Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i understand if you dont want to get into it, but how is it that he winds up with two bikes that are completely paid for?
No problem:

Deposit is $500 so Billy can order parts.
Billy to client: I have your parts and am going to begin working on your bike. Please send me $500.
Billy to client: I have begun working on your bike and it is nearing completion. Please send me the balance.

So,

Billy to Seth: I am sending your bike to painting, please send the remainder of the funds.
Billy to me: I am going to be finishing up your bike now. Please send me the third payment.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
name him. prevent others from making the same mistake, and, this is pessimistic of me, potentially becoming a mark if his rehab fails again..
I have to agree here. Not doing anything about it or letting it slide only makes it easier for the behavior to continue and get other people duped as well.

William
Old 09-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think Frank the Welder is a reliable guy/ never heard a single bad thing about him so its not fair to say that.

but yes, Spooky was a disaster of a business.

I agree here as well, never heard of an issue with FTW.

William
Old 09-19-2017, 02:35 PM
cmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAO View Post
No problem:

Deposit is $500 so Billy can order parts.
Billy to client: I have your parts and am going to begin working on your bike. Please send me $500.
Billy to client: I have begun working on your bike and it is nearing completion. Please send me the balance.

So,

Billy to Seth: I am sending your bike to painting, please send the remainder of the funds.
Billy to me: I am going to be finishing up your bike now. Please send me the third payment.
Time for a drive to Bill's storage and recover what's left if anything. been fortunate to have had a few custom built, always ask for shot of what's been done, no guarantee their showing me mine but...

Last edited by cmg; 09-19-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Yes but addiction is a terrible thing and I'm having a tough time holding him responsible. It's getting harder and harder to give him the benefit of the doubt though, as the doubt dries up.
I recently sat on jury duty, and there seems to be far too many people in our society that are willing to give addicts a pass. I have a nephew that struggles with addiction, and I believe nothing positive comes from allowing addicts to go through life without being responsible for their errors. Something has to drive them to change/get help.

Sorry to hear your story, I wish you good luck.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
Time for a drive to Bill's storage and recover what's left if anything.
time to find out when his storage unit will be auctioned off....

Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM

You are infantilizing your welder.

Confront him.

Find a way to make yourself, and the friends you enticed, whole.

Tell us all about it.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:47 PM

I try to stay out of these things but this is too easy.

I heard "addiction", "broke" and "parts"

There is likely no parts to be returned at this point.

When the builder told you at the start he couldn't make ends meet followed by "messengering for extra cash" thereby delaying builds(should be more money there), you shoulda bolted.

40hr for a welded aluminum(my assumption) frame pre-paint, carbon fork is about 32hr too many for a professional builder.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:49 PM

You guys are making a lot of assumptions about what Billy has in storage. (I'm sorry to say this) but if it can be sold, it probably has been. Get all the small claims judgments you want but good luck collecting. Spend your mental energy on something productive. Best case: Billy cleans up and makes amends one day. But forming a posse and going after Billy and his sister isn't going to help anyone or recover anything. This wasn't exactly a secret in the NYC bike scene and I'm sorry ANAO let himself get played like this.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
You guys are making a lot of assumptions about what Billy has in storage. (I'm sorry to say this) but if it can be sold, it probably has been. Get all the small claims judgments you want but good luck collecting. Spend your mental energy on something productive. Best case: Billy cleans up and makes amends one day. But forming a posse and going after Billy and his sister isn't going to help anyone or recover anything. This wasn't exactly a secret in the NYC bike scene and I'm sorry ANAO let himself get played like this.
I'm agreeing a lot here today...just out him and move on. Like has been said, there is likely nothing left having been sold off and used to fuel the addiction. Just try and warn others not to fall into the same trap and furthering the addiction.

William
Old 09-19-2017, 03:09 PM

I got lied to and burned by a house painter last year. It was on top of what was the single worst year of my life and I was not in a good place to begin with. It sucks to look at it all with the benefit of hindsight and seeing how I was fooled. I had so much anger at myself. When I would have visions of myself hurting the guy I knew I had to do what I could to put it out of mind and move on.

People take advantage of others everyday and it sucks. Everyone can post that you should've know better and you should've done this or that. None of that is helpful now. You've learned whatever lessons are there for you. I'd say the episode requires nor deserves any more of your energy. Out the guy to warn others, realize that the money/parts are gone for good and move on.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Category VI

So, claim a loss in April and have the government send it directly to somebody else who makes sweet custom crit race bikes for my net deposit?

I guess I feel like I'm generally a pretty good guy and try to do the right thing whenever I can and people don't usually want to try to screw me. I still haven't accepted the fact that he was trying to screw me. I still don't have reason to believe that.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:26 PM
bourbon!

I assume you have a full list of what has been paid and sent to this guy. With corresponding MSRP at today's values.

I'd try and figure out a way to get into that storage unit and get back whatever you could, if there is anything left.

Can the police or courts help you get in somehow? Or be nice to the sister and see if she can facilitate getting you in there. If this guy is decent, he'll give his sister a key and tell you to go get your stuff.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
So, claim a loss in April and have the government send it directly to somebody else who makes sweet custom crit race bikes for my net deposit?

I guess I feel like I'm generally a pretty good guy and try to do the right thing whenever I can and people don't usually want to try to screw me. I still haven't accepted the fact that he was trying to screw me. I still don't have reason to believe that.
that's totally fair..and you should keep that attitude for most people. but addicts are not the status quo. regardless of what he intended, what happened did happen. gamblers don't set out intending to lose all of their money, and addicts don't set out intending to steal from or manipulate people to get their next fix. but that's still the result. and until someone, usually someone affected by it, makes it abundantly clear to them that their behavior is intolerable, they won't be getting the solid kick in rump they need to make a change.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

He wasn't trying to screw you as a person directly. He was/is just feeding his habit. People in the depths of addiction don't care about anybody or anything other than feeding their habit. I've seen in too many times.

Move on for your own sanity you'll not get anything from him. Oh , and out him to protect others.