Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2016, 03:36 PM

Stolen bikes deja vu

This is probably the only place on the internet that can understand the sinking feeling I have in my stomach since my wife called this morning to let me know that thieves stole two bikes from our garage (again). Unfortunately, unlike the last time when they made off with a run of the mill Scott mountain bike, this time they grabbed my beloved Firefly 650b Rando bike and my essentially new Bedford SS mountain bike.

The two bikes were going to get cleaned up and I hadn't locked them up, which is what I resorted to after the last time this happened.

I keep vacilating between being furious and just really sad. I know it's just stuff, and stuff can be replaced. But the hours I spent planning and discussing the builds, and the months/years I waited for them to be built, and the joy I had riding them, all of that conspires to really bum me out.

Old 09-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Administrator

i'm really sorry to hear this. thieves are such scumbags.

the community here will keep an eye out, i'm sure. i know you will contact firefly and kelly too, they can use their network in case these pop up somewhere.

i guess they just strip these for parts, but they are so unique, i dont get how they expect to move the frames without getting caught.

and YES, we do understand the emotional investment of time and thinking that goes into a custom (or any beloved bike), and you are certainly not wrong or crazy to feel sad that they are gone.

of course, it's a plus that you and your family are safe, but that violated feeling is hard to get over, i'm sure.

scumbags!

wishing you the best.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:04 PM
Kind of OK

Isn't there a national stolen bike database?
Old 09-19-2016, 04:12 PM

That sucks. Those are such unique bikes...how would one fence them?
Old 09-19-2016, 05:04 PM

Is there a smiley/emoji/icon for broken heart?

I would counter-argue that, on a certain level, they're not "just things". You've invested time and emotion into them. Yes, they're physical objects and in that sense replaceable. But if my Bianchi gets stolen, I literally can't replace it because it's my first good bicycle. I may be able to buy a second-hand Bianchi that's the same model (and likely in better shape), but it's not the one that I put miles and miles and miles into.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:26 PM

Very sorry to hear this. We'll keep an eye out for those and hopefully these pieces of $@#! get caught. Do you have renters or homeowners insurance that will cover this?

Since you mentioned that this has happened before, how are they getting into the garage? Was the door temporarily open or are they physically breaking in? I worry about this constantly since SF has a serious property crime problem (a "city of thieves" as my wife calls it).
Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 PM

Those two bikes are recognizable, frames gonna have to show up somewhere.

Hope you find them soon.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:24 PM

Garages is something people needs to start locking from the inside, we don't use ours and the garage has two locks form the inside, no matter how much you pull that door, it wont go anywhere. Even if you get inside of the house using any other door, the dogs are not going to be too happy to see you moving around either.

And even if the sucker avoid the dogs somehow, the guy needs to open the door from the house to the garage, that door has 3 locks and a metal frame, only 2 people know where the keys are. The only way to open that door is maybe using a chainsaw because there is no way to kick that door down w/o braking your shoulder 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
Very sorry to hear this. We'll keep an eye out for those and hopefully these pieces of $@#! get caught. Do you have renters or homeowners insurance that will cover this?

Since you mentioned that this has happened before, how are they getting into the garage? Was the door temporarily open or are they physically breaking in? I worry about this constantly since SF has a serious property crime problem (a "city of thieves" as my wife calls it).
Old 09-19-2016, 06:29 PM

Hearing things like this breaks my heart. Screw thieves.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:30 PM

That's just horrible news. Horrible. Sorry Dude.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:42 PM

Will keep my eyes open on the Net. We managed to recover stolen bikes locally in pawn shops. Spread the word.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:58 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Oh god, that is awful. So sorry, hope they turn up.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Administrator

I also shared this thread to the Paceline Facebook page...the more people that know...the more eyes out there looking out for them. I hope you get them back.

William
Old 09-19-2016, 07:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

sorry to hear and I have loved that firefly for a long time (I know this doesn't make you feel better). However, there is no way a thieve is going to be able to sell those bikes, those 2 are so specific that it is going to be a hard sell.

They will surface and I think you will see them again.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:33 PM

Sick and a bit gutted I imagine. 2 cool and very unique bikes. Best of luck in your recovery efforts!

This is exactly why my wife and daughter have to put up with bikes in the way around the house. Until my garage is fully partitioned for depth in defense, the best ones stay inside, and "in the way".

Sorry for your loss sir!