Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2015, 02:58 PM

Nutrition during ride

I have an all day ride tomorrow that's mostly climbing (88 miles, 10k climbing), Angeles crest to hwy 39 for folks that know the area. I've been training, Mt Wilson, Mt Baldy (village), GRM, LA to SB. I'm a big guy, ok I'm fat (slow climber also) and burn 5k -7k calories on the rides.I try to eat something every 20 -30 minutes, cliff bars mostly. usually after the 5th cliff bar, I have a hard time eating anymore. i do mix it up with shot blocks, a banana, glu shots. What's the best bang for the body to infuse calories/energy?

I've switched to hammered perpetuem for long rides and cramping on the rides is rare unless its really hot. Which tomorrow should be. I reread the label and according to it i should be putting 10 scopes in my bottle, does that sound right? I've been putting 2 scopes at each refill.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:09 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Well, don't change anything for tomorrow. You don't know how your system would react to a change on a ride that you obviously deem is important enough to think about an entire day in advance, i.e. isn't simply riding along.

For Day after-tomorrow: 5 clif bars on a ride sounds very x 5 bad in every possible way, to me. I'm one of those water or at most (water+electrolyte tabs) guys when it comes to hydration, and for on-bike food I go for Pemmican bars/Belvita biscuits. I operate on a simple policy: If I won't have the stuff off-the-bike, I'm not stuffing myself with the stuff on-the-bike either.

Last edited by slidey; 03-27-2015 at 03:25 PM. Reason: 'cause typing somple was simpler than simple, apparently
Old 03-27-2015, 03:13 PM

I'm with slidey. Don't change for tomorrow but that is way too much intake. Your system is overloaded processing food and can't focus on exercise. I'm a highly trained racer, but doing long rides I have a solid, protein rich breakfast and then don't eat anything until hour two. At that point I will have a 100 calorie gel every hour. Heavy protein afterwards.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:33 PM

Most tourist cyclists do ok on 250 - 350
Cal per hour doing rides like this. You are on the high end of this recommendation.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:05 PM
kg

The good people at Clif thank you for keeping them in the black. On the other hand, that's a whole lotta Clif on one ride. Each one is circa 240 cals and 10g of protein. I'm a smaller guy but when I burn 3500-4k cals on a ride, it's with one and maybe two Clifs and, if there's intensity, perhaps a Gu or a few gummies.

Do you have a sense of whether your body needs the carbs in the Clifs or the protein? My under educated guess is that it's the carbs and you may be getting bogged down trying to digest the protein.

I'm sure someone with a broader perspective than mine will chime in, but I would be tempted to experiment by keeping the carb intake as high as it is and diminishing (not removing) the amount of protein.

Also, for a change of pace, you could try Alan Lim'a rice bars. I know lots of guys who love them. They do take a bit of time to prepare but might be easier on the system than a bar.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 PM

10 scoops??? You'd almost have to chew that!! Is that a gel recipe?

It sounds like way too much food to me.

88 miles is what? 5 hours?? It sounds like you are ingesting 600-700ish calories per hour unless I'm misunderstanding you. Look up what a typical digestive system can handle. It's way less than that. All the excess is getting stored in your stomach, slowing you down and making you feel bad.

I would eat what you are used to for tomorrow, just a little less of it. Don't forget good ol' H2O. It's what makes the rest of the calories work.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:35 PM

I don't know how fit you are, or how strong. Some folks can ride 88 hard miles like it's nothing. Some lack conditioning and reserves, so have to constantly fuel after about 30 minutes or so. Also don't know how hot the ride will be, or how much you will perspire. However....after your reserves are used up....you ride on mostly sugar...from some kind of food or drink in some form. Also...don't overlook the need for salt. Dr Mirkin, a sports Doc and nutrionist, talks about the importance of not letting your sodium deplete. Like some have said above, I wouldn't try much new on that ride. On a ride like that, especially if very hot, I mostly ride on weak diluted GatorAid and Fig bars (fig bars contain sodium). Salty chips for some salt, and maybe a Snickers bar if i get tired of fig bars. Sugar water goes into your system much faster than a sugar food, so keep the fluid intake up. Also will drink some regular water, maybe. Or maybe just diluted about half strength GatorAid. But none of that bothers my stomach in amounts I would eat. If eating 250 calorie cliff bars, would probably only eat 1/2 at a time. Riding long rides here in Florida heat and humidity, I deal with this a lot. How I eat and drink has a big effect on how I feel after a ride. (BTW....eating some salty chips, or anything salty, after 4-5 hours in 90 degree heat, really helps) If it's really hot, sports drinks don't contain enough salt to replace what you lose in sweat. if they did they would taste like sea water, and you wouldn't buy/drink them. And another BTW....my research on sports drinks is there isn't much difference in them, or enough to matter. So I just go cheap....powered Gatoraid about half strength. Anyway....drink the one you like.

http://drmirkin.com/public/ezine050210.html

Last edited by Ralph; 03-27-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidey View Post
Well, don't change anything for tomorrow. You don't know how your system would react to a change on a ride that you obviously deem is important enough to think about an entire day in advance, i.e. isn't simply riding along.

For Day after-tomorrow: 5 clif bars on a ride sounds very x 5 bad in every possible way, to me. I'm one of those water or at most (water+electrolyte tabs) guys when it comes to hydration, and for on-bike food I go for Pemmican bars/Belvita biscuits. I operate on a simple policy: If I won't have the stuff off-the-bike, I'm not stuffing myself with the stuff on-the-bike either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
I'm with slidey. Don't change for tomorrow but that is way too much intake. Your system is overloaded processing food and can't focus on exercise. I'm a highly trained racer, but doing long rides I have a solid, protein rich breakfast and then don't eat anything until hour two. At that point I will have a 100 calorie gel every hour. Heavy protein afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Most tourist cyclists do ok on 250 - 350
Cal per hour doing rides like this. You are on the high end of this recommendation.
Wow looks like I've been doing it all wrong and appreciate the input.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:59 PM

If I had 5 Clif Bars on a ride, I think bubble guts would take over in the worst way.

