Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2015, 04:04 AM

SRAM/Shimano BB conversion

I use SRAM Rival (GXP) cranks on my road bike, but I seem to wear out the drive side bearings quite quickly. The BB's are about double the price of the Shimano ones at the moment.

Is it possible to convert SRAM cranks to work with a Shimano BB? Or Alternatively, could I use a Shimano drive side cup with a SRAM non drive side cup?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:11 AM
Lanterne rouge

I don't think you can mix them up. Shimano uses a 24mm spindle and sHram uses a 24mm drive with a 22mm non drive.
How quickly do you wear one out? I have been running a King for years and with just a annual service it will last for many more years. Maybe get a good bottom bracket? Steer clear of ceramic. They don't last.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
I use SRAM Rival (GXP) cranks on my road bike, but I seem to wear out the drive side bearings quite quickly. The BB's are about double the price of the Shimano ones at the moment.

Is it possible to convert SRAM cranks to work with a Shimano BB? Or Alternatively, could I use a Shimano drive side cup with a SRAM non drive side cup?
No, spindle width differences left to right and over all length. Just swap to a 6700 or even 5700 crank, 5700 BB and be done with it. Better chainrings to boot.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 AM

Ive removed my SRAM BB so I'm going to take a look at it later. I don't have a Shimano BB to hand though.

Is there anything to stop me using one of these adaptors with a Shimano BB so I can run a SRAM chainset?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/h...r/rp-prod26899

Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 AM

You can use Wheels Manufacturing adapters. However all steel bearing GXP BB's are pretty much the same. Use Apex as it's the cheapest.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Bringing this thread back to life to ask if anyone has experience with the spacers on Shimano bottom brackets?

Regards!

Paul
Old 09-26-2017, 12:16 PM

You typically don't need them unless you're using something other than a 68 or 70mm shell.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:06 PM

Chris King seems to be the GXP BB upgrade choice. You can get their tool and service your BB at will with new grease. Pays for itself after a couple of uses.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Chris King seems to be the GXP BB upgrade choice. You can get their tool and service your BB at will with new grease. Pays for itself after a couple of uses.
I love CK stuff but I'm not a fan of their BB's for GXP. they work great for Shimano, but have excessive drag with GXP, in every bike I've tried them in.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:47 PM

Regarding Chris King, i still need to buy a conversion kit which is essentially just a spacer kit (Spacer kit #9) for it to fit with GXP.

Essentially, it'd be the same as going Shimano with one of the spacers previously mentioned, right?
A Dura-Ace/XTR bottom bracket (shell is 68mm) would be the option i'm going for...
Old 09-26-2017, 05:30 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaAndBikes View Post
Regarding Chris King, i still need to buy a conversion kit which is essentially just a spacer kit (Spacer kit #9) for it to fit with GXP.

Essentially, it'd be the same as going Shimano with one of the spacers previously mentioned, right?
A Dura-Ace/XTR bottom bracket (shell is 68mm) would be the option i'm going for...
I've been using a King adpater/spacer kit to use a SRAM spindled crank in a Shimano BB> Just use the sleeve on the spindle to reduce the ND side to 22 and add the thick metal spacer before putting on the NDside crank arm.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
I've been using a King adpater/spacer kit to use a SRAM spindled crank in a Shimano BB> Just use the sleeve on the spindle to reduce the ND side to 22 and add the thick metal spacer before putting on the NDside crank arm.
Thanks for the feedback, i'll try one of those cheap(er) kits from eBay to see if it works and (maybe) save 22$ in the process.