Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 AM

Any experience with Powergrip pedal straps?

Greetings Paceliners.

Have any of you fine fellows (or ladies) used the Powergrip pedal straps before? If so, what did you think?

I'm thinking about picking up a set of the straps for my around-town bike and would love to hear any experiences that you've had.

Thanks!

Texbike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powergrips-pedal-straps.jpg (36.4 KB, 167 views)
Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Greetings Paceliners.

Have any of you fine fellows (or ladies) used the Powergrip pedal straps before? If so, what did you think?

I'm thinking about picking up a set of the straps for my around-town bike and would love to hear any experiences that you've had.

Thanks!

Texbike
Sold some, turn foot, slid in, turn foot inboard(heel in). Works for some, some say made ankle/knee kinda sore.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Sold some, turn foot, slid in, turn foot inboard(heel in). Works for some, some say made ankle/knee kinda sore.
That was my experience when I first tried them (about 15 years ago). To get any foot retention from the straps, you have to actively apply an inward twisting force at the ankle. That's not a problem for a short duration, but for rides of any meaningful length my ankle twisting muscles got tires and sore. I finally gave up and got some walkable clipless shoes/pedals.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 AM

how about traditional clips and straps or half clips from velo orange or these which i just noticed

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...ot-straps.html
Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 AM

My experience with them is that they are just as bad as normal pedal/cage combos. That said, I rode cages for about 4 years before I started riding clipless.

Go clipless. They're better in every way. If you need something where you can also ride in a normal shoe, consider something like Shimano M324's, where one side is a clip and the other is a platform.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the responses. I was interested in the Powergrips so that I wouldn't have to use a cycling-specific shoe. Maybe I'll just put a set of big, platform pedals on it and call it a day.

Texbike
Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 AM
That guy..

http://www.ynotcycle.com/products/pedalstrap/ (get these, or this kind)

had the pedal straps you asked about. they felt weird, were uncomfortable and really ugly.

plus they require a tool to adjust if your shoe or boot is too big or too small.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 AM
n - 1

I have some DIY Powergrips on my rando bike. Just a couple 1" straps of leather bolted to the pedals. I like it a lot. Especially when I head out for mixed terrain rides, helps keep my feet on the pedals on sketchy descents. I have them somewhat loose so that my feet do have some wiggle room, but tight enough to keep them from falling off.

Another type of pedals/straps to look into is something like these Fyxations. Nice and wide foot straps, easily adjustable if you're wearing different kind of shoes, etc. You can also get some real cheap straps for your existing pedals on ebay (from China).

All that said, if this will just be a townie bike, I'd probably just get a nice set of flat pedals.

Last edited by p nut; 03-31-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I was interested in the Powergrips so that I wouldn't have to use a cycling-specific shoe. Maybe I'll just put a set of big, platform pedals on it and call it a day.

Texbike
That's what I do. Big platforms with little spike studs work great. In fact that's all I ride on my mountain bike these days, with a 5/10 shoe. But on my townie I've got some platforms that are perfect for the job.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Greetings Paceliners.

Thanks!

Texbike
My wife used them on an old mountain bike before she got used to clipless. I wasn't impressed.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Texbike
This flat pedal only idea works well for me on several bikes. For best results wear shoes with rubber soles that are not too knobby. My favorites are boat shoes like, but not limited to, Topsiders. They allow me to start pushing forward on the pedals well before top-dead-center. If the soles have big knobs they may lock your foot into only a few positions and they may be uncomfortable. I make these comments about the shoe/pedal interface using MKS Touring pedals or some that are similar. It might not be a problem if you use pedals like Grip Kings" as sold by Rivendell.

I tried a few rides with the straps you asked aboutand I think you can find an adjustment where there is some retention but steady inward pressure is not required but that adjustment would be so critical that it would only be ideal for one pair of shoes due to variations in the dimensions of different shoe models.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:25 AM

I ride with a hipster that uses them with platform pedals on a fixie and is very happy. That said, they don't really allow you to pull up all that much. More about just having you foot not slip off.

I have found that true platform pedals (Crank Brother 5050) work fine without them. I few rides to get use to not being clipped is required along with some flat, thin, soft sole shoes. I use some shoes by Tevo just because I like to be stylish but Vans, Stans or Chucks work great. Boat shoes will work but ATMO I prefer something that I can tie snug and not look like a doofus with socks on.

Last edited by mg2ride; 03-31-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: the r key is next to the e key
Old 03-31-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
stylish but Vans, Stans or Chucks work great. Boat shoes will work but ATMO I prefer something that I can tie snug and not look like a doofus with socks on.
Hey, I can lace boat shoes plenty tight. To me at my age a guy wearing boat shoes looks like he may have just stepped off his yacht while a guy wearing Vans or Chucks looks like he lost his skateboard. I prefer the former.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM
n - 1

I sometimes wear Giro Rumble shoes, which double nicely as casual shoes, but with SPD compatibility. Somewhat stiff soles, but unless you're doing a walk-a-thon, they're not bad at all. They also make some classy leather ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIC! Stratton View Post
...consider something like Shimano M324's, where one side is a clip and the other is a platform.

I've got a pair of these that I will gladly trade for some M540 pedals, if anyone's interested.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:11 PM

I tried them and they did not work for me. But, that was just my experience.

When I use flat pedals I like big chunky flats. I like the 45Nrth Heiruspecs. http://robonza.blogspot.com/2013/01/...cs-pedals.html

-Joe