As others have mentioned, stick to what you know for tomorrow, but man, I'd take a long look at my fueling on the bike and make some adjustments.

I personally steer away from the prepared stuff and go for more real food (because of the bubble guts, don't want to pull a LeMond out there). I do some of the Allen Lim Pocket Nutrition stuff, so very small dinner roll sandwiches (my current person favorite is turkey with some swiss and a dab of honey on a savory dinner roll). But as Shovel mentioned, that's usually not before hour 2 or 3 given its a bigger calorie intake than your usual gel or something else.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreene10 View Post
Do you have a sense of whether your body needs the carbs in the Clifs or the protein? My under educated guess is that it's the carbs and you may be getting bogged down trying to digest the protein.
I tend to feel a drain in energy and a glu tends to pick me up. So based on the comments posted I'm over eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
10 scoops??? You'd almost have to chew that!! Is that a gel recipe?
Hammer's instruction are: Multiply #of scoops for bodyweight (2 scoops for me) by the number of training. Mix in a large water bottle and sip every 15-20 minutes. Consume 16-28 ounces of plain water from a separate source. So that means 2 scoops x 5 hours minimum ride time for this ride but more like 8 for me. What I've been doing is 2 scoops in the bottle and the other water bottle water only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I don't know how fit you are, or how strong. Some folks can ride 88 hard miles like it's nothing. Some lack conditioning and reserves, so have to constantly fuel after about 30 minutes or so. Also don't know how hot the ride will be, or how much you will perspire.
Unfortunately I'm neither compered to your typical cyclist. I have a friend who takes 4:20 breaks and a liquor run on centuries with out skipping a beat. I tend to perspire a lot, weather will be in the 90's in the upper elevation 70"s. I tend to drink a lot of water, earlier this week I road up to Hwy 39 in high 80's by the time i got to the base of the mountain (mile 20) i had gone through 3 water bottles and half a bottle of Hammer Perpetuam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
However....after your reserves are used up....you ride on mostly sugar...from some kind of food or drink in some form. Also...don't overlook the need for salt. Dr Mirkin, a sports Doc and nutrionist, talks about the importance of not letting your sodium deplete. Like some have said above, I wouldn't try much new on that ride. On a ride like that, especially if very hot, I mostly ride on weak diluted GatorAid and Fig bars (fig bars contain sodium). Salty chips for some salt, and maybe a Snickers bar if i get tired of fig bars. Sugar water goes into your system much faster than a sugar food, so keep the fluid intake up.
I was having that problem better switching to Hammer Perpetuam, so far so good cross my fingers.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
If I had 5 Clif Bars on a ride, I think bubble guts would take over in the worst way.

As others have mentioned, stick to what you know for tomorrow, but man, I'd take a long look at my fueling on the bike and make some adjustments.

I personally steer away from the prepared stuff and go for more real food (because of the bubble guts, don't want to pull a LeMond out there). I do some of the Allen Lim Pocket Nutrition stuff, so very small dinner roll sandwiches (my current person favorite is turkey with some swiss and a dab of honey on a savory dinner roll). But as Shovel mentioned, that's usually not before hour 2 or 3 given its a bigger calorie intake than your usual gel or something else.
Made me laugh with the bubble gut comment, not a problem for me. Not to get into TMI territory, but I have some of the best bowel movements after them rides.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
For sure too much food. A lot of what you need on a ride is dependent on how you eat in general and what you eat before the ride.

Like shovelhd said I would not change too much for the ride.

In general however I can ride sub maximally on water for 4 hours or so. The harder the effort the more carbohydrates I would consume. I also mostly ride in the morning without eating.

Yes that sounds crazy but your body gets good at what you do. However, if your ride hard then you will beed some carbs but not nearly your intake.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickR View Post
Made me laugh with the bubble gut comment, not a problem for me. Not to get into TMI territory, but I have some of the best bowel movements after them rides.
That's protein going to waste, literally. Your system can only process so much so fast. You really need protein right after the ride is over, preferably within the first 30 minutes. After my racing is done for the day, I drink a protein shake, which consists of 1.5 scoops of whey powder in 12 ounces of 2% milk. That's about 60g of protein. I have to drink it slowly, over 30 minutes or so, or else I get nauseous. It really helps minimize the muscle soreness.

On the bike I drink between 12-24 ounces per hour, depending on the weather and intensity. What works for me in races is Gatorade G2 powder, 3/4 of a scoop per tall bottle. On rides, water only, and if I don't have a feeder in races then I carry a third crush bottle of plain water which I drink first. Perpetuum would make me puke before it's even finished.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:13 AM

I'm actually doing a few longer rides this season (between 50-100 miles) I've done 60 miles and quite a few 50 mile rides but hunger and energy becomes an issue. My problem is I have an extremely sensitive stomach when it comes to power bars, cliff bars, and gels. I get the BG's (bubble guts) does anyone have similar problems and can recommend more natural and less rich ideas? I'm actually a little nervous about hitting my goal of 100 miles due to this. Ibs is a pain in the ass.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Honey Stinger waffles, those rice things. I wonder if part of your issue, other than IBS, is waiting too long to eat anything, and then eating too much.