Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Glory bound

OT: Another "What Car Should I Get?" thread

Outgoing: Beloved Viggen (MT, roomy hatch, fantastic Recaro seats (I can drive this baby to Syracuse and back in a day, or to races 3 hours away, with zero discomfort.) Reliability issues and high repair costs after 110K miles finally convinced me its time for it to cross that rainbow bridge.

Remaining in the stable:
'97 Lexus E300; crazy low mileage (it was mother-in-law's car), plus it now has the hitch mount for the 1Up rack, so this will be the family cruiser for a while (I hope.)
'03 Jetta wagon (1.8 turbo) for train station service, hauling duties, etc. Okay on the highway, but last on our list of current options. 110k miles, too.

So, I don't really need to replace the SAAB, but that that kind of thinking doesn't apply to bike purchases, either. File under first world problems. We will almost certainly be leasing.

Under consideration:
Civic R type: 300 hp, MT. hatch, what's not to love? That ridiculous wing and the red & black interior, plus I expect dealers will be price-gouging the heck out of these.
Buick (yes, Buick!) Regal Tour X wagon: Rebadged Opel, but not available until next year.
VW Arteon: new and improved CC, but also not until next year. Should I consider the current CC?

Any thoughts on these or others we should be looking at?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Nothing to add other than to say I really miss my 2002 Saab 9-3SE.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Administrator

i'd like to add that i dont consider 110k miles "high" for a modern automobile...

if you like the car and it's comfortable, why not just pay someone to go through it thoroughly and get it to top condition and drive it for another 100k miles?

that cost will dwarf the cost of getting a new car...
Old 09-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Classics Fan

VW GTI - Friend just got one for like 5 below sticker price. They're blowing them out apparently. A lot of car for the money.

I like that new Camry commercial with the Queen song, but that is no reason to buy a car.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:16 AM
ZhugeLiang

Old 09-19-2017, 11:18 AM
That guy..

Golf R > Type R Civic

The civic is hideous and a disgrace to the family of Type R's imo.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:21 AM
aka RAEKWON

I was going to say, I would get a golf R anytime over a civic. That civic looks ridiculous, fast yes but I would not drive that unless I was 17. Golf R is also all wheel drive which is awesome.

Oh also ford RS. But the interior is garbage, if you don't care about that, its very sweet.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:27 AM

Golf R with AWD would be an excellent choice. They look good. They are plenty fast.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Civic Type R. It'll be infinitely more reliable than the Golf R.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM

Kinda fond of Chevy's myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0162A.jpg (117.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Golf R > Type R Civic

The civic is hideous and a disgrace to the family of Type R's imo.
I love the crap out of my '16 Golf R. Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Just one caveat for the dedicated 3-pedal folks like myself. It was in all honesty designed around the admittedly very good DSG transmission. A 6MT is offered, which is what I have because 3 pedals is > 2, but it is the only thing that feels like an afterthought in the car. It was essentially lifted right out of the GTI and it lacks the strength, durability, and finesse that the rest of the car oozes from every pore. Clutch is under engineered for the power. Stock tune owners are showing slipping in as early as 15k miles. Even a conservative overboost flash like the JB1/4 can nuke the clutch in 5K (depending on driving style of course). Also the shift linkages are a little sloppy. The shifter feel is an easy and cheap fix. The clutch not so much but there are very good aftermarket options available that will readily handle up to stage 3 if you are willing to put in the money. Personally, I'm going to leave it as stock till the OEM clutch goes, then upgrade the clutch + a JB4 or stage 1 tune. 340+hp with a beefy disk and pressure plate to lock it up will be a riot.

Those caveats aside, the R is a near perfect car for me. Plenty of interior space including kiddos and their gear in the back. 32mpg cruising at 75 on the highway and GOES LIKE STINK when you are on the wood. Oh and the adaptive suspension + AWD is outstanding. Summer time with some sticky tires it handles like it is on rails and with snow tires, the best handling winter driver I've owned.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Civic Type R. It'll be infinitely more reliable than the Golf R.
Not sure I agree... Mk7 R's have been holding up pretty well from what I've seen on the forums and I didn't hear about much beyond normal things from the Mk6 Rs. Also one of the only VW's you can buy in the US that is still manufactured in Germany.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM

scooby WRX or WRX STI?

bmw 3 series?

MB C class?

lots of good options out there that'll be more reliable and equal costs, maybe as much fun to drive.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Not sure I agree... Mk7 R's have been holding up pretty well from what I've seen on the forums and I didn't hear about much beyond normal things from the Mk6 Rs. Also one of the only VW's you can buy in the US that is still manufactured in Germany.
My VI GTI has been dead reliable since I bought it, but I'm still going on company history more than anything. Never mind that one is completely cash strapped right now thanks to the worst automotive production scandal ever.

Besides, the Civic looks a bit more bonkers. As much I love my VW, they are a bit boring aesthetically. Shouldn't a hot hatch be a bit weird?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquer View Post
Outgoing: Beloved Viggen (MT, roomy hatch, fantastic Recaro seats (I can drive this baby to Syracuse and back in a day, or to races 3 hours away, with zero discomfort.) Reliability issues and high repair costs after 110K miles finally convinced me its time for it to cross that rainbow bridge.

Remaining in the stable:
'97 Lexus E300; crazy low mileage (it was mother-in-law's car), plus it now has the hitch mount for the 1Up rack, so this will be the family cruiser for a while (I hope.)
'03 Jetta wagon (1.8 turbo) for train station service, hauling duties, etc. Okay on the highway, but last on our list of current options. 110k miles, too.

So, I don't really need to replace the SAAB, but that that kind of thinking doesn't apply to bike purchases, either. File under first world problems. We will almost certainly be leasing.

Under consideration:
Civic R type: 300 hp, MT. hatch, what's not to love? That ridiculous wing and the red & black interior, plus I expect dealers will be price-gouging the heck out of these.
Buick (yes, Buick!) Regal Tour X wagon: Rebadged Opel, but not available until next year.
VW Arteon: new and improved CC, but also not until next year. Should I consider the current CC?

Any thoughts on these or others we should be looking at?
What is it that you're looking to accomplish with the new car? What does it need to do? What will its purpose be in life? Strictly a fun car or ?

Texbike