Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Honey Stinger waffles, those rice things. I wonder if part of your issue, other than IBS, is waiting too long to eat anything, and then eating too much.
I tend to eat a lot the night before, and then a normal portion before the ride. But to be honest I probably wait too long on the ride to refuel. When I do feel my energy draining I really pace my self with the cliff bars, I usually eat them in thirds as maybe every 30 mins. But I'm really carefule about eating too much out on the road at once.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:38 AM

The reason many of us eat fig bars (I prefer Fig Newtons) is because the nutrition make up is very similar to a Power Bar or Clif bar, plus they have sodium. Not sure about how much sodium in most energy bars. And my wife buys then 2 for 1 boxes at grocery store, 2 bars to a package, so I can eat one of the bars at a time, that make fig bars cheap. They don't bother my stomach. And I eat and drink a little all the time on a hard ride.

Not everyone likes them.

BTW.....studies have show that for a time trial team, where they have plenty of endurance and reserves to go flat out for a hour or so on just water, they go faster on a sugar water of some type drinking from the start. That's main reason I drink Gatorade and not water on ride. But I carry two large bottles on bike, drink a weak mix in one, stronger mix maybe in second bottle. Depends.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green10speed View Post
I tend to eat a lot the night before, and then a normal portion before the ride. But to be honest I probably wait too long on the ride to refuel. When I do feel my energy draining I really pace my self with the cliff bars, I usually eat them in thirds as maybe every 30 mins. But I'm really carefule about eating too much out on the road at once.
I think that's your problem. I eat by the clock, not wait until I am hungry. By the end of the ride or race I am deep in the calorie deficit hole but I had the energy to finish and I won't be hungry for quite a while.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:39 PM

Coach John Hughes has some great info on long distance riding, nutrition, training etc. Very different than what you do for racing. Check out his website.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:55 PM

I agree with ShovelHD, I eat by the clock.....every 15-20 min, take a little nibble (50-100 cals, depending on intensity, your BW,etc) and a sip or two of water. Its much easier to digest this way (instead of onebig bolus) and keeps your blood sugar at more even levels.

But yes, don't make any huge changes for tomorrow, its a little too late to experiment. Just trying eating a little less overall and spread them out into smaller portions over time. Best of luck!
Old 03-28-2015, 04:55 PM

that's a super fun ride let us know how it went. I'll echo what everyone else has said, it sounds like a lot of food. I thought it was more like 7.5k but i don't have a garmin.

Everyone is different but this is what I do: A couple bottles of (insert sugary salty drink here) and (insert a whole bag of your favorite gummy candy here). I'll fill up with regular water eventually, sometimes I'll try to leave each bottle with half of whatever sugar drink I put in there and the second round will be diluted.

By the time we stop for lunch I have a sandwich I brought, nuts and chips maybe another banana or apple. If we do mt wilson and the cafe is open i'll have a coffee too. Usually when I get home is when I cram food after a ride like that.

Last edited by cinema; 03-28-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
that's a super fun ride let us know how it went. I'll echo what everyone else has said, it sounds like a lot of food. I thought it was more like 7.5k but i don't have a garmin.

Everyone is different but this is what I do: A couple bottles of (insert sugary salty drink here) and (insert a whole bag of your favorite gummy candy here). I'll fill up with regular water eventually, sometimes I'll try to leave each bottle with half of whatever sugar drink I put in there and the second round will be diluted.

By the time we stop for lunch I have a sandwich I brought, nuts and chips maybe another banana or apple. If we do mt wilson and the cafe is open i'll have a coffee too. Usually when I get home is when I cram food after a ride like that.
Sounds good to me.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Appreciate the feedback guys. I took your advice and scaled back my intake. I ate steak (carne asada) & eggs for breakfast. One clif bar, a pack of shot blocks, one Power gel and some fruit (banana & oranges) the whole ride. For hydration was lots of water and a bottle & 1/2 of Hammer perpetuim with a total of 6 scopes.

There where over 20 riders that started from Encanto Park in Duarte. Me & two other guys meet the group at foothills of the mountain. Since it was more convenient for us to ride there than drive to Duarte. Due to time constraints (wife working that day) I and another guy were going to ride till 1pm and then turn around and ride home. The rest of the group would continue to Hwy 39, descend to Crystal Lake and end up in Encanto Park. By the time we gathered at La Canada is was later than what I wanted to start climbing. The sun was up and temperature rising quick. I made it to Red Box before it got really hot in the lower elevation. Also received some PR in Strava from Clear Creek to Red Box. This section always giving me problems and the need to stop for a break. Yesterday I was able to complete the section nonstop. Went as far as Charlton Flats elevation 5,300, total elevation depending on who you believe Garmin 6,800 and Strava 8,000. For bragging rights I’m going with Strava

[IMG]VIRB0150 by ntrodriguez, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Just chiming in after the fact.

I'm someone that does the 'gel thing' because I find them super convenient and I like to ride light. Two or three gels are easier logistically than the equivalent cals/sugars in fruit.

When doing the 'standard' 4-5 hour weekend ride in mild weather I'll skip breakfast, have a coffee and maybe a couple of gels during the ride. I'll typically carry a 750ml bidon and fill it up maybe once. If it's hot (30+ celcius / 85+ farenheit) then it might end up getting filled up 3 or 4 times.

If its a stronger pace or more challenging ride then I will take extra gels and perhaps some dates. I'll carry a second bidon, mixed up a really strong Gatorade or similar and sip at it, refilling it along the way to dilute the mix.

On rides sub-8 hour I have no concern for protein or fat and focus on consuming sugars during the ride. This seems to work well.

I find that personally my limit for gel intake in a day is around eight to ten gels. It gets you feeling pretty seedy in the belly - not like you need to go to the toilet or throw up - it just doesn't feel good.

It's not enjoyable being at the end of a 12-15 hour ride, completely faded and not wanting to eat cause you feel sick!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:17 PM

I use Peanut Butter and Jam sandwiches or maybe Turkey and Cheese.

Wax paper and tinfoil.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 PM

Nice did you check out charlton flats? beautiful area
Old 03-30-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
I use Peanut Butter and Jam sandwiches or maybe Turkey and Cheese.

Wax paper and tinfoil.
oh forgot to mention that i also had pb&j on the ride.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Nice did you check out charlton flats? beautiful area
Didn't get a chance had to get back home. But I've been there on several snow trips when i was a kid.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM

So how did the scaled back intake feel? Better? Worse?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM

Just a note on the Perpetuem - what you're drinking out of your calorie bottle should not be counted as a full bottle of hydration. You need to stay up on hydration if you're drinking calories. I prefer Carbopro to Perpetuem - which makes everyone I know gassy. Just add Skratch to taste.

For on the bike nutrition for rides less than 72 hours, don't worry about protein or fat. Deal with that before and after. For the 508, it's all we counted. Regardless of what the paleo types will say, it's doubtful you can convert fat eaten during the ride.