Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 AM

Origin of Paceline?

I did a quick/ lazy search but didn't see a thread or sticky about how this forum came to be.

Should I have searched beyond "origin paceline"?
Old 10-13-2017, 06:38 AM

Google for Serotta Forums, perhaps?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 06:38 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
I did a quick/ lazy search but didn't see a thread or sticky about how this forum came to be.

Should I have searched beyond "origin paceline"?
Serotta Forum.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:39 AM

It used to be the Serotta forum but changed names after Serotta went out of business
Old 10-13-2017, 08:20 AM

One of the (older) mods can chime in, but IIRC it goes further back, even before Serotta decided to sponsor it.

Before my time...
Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Once upon a time, there were some Neandertals living in a cave in the Lascaux region of France. They rode frequently, and were known for their ability to spear bison from a moving bike.

There was one guy among them, smarter than the rest, who realized that promoting their bison hunting from bikes on the walls of a cave was scarcely going to memorialize their achievements. So he set up a website and shared his cave drawings. Interest grew rapidly, but technology let them down in the end. Their bikes made from bison bones were ultimately supplanted by titanium bikes. The ti bikes were so much faster that their owners, newcomers from Southern California, were killing all the bison, and the Lascaux Neandertals gradually faded away. Of course, the Southern Californians tried to assimilate everything the Lascaux Neandertals had done -- that being the way of Southern Californians -- but the best they could come up with was some crazy who was obsessed with bikes and squirrels simultaneously. That encouraged the titanium bike builders to acquire the website and run it for several years. Finally, there was a renascence of bison bone frames (right after the bamboo and right before the laminated wood ones) and the titanium frame builders let the website go. It was taken over by a few people who longed for the Neandertal life again. And that's where we are today.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

I only go back to 2002, when it was the Kahuna/Serotta Forum. Before that, I don't know.

As I remember it, Kahuna had several forums for his own interests and did all the work to keep it going, much like Keith does today. The Serotta part of the forum ended up being very popular, partly because of the dedication of Serotta customers and partly because of a general group of knowledgeable participants on all things cycling. Many people, like me, came to learn about Serottas and stayed because of the general knowledge and community.

After a time it became big, and somewhere along the line, I don't remember exactly when, the Serotta company took control of the board, became the sponsor, and took over the hosting and moderating from Kahuna. Then later, as Serotta started to struggle, it was spun off as independent again, changed the name, a group of participants became the moderators, and it became what you see today.

For those of us who have been around since the Kahuna days, there have been a lot of ups and downs. We have had internal spats, had temporary shut downs, have had a major group split off and form a new forum when they didn't like the vibe here, and eventually settled to a steady state we have now. Aware of causes and effect, the current group of moderators work hard to maintain a steady community the reflects the best of what we have been since the Kahuna days.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:54 AM
needs adult supervision

Building on what Bradford wrote, Kahuna was where this all began. I hope I'm remembering this correctly, Kahuna was a very talented tech guy who did the Forum as a passion/hobby while is day job was, I believe, doing computer stuff for the Defense Department. Which created this cool image in my head: doing super serious, important tech stuff by day, while building/maintaining our little sandbox at night. As I said, I hope this memory isn't apocryphal because it makes a cool origin story.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

I don’t remember what the forum was named when Kahuna ran it but the forum had lots of subforums each dedicated to one bike brand Calfee, Serotta, Litespeed , etc . I don’t remember all the brands covered but Serotta took over running a forum with their own mods most famously Serotta Pete. It then transformed to the current iteration that included a split in the group several years ago.
I wish I could remember the forum name when Kahuna ran it but inspired me to start looking at all the many high quality framebuilders out there.

Or maybe it was all really what 11.4 said.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Administrator

I've been hit in the head a few times so bear (or is that bare? ) with me...

I came in in 04 and it was the Serotta Forum at that point but not under control of Serotta. Then Ben and company took it over for a while and I believe (as I remember it) he or someone in the company decided that the other builder's contributing here should pony up some $$ for the exposure they were getting on the "Serotta forum". Pretty sure that's what spurred the split. Then later the forum was spun off as Ben and Co were having financial issues and some concerned members took it over and changed it to The Paceline Forum.

That leaves us where we are today.

William
Old 10-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Administrator

I like 11.4's explanation better, disregard what I posted above!

William
Old 10-13-2017, 10:58 AM
You still here?

‘Kahuna’ (Gary) was based in Hawaii when he hosted the Hydromedia Phorum. As Gasman said it was a bicycle enthusiasts forum with sub forums for specific brands: Calfee Fan Club, Serotta Fan Club, etc. IIRC he was asked to ‘create’ a specific forum for Serotta and migrate the Fan Club members to the new Serotta Enthusiasts forum in mid 2003. About the same time Gary was having some personal issues, his wife was ill I think, so his attention was diverted. I’m not sure how the Serotta-sponsored forum, the predecessor the the Paceline, came about or who was the driving force behind it but here we are now.

I bought my first Serotta, an Atlanta, from someone on the Serotta Fan Club in 2000. A couple dozen Serotta later I’m still a fanboy.

Last edited by dave thompson; 10-13-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
‘Kahuna’ (Gary) was based in Hawaii when he hosted the Hydromedia Phorum. As Gasman said it was a bicycle enthusiasts forum with sub forums for specific brands: Calfee Fan Club, Serotta Fan Club, etc. IIRC he was asked to ‘create’ a specific forum for Serotta and migrate the Fan Club members to the new Serotta Enthusiasts forum in mid 2003. About the same time Gary was having some personal issues, his wife was ill I think, so his attention was diverted. I’m not sure how the Serotta-sponsored forum, the predecessor the the Paceline, came about or who was the driving force behind it but here we are now.

I bought my first Serotta, an Atlanta, from someone on the Serotta Fan Club in 2000. A couple dozen Serotta later I’m still a fanboy.
What Dave said. Kahuna had a cool Spectrum Mr Kellog made for him.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:56 AM

old folks from the olden days

Too much wine down the hatch to remember all the way back but my addiction (to bikes) and the forum goes back to before 2003. I can remember the days of Dave showing photos of his Cha Ching green Atlanta perched against the fence in his backyard.

Shortly after that I bought my gorgeous, but ultimately too small Harlequin CSI and that was the start of my devotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post

Old 10-13-2017, 12:00 PM

Once upon a time there were a couple dentists who didn’t want to ride their serottas and they turned to the internet to talk with other like minded fair weather cyclists