Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2015, 01:40 PM

Wow! Great feedback everyone. Thanks!!!

Yeah, I'm looking for a set up that would work well with a low-profile sneaker ala Vans, Airwalks, etc. or sandals.

The boat shoe idea sounds great Ken, but I'm closer to the demographic that would be more concerned about their lost skateboard than looking like they just stepped off their yacht (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

Texbike
Old 03-31-2015, 02:57 PM
not banished

back in the day

Way back in the day, like 20 years ago, anyone who did mid-atlantic MTB racing expert/pro class knew a guy named Gunnar Shogren - aside from having a badass almost Tom Clancy sounding name, Gunnar had a ponytail, was sponsored by Diamond Back and powerstraps. SPD was all the rage and Mag 21 Rock Shox.

Powerstraps didn't seem to slow down Gunnar.

Last edited by velomonkey; 03-31-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 PM
v a n i l l a

power straps look good on paper but in the field not so much, as previously noted - plus they can potentially scratch/rub/mess up the upper on a better leather shoe.

I'd vote for a modern platform mtb and dial the pins way down. something basic like a crank brothers 5050. I have a few pairs and have been happy with them.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 PM

Diety compound pedals. They're my next used "deal"!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:35 PM

I also have some of the ergons.

Don't love them don't hate them and not as cool looking on a road bike as I had hoped.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/product/pc2
Old 03-31-2015, 07:19 PM

Hold Fast.

I'm biased.

That said, HOLD FAST are great straps, made in Baltimore (designed and formerly manufactured in Brooklyn) by people I know, and they work effin well.

Similar idea of the PowerGrip or whatever, but better function in all areas. I use them on my commuter bike with Blundstones. I'm not cool enough to wear Vans, particularly when it's snowing out and they might clash with my fenders, but the HoldFast straps are awesome, particularly in the arena of stopping/slowing on a fixie. Lots more support than straps and cages of yore. You can also readily adjust them on the fly (lots of velcro there), as well as set and forget them. One winter, I had them on too tight because the pedals I had put them on were plastic, so I would slip unless I tightened them, so I tightened the hell out of them, bailed super hard on a hill of ice and gravel, and had to loosen them to detach myself from my bike. Awesome straps. You can also get them in safety-first colors like blaze orange or reflective. Rock.

http://holdfastordie.com
Old 03-31-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giverdada View Post
I'm biased.

That said, HOLD FAST are great straps, made in Baltimore (designed and formerly manufactured in Brooklyn) by people I know, and they work effin well.

Similar idea of the PowerGrip or whatever, but better function in all areas. I use them on my commuter bike with Blundstones. I'm not cool enough to wear Vans, particularly when it's snowing out and they might clash with my fenders, but the HoldFast straps are awesome, particularly in the arena of stopping/slowing on a fixie. Lots more support than straps and cages of yore. You can also readily adjust them on the fly (lots of velcro there), as well as set and forget them. One winter, I had them on too tight because the pedals I had put them on were plastic, so I would slip unless I tightened them, so I tightened the hell out of them, bailed super hard on a hill of ice and gravel, and had to loosen them to detach myself from my bike. Awesome straps. You can also get them in safety-first colors like blaze orange or reflective. Rock.

http://holdfastordie.com
I'm still in favor of clip less, but that said these are pretty awesome. Have ridden these multiple times and found the worked very well.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Senior Shmoozer

Tried them once

My experience is that because they go diagonally across the top
of your foot, they apply a weird, uncomfortable feel.
They get tighter if you rotate your foot.
They also feel restrictive on rides longer than 5 miles.
There used to be a slide in foot holder that looks like an old toe
clip without the strap. Maybe that would be more natural feeling?
VF
Old 04-01-2015, 07:28 AM

I use VP-001 pedals, and they are super nice. Very grippy, even in pouring rain.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:05 AM

for around-town, i like the strapless "mini-clips" from nashbar

they locate your feet, but are quick in-and-out. perfect for the non-cycling shoes i wear when doing around-town stuff on a bike.

Last edited by wallymann; 04-01-2015 at 09:07 AM.