Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 PM

OT: Handmade shoes

There was a time when I wore either Doc Martens or Clarks Desert boots (love that crepe sole) almost exclusively, but the quality of both have just plummeted over the last decade.

Does anyone get handmade casual shoes made? (I don't expect them to be cheap, but when you're paying $140 for a pair of 'nice' shoes that fall apart or look like crap after a few months, you start thinking about alternatives...)

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:14 PM

I am a fan of Alden. I don't own their casual boots but they look nice. I have about 6 pairs of shoes and a couple are 25 years old.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I am a fan of Alden. I don't own their casual boots but they look nice. I have about 6 pairs of shoes and a couple are 25 years old.
i very regularly wear my Alden Indys. Great boot.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

My sister lives in Maine, and I like to support local industries there if I can, so I've been getting my non-hiking and non-cycling shoes here:

https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/

I highly recommend them, and their Ranger Mocs are super comfortable.

https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/m...anger-moc.html

Edit: Some of the "big name" shoes (e.g. a few AE models) are made by Rancourt.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I shall have a pair before I leave this Earth.

Cool boot
Old 09-25-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Paceline turned me on to Alden. Highest recommendation. Sign up for Shoe Mart's Seconds emails. ~30% off on a lot of styles.

I'm looking for a Cigar Cordovan Indy, if anyone knows where to find one!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
My sister lives in Maine, and I like to support local industries there if I can, so I've been getting my non-hiking and non-cycling shoes here:

https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/

I highly recommend them, and their Ranger Mocs are super comfortable.

https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/m...anger-moc.html

Edit: Some of the "big name" shoes (e.g. a few AE models) are made by Rancourt.
I have some Rancourt boots- just sent them in to get resoled and refurbed. Their fully leather lined boots are ridiculously comfortable and high quality.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojingoh View Post
Paceline turned me on to Alden. Highest recommendation. Sign up for Shoe Mart's Seconds emails. ~30% off on a lot of styles.

I'm looking for a Cigar Cordovan Indy, if anyone knows where to find one!
The San Diego store lists them on their site.

I have some cigar cordovan loafers......the color is so deep....would look stunning on boots.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:09 PM

Finn Comfort (if you have foot issues)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 PM

Another Alden fan.

Indys, cordavan chuckas and a pair of cordavan dress boots.

While I have no experience with them oak street boot makers look promising and more affordable than Alden.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 AM

Handmade

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
There was a time when I wore either Doc Martens or Clarks Desert boots (love that crepe sole) almost exclusively, but the quality of both have just plummeted over the last decade.

Does anyone get handmade casual shoes made? (I don't expect them to be cheap, but when you're paying $140 for a pair of 'nice' shoes that fall apart or look like crap after a few months, you start thinking about alternatives...)

Thanks!
I'm confused, to my knowledge I am unaware that either Clark's or Doc Martens are "handmade". I would suggest that is an unlikely situation for a shoe selling for $140.

If you are seeking a quality shoe, that is well made, that fits properly and is comfortable to wear then you should look at Allen Edmonds. I have flat feet and shoes that do not fit properly tend to make my feeet hurt. The make both casual and dress shoes, some with crepe rubber soles. Good thing is they can be "recrafted", at least most models. But.... They will set you back more than $140. You can find them at a discount at Allen Edmonds outlet stores.

Allen Edmonds are likely much closer to "handmade" than the shoes you mentioned and were once among the best things made in the US along with Boeing aircraft.

Ray
Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
The Indy boots are really nice, I've had a pair for a dozen years and still love them. I also have a pair of the cordovan chukka boots that are also great if a little nicer than I'd wear most days.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I'm confused, to my knowledge I am unaware that either Clark's or Doc Martens are "handmade". I would suggest that is an unlikely situation for a shoe selling for $140...

Allen Edmonds are likely much closer to "handmade" than the shoes you mentioned and were once among the best things made in the US along with Boeing aircraft.

Ray
Depends what one mean by "handmade" right? Almost no shoe is handmade in that its cut and sewn by a person's hands, except extremely high-priced shoes (i.e., >$2500/pair). Almost all shoes use some machining. The question is how much time-consuming machining and in what form. Like bikes, the only way to know if a shoe is good for your foot is to put it on and walk around.

By the way, in addition to Rancourt one can also name a similar Maine-based company for a similar look: Quoddy.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:44 AM

If you want hand-made (bespoke), go to a large horse show , find either Der Dau or E.Vogel, and get a pair of paddock boots made. Depending on what you want, these will set you back a bit ($1000, maybe more- do you want crocodile?)

You can try RedWing boots. The heritage boots and chukkas are still tough as nails and will take a bit of breaking it.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/eu/EU...y=6-inch-boots

http://www.redwingheritage.com/eu/EU...tegory=chukkas

as a kid growing up in Minnesota, I had to have a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Hey -you can still get Doc Martens that are made in England on the original equipment. They are a bit more expensive and you have to order from their site, but I have been for several years now. I work in a Test Lab that is constantly wet, water oil, etc. I wait until the Holidays, then you get a coupon.
http://www.drmartens.com/us/c/mens-made-in-england