Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 12:38 AM

^
Wow, excellent news and good karma!

How far is the bicycle from your house? The buyer thought that the sellers were the thieves? Why? But if so, perhaps the Bedford can be found as well?
Old 09-26-2017, 12:39 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy11 View Post
He related that he happened across it at a yard sale last month and picked it up for $350 (bargained down from $700 the presumed thieving pricks were asking).
Great news!

But given how long it's been since it was originally stolen, it seems unlikely to me that he bought the bike from the thieves who originally stole it - what are the odds that they would just sit on it all this time? I would imagine that their MO is to unload any stolen stuff as quickly as possible.

Enjoy your "new old bike," I hope it's still in good shape.

Edit: Looks like we had some cross-posting above. Several folks wondering the same thing I did.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:40 AM

Happy ending. Enjoy!
Old 09-26-2017, 03:57 AM

Wow...made my day!

SPP
Old 09-26-2017, 06:16 AM

Wow. Great that you got your bike back, but even greater to know that there are decent folks out there that do the right thing like the guy who returned it.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Once I got over the shock about the Firefly, I actually wondered the same thing about the Bedford. The bike turned up not particularly far from my house - maybe 3 miles east or so. However, the Good Samaritan said he didn’t see another bike at the yard sale. He was in the area for work (he actually lives well south of me) and couldn’t pinpoint the location offhand, just the general area. I probably will cruise the area to see if there are more yard sales this weekend but don’t actually expect anything.

I am curious how the bike ended up there - perhaps its unfair to presume the guy who sold it stole it. But I’ll be content with getting it back. You know to top it off, the guy who found it happens to be a former bike mechanic. The bike was filthy and grimy and he tuned her up nice.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy11 View Post
Once I got over the shock about the Firefly, I actually wondered the same thing about the Bedford. The bike turned up not particularly far from my house - maybe 3 miles east or so. However, the Good Samaritan said he didn’t see another bike at the yard sale. He was in the area for work (he actually lives well south of me) and couldn’t pinpoint the location offhand, just the general area. I probably will cruise the area to see if there are more yard sales this weekend but don’t actually expect anything.

I am curious how the bike ended up there - perhaps its unfair to presume the guy who sold it stole it. But I’ll be content with getting it back. You know to top it off, the guy who found it happens to be a former bike mechanic. The bike was filthy and grimy and he tuned her up nice.
At this point I'd not look a gift horse in the mouth though I'd be suspicious as all get out of the seller ( I think he did it). I'm really happy for you. Anyway,there is no way on hell will anyone steal one of my bikes without drawing attention to himself due to how I have them locked within the house (gated entranceway)or even my commuter in the garage (two sliding bolts and dead bolted).
Old 09-26-2017, 01:44 PM

awesome

I am happy you got your bike back. I've had bikes stolen out of my garage. The most recent incident was when some homeless people took my BMC and an older Trek. I ended up getting it back from a good samaritan but it was stripped of its accessories. how is yours?

Sidenote: my GF actually saw the homeless people in her yard the night it happened but she was half asleep and thought they left so she was just relieved. The guy who bought the bike off the street from these people who were just walking them down the sidewalk described them and it was a match. We called the police when we saw them again but there was nothing they could do but talk to them. Oh well.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:07 PM

I sometimes have the garage door open and all the bike booty just sitting out on display. I remind my two small kids to not leave the door open (they've forgotten and its been left open for hours unattended).

We live in a well-to-do neighbourhood (as scumbag renters!!) but just this weekend, a homeless guy showed up at our doorstep to ask if he could do yard work for pay - never seen that before where I live.

My heart goes out to people in that horrible position, but it raised my spidey senses about securing the doors, especially with little ones who don't think of these things.

Great news about the Firefly - amazing bike!
Old 09-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Awesome news!!!

So glad you got your bike back.

William
Old 09-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Administrator

PS: Just wanted to remind the forum members about the "Stolen Bike" thread. Always report it here...you never know.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=142624

William
Old 09-26-2017, 05:31 PM
cnighbor2

Local SF Bike rental solution to stolen bikes theirs

Local SF Bike rental solution to stolen bikes theirs
They add 100 very small clips that can be detected miles away
With so many no way thief can remove all
That will end thief of bikes and your Ferrari
Old 09-26-2017, 05:57 PM

I have a separate "sports equipment" insurance policy with State Farm for my Moots Vamoots RSL.

The coverage is $9500 and costs $110 a year.

No questions asked.