Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2015, 09:56 AM

Mark Knopfler is among us

I had an interview this morning at the BBC, and I was a bit early. I walked around the block and there’s a bicycle shop there. And I just started looking at these bicycles, and then I thought, What am I doing? I already have a bicycle. But I like bicycles. That’s what I’m doing. They’re beautiful bicycles. It’s obviously a cracking shop. And I’m just standing there, edging around this window, just the way I would in a guitar shop or a motorcycle shop. And it’s because I like them. I’ve always liked bicycles, and I’ll probably go on liking bicycles. I actually bought an old Colnago recently, an Italian racing bike — not because I can ride it, but just because it’s an object of such beauty. I’m afraid I can’t do justice to an old road-racing bike, and it’ll probably end up going to someone who can ride it properly. But it has this lovely steel frame, just a beautiful thing.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/28/mark...99t_for_wimps/
http://reno-rambler.blogspot.com/201...ty-and-n1.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag

Last edited by eddief; 03-30-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:02 AM

I bet he still gets his chicks for free too!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Cool.

About as sad a song you'll find about a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6nyfXu5fWs
Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

I have tickets to see him at Red Rocks this summer. I wish I knew how to drop him an email and see if he is up for a ride.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
I have tickets to see him at Red Rocks this summer. I wish I knew how to drop him an email and see if he is up for a ride.
Try sending a letter here: http://www.fanmail.biz/64816.html

Or tweeting @ him here: https://twitter.com/markknopfler

...you never know.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I had an interview this morning at the BBC, and I was a bit early. I walked around the block and there’s a bicycle shop there. And I just started looking at these bicycles, and then I thought, What am I doing? I already have a bicycle. But I like bicycles. That’s what I’m doing. They’re beautiful bicycles. It’s obviously a cracking shop. And I’m just standing there, edging around this window, just the way I would in a guitar shop or a motorcycle shop. And it’s because I like them. I’ve always liked bicycles, and I’ll probably go on liking bicycles. I actually bought an old Colnago recently, an Italian racing bike — not because I can ride it, but just because it’s an object of such beauty. I’m afraid I can’t do justice to an old road-racing bike, and it’ll probably end up going to someone who can ride it properly. But it has this lovely steel frame, just a beautiful thing.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/28/mark...99t_for_wimps/
http://reno-rambler.blogspot.com/201...ty-and-n1.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag
I think it's funny that one of your bikes is called "Privateer"
Old 03-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
I think it's funny that one of your bikes is called "Privateer"
Just to clarify, that quote is MK talking, not Eddie.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:10 PM

I know that.

The post is about Mark Knopfler whose most recent album, but one, is called Privateer,

The OP posting about Mark Knopfler has a bike called the Privateer.

A sort of synchronicity.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM

i forgot my bike

was the name of one of his albums. He is one of all time faves ever.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:07 PM

Knopfler is something special. I never seem to tire of his clever writing and distinctive phrasing...and he just keeps getting better. I look forward to giving his new stuff a spin.

I didn't know he was a cyclist. Great idea Bradford...you'll have to let us know if he responds to your offer. Appreciate the heads-up eddief.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:40 PM

Handful of years ago he was playing NYC Summerstage while I was just starting to do laps in Central Park (it was in the evening). When I heard the music upon passing, I bailed on the ride, plopping myself down on the grass across from the stage and heard myself an awesome, awesome show. What an absolutely perfect NYC summer night that was. Hearing brothers in arms played, the guitar solos echoing into the night against that backdrop--just spectacular.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Handful of years ago he was playing NYC Summerstage while I was just starting to do laps in Central Park (it was in the evening). When I heard the music upon passing, I bailed on the ride, plopping myself down on the grass across from the stage and heard myself an awesome, awesome show. What an absolutely perfect NYC summer night that was. Hearing brothers in arms played, the guitar solos echoing into the night against that backdrop--just spectacular.

William
Attached Images
File Type: png LikeBike.png (45.9 KB, 326 views)
Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 PM

Never EVER forget the first time I heard Sultans of Swing come on the radio back in '78. Who the hell is THAT!?!?! Some new band called Dire Straits. I was playing a lot of guitar, really badly, in those days. A few months after I first heard (and immediately bought) that album, I was hanging out in a music store in downtown Tucson checking out used guitars. A friend and I were doing an absolutely horrible job of trying to pick out bits and pieces of that solo when some guy walked up, grabbed a Telecaster off the wall, and played the entire song, note perfect, finger-style with rhythm, leads, the whole bit. Man, was THAT humbling. Just some anonymous guy. No amp either, but it still sounded incredible...

The new album is great - really mellow but incredible stuff. I've been streaming it non-stop for the past week or two (don't remember if it was last Tuesday or the week before when it was available). Cool that he's a cyclist. Doubly cool that we're singing the praises of this guy while he's still making great music instead of some RIP thread after he's gone...

-Ray
Old 03-30-2015, 06:56 PM

certain things draw certain people...

out of the woodwork. Yea Ray.

I am particularly fond of his stuff with Chet and Emily Lou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Never EVER forget the first time I heard Sultans of Swing come on the radio back in '78. Who the hell is THAT!?!?! Some new band called Dire Straits. I was playing a lot of guitar, really badly, in those days. A few months after I first heard (and immediately bought) that album, I was hanging out in a music store in downtown Tucson checking out used guitars. A friend and I were doing an absolutely horrible job of trying to pick out bits and pieces of that solo when some guy walked up, grabbed a Telecaster off the wall, and played the entire song, note perfect, finger-style with rhythm, leads, the whole bit. Man, was THAT humbling. Just some anonymous guy. No amp either, but it still sounded incredible...

The new album is great - really mellow but incredible stuff. I've been streaming it non-stop for the past week or two (don't remember if it was last Tuesday or the week before when it was available). Cool that he's a cyclist. Doubly cool that we're singing the praises of this guy while he's still making great music instead of some RIP thread after he's gone...

-Ray
Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
out of the woodwork. Yea Ray.

I am particularly fond of his stuff with Chet and Emily Lou.
All the Roadrunning is a fantastic album. Absolutely fantastic. Great for on the rollers.