero problems, ymmv.

Rumor has it that Enve is coming out with a 50mm rake tapered fork, fingers crossed here.

I think it's great that Lemond is doing a steel frame, hope he does a lugged version for the old-timers. Haters gotta hate, of course, but I wish him nothing but the best on this project.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I'm riding an enve 1.0 (same clearance as 2.0) with Hutchinson Sector 28s. Room to spare.
And your Sectors measure a true 28mm tall ? I was unaware there was that much variation fork to fork.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampco View Post
Rumor has it that Enve is coming out with a 50mm rake tapered fork, fingers crossed here.
This would make me very happy, and would make Lemond's 49cm just about perfect. It's a very thoughtfully designed (and snazzy looking) bike, right up to the fork rake/trail choices